Fishing Report When Lake Erie blows, Ontario delivers.

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Would have loved to go back to the lighthouse for more Steelhead excitement, but Erie wasn’t having it and Lake Ontario is flat as a pancake. Good way to wrap up my vacation.

First off, kings are far easier to land then acrobatic steelhead. Got 9/9 so far but 7 were babies. These two are coming home to spend some time with the Traeger then coming with us to a BBQ tomorrow.

Big ones on flasher fly combo, small ones on spoons in 130fow.B0CE71C5-662E-48BA-AC2D-33A2A4FCE460.jpeg

Solution
Yup, Brown. Maxillary beyond the eye is the best ID feature here. The Maxillary of an Atlantic will not extend past the eye (except in a few very large male specimens in full spawning colours. Never seen an example in the Great Lakes). The general shape and thickness of the caudal peduncle (wrist of the tail) are also good indicators.
IMG_20220722_161944.jpg

Josh
The one on the right in this picture is a Coho.

In the other image top and third are Coho's as Josh pointed out. Grey gums, no black tongue.
View attachment 61132

Back tongue doesnt always Indicate chinny...these Coho that Michigan are dumping in have some funny traits! Some look suspiciously like hybrids tbh 🤷 Here's the tongue of the Coho I got today, pretty dark....
IMG_20220726_210331.jpg

And as I've been noticing on many Coho, there's obvious spotting on the lower half of the tail which seems to become more prominent and obvious towards spawning.
IMG_20220726_210601.jpg
Strange.....

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks