Fishing Report How's the Ice

Boltzz

I am so glad that we have had cooperative weather for a hard water season this year. It is great as a fisherman and great for the local businesses that are benefitting from the cold weather. I know it is early but if anyone is out today and can give me an update on how the ice/snow is after yesterday's crappy weather I would appreciate it. I haven't missed a weekend since it has been safe to do so. I am bringing a friend this weekend that doesn't do much ice fishing so I want to make sure it is a good experience for him. I don't think either of us care if the fishing is hot and heavy but if we have to struggle through slush and deep snow to get out he may never come again.

I am out right now. Left out of state Willy's. If you don't have a snowmobile don't bother. Lots of wet slush spots all over. Would be a bitch on ATV with tires or walking. We just set up 10 min ago west of pressure crack a bit in closer to shore more than the others. So far don't like the looks of bottom here. Open parking lot. Might go on sled and pop a CPL holes to see if can find some vegetation.

Thanks for the feedback. I will be going with a quad. Fingers crossed that the next couple of cold nights and some sled traffic firm it up. I will be watching this before I decide.

Thanks Again

Great.. NOW how is the fishing ???? Hope it is GOOOOOOD.............

Great.. NOW how is the fishing ???? Hope it is GOOOOOOD.............
Slow. But that's the story of my life. Will give it another hour in this spot here then maybe move back over the crack around hut city.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220203_111108_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220203_111108_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 62
just got home i use s quad to pull a portable hut
its nasty with lots of slush everywhere
made it through but barley
fishing was really slow only managed a few
not going again until it hardens up probably a coupe days
and it should be good again

just got home i use s quad to pull a portable hut
its nasty with lots of slush everywhere
made it through but barley
fishing was really slow only managed a few
not going again until it hardens up probably a coupe days
and it should be good again
Thanks for the update & good to know @rpar especially about the ice conditions and the slow fishing!! 🥺👎 I will therefore postpone my ice fishing trip for tomorrow,for hopefully some better ice conditions & even better perch fishing as well soon. Tight lines & hopefully 🤞🤞perch ON!! for you & me & likely many other angler’s as well 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂

Last edited:
I’m gonna run down in the morning, with my quad , and take a look but I doubt it doable on atv , the thaw we had wasn’t enough to hurt the ice , but all this snow sucks , puts too much weight on the ice pushing water up , and insulates all the slush keeping it from freezing there’s lots of ice out there but the surface is going to be really hard to travel on , last weekend the surface was great could travel all over with no problem

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try tomorrow. I am sure it will be a struggle but if I have to walk I will. It's not every year that I can get out on LPB 3 weekends in a row. I would rather struggle close to home than drive 3 hours for the same results.

Hope to see you guys out there.
Good luck 🤞 tomorrow @Boltzz and as of now,the weather forecast doesn’t look too bad,and being a weekend,there should be a lot of angler’s out on the ice enjoying the sport of ice fishing. Tight lines and Fish ON!! 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍😎

I went for a quad spin to the crack straight off st Willy , without any fishing gear just to check on ice surface , and there’s a lot of hidden slush out there , I didn’t get stuck but I stayed above 40 km an hour , my big will stay at shore and I think I’ll bring my clam , I prefer to fish away from crowds but I dont know if that’ll be an option tomorrow at least sticking to the trail you can see where the slush is

Thanks. The adventure is what makes it fun. I am sure I will have to dig or pull at some point tomorrow whether it is my bike or a fellow fisherman. The Rubicon is lite once I get my fat butt off of it, I can usually lift/push it out of most spots. If not I have the big lug going with me and he can push.

Slush or not I can't wait to get out there tomorrow. Hopefully the -21 tonight firms things up.

I took my big hut back out , Slush isn’t as bad as I first thought , it’s there but we were able to avoid the worst of it

I did find a decent sized slush hole crossing the crack , girlfriend got her kodiak pretty stuck , unhooked the sled pulled her out , then pulled the sled out with a strap 62A5CFBD-2E9D-4331-AAEE-C23EA604AD8B.jpeg

We made it out with no problem on Saturday morning. I did find one slush hole going back in but I made it through no problem.

Heading out again next weekend but I am going to try the afternoon bite. My boy works until 1pm so I am going to wait and get him out.

Back