Off Topic Body bait strategy this year.

NSF-Climate-Lake-Erie-Basin-Map.jpg

I can confirm that fishing out of port Stanley, during the July and August months they are targeting smelt for sure. I have the remains of their lunch left in the bottom of my live well. I've pulled out full smelt that had to of just been eaten. It's not even digested. Funny the flicker minnows or rippling red fins will ALWAYS out fish the live target. It has to be the action, we troll at higher speeds 2-2.5mph.

Yeah, the live targets look good but overall I've been disappointed. I do love the brown frog popper. It absolutely outperforms every other top water on the grand river.

I've got a buddy that swears by the Golden shiner for central basin rainbows. Never asked him if it does well for walleye because an old boot with some hooks attached will get a limit some days. 😜

Its interesting that Eastern Basin diets are mostly goby. That means the walleye are feeding off bottom as gobys do not have air bladders and can't suspend. Might have more luck jigging for walleye than trolling if you can locate them

ripplin red fins get big cats too

Attachments

• 20210808_070306.jpg
    20210808_070306.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210808_070242.jpg
    20210808_070242.jpg
    689.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Greasy chicken
A nice size walleye that you are holding up & a good looking haircut 💇‍♂️as well 👍👍@Dmanwithnoname you Nerd!! lol 😂 🤣😉 Cheers 🍻!! Tight lines & a 6 Walleye limit ON!!…. on Lake Erie,this summer my friend 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Last edited:
The best lure for me last year by a long shot was a Ripplin Redfin in either black and gold or perch or blue and silver. I would hazard a guess that the RRF caught 75 to 80% of my fish, both Walleye and Steelhead.
Your redfins have done better than mine they have only caught about 6 in last 3 years maybe i.m doing something wrong👾

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks