Off Topic Ice Fishing Equipment Upgrade

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We’ve been tossing the idea around converting our gas auger over to battery operated drill. After doing some research on pro’s and con’s it was time to get at it. Rather than using a regular keyless chuck drill and watching your auger come loose and “good bye down the hole it goes”🤬. So I’m using my SDS hammer drill which locks on the adapter. After some searching I was able to find an SDS bit to convert it over for and an auger. Had to modify it for it was to small of a diameter to fit the auger. Being a retired millwright and having the tools and equipment I made one that would take the SDS bit and fit perfectly in the auger.
There could be a Rapala 51.7 cc Tundra T51 motor for sale if someone is looking at converting over a manual auger

The quad is set to go now with a it tracks on. 4FB2C903-BBA9-488C-8651-F85C96732558.jpeg409DFD7C-EA52-4788-9617-49476F0D0683.jpeg0CD4192E-0BFC-48F9-BD27-5877FFD1DBA0.jpeg6E56E583-F3AF-4E2B-99A5-793CF96E955D.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a pretty sweet drill setup. Your going to love it. We've been rocking the drill auger combo in various forms for about 5 years now. Started out with 6 inch augers for perching and now we are up to 8s and the gas auger doesn't get used anymore. My buddy and I decided to just keep it in case we get one of those winters with 30 plus inches of ice. I don't think it'll get used much though. The tracks are sweet too. I jumped the gun and put them on during the second week of gun season up north. They aren't as smooth a ride on dirt though, but the cats pajamas on snow!

Attachments

• Honda tracks.jpg
    Honda tracks.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 38
Eskimo pistol ice auger drill bid has s frisby on top that prevents the bid going through the hole it case it gets loose. ( It works, I accidentally tested it once). Sweet ATV setup!

That is a pretty sweet drill setup. Your going to love it. We've been rocking the drill auger combo in various forms for about 5 years now. Started out with 6 inch augers for perching and now we are up to 8s and the gas auger doesn't get used anymore. My buddy and I decided to just keep it in case we get one of those winters with 30 plus inches of ice. I don't think it'll get used much though. The tracks are sweet too. I jumped the gun and put them on during the second week of gun season up north. They aren't as smooth a ride on dirt though, but the cats pajamas on snow!
That’s a sweet ride @Porkpie and yes the ride isn’t the same as with the wheels on. But on the other hand it doesn’t have a problem in deep snow. We even installed hex head ice screws in the tracks when there isn’t enough snow on the ice for traction. This pictures doesn’t have the screws in it yet
0C6B863D-AFD8-4964-9C68-3FD69B242441.jpeg

Nice equipment Jim..ya your rigged for the north alright.

theres one upgrade i haven't done ...and thats an augar mount on my grizzley prefer front rack

I did or i think I used my gun grips for my manual augar broke down...

probably end up buying a new augar and go from there..

any ideas on a augar mount.

I want to continue with the least amout of cargo on board..I dont want any no extras

Nice equipment Jim..ya your rigged for the north alright.

theres one upgrade i haven't done ...and thats an augar mount on my grizzley prefer front rack

I did or i think I used my gun grips for my manual augar broke down...

probably end up buying a new augar and go from there..

any ideas on a augar mount.

I want to continue with the least amout of cargo on board..I dont want any no extras
We have had those Kolpin Rino Grips and have broke them. I blame it on the young driver that likes to give her $hit on the trails up north.
Today I bought a tow behind sled that will attach to the Otter sled. It will carry the auger and other things you need when you first get to your spot for fishing

thanks Jim ..ya thats the trouble with ice fishing is way to much equipment..
ya I wanna change up augars I have had my manual mora augar for years..

I am not convinced with wanting a lithium battery powered augar either..
what i think I would go for is if there is a lightweight gas power,
once I change up augars I figure out mounting it..

I see the augar stock is selling out already..will see when i get home

Ya I got Kolpin gun grips and gun boot ATV accessories, ok for a shotgun..
the only way I properly carry my scoped centrefire rifle is on my sling and on my shoulder

Last edited:
I believe someone named it the sex helmet many a years ago on a lake Simcoe trip 👊👍🍻
Were you two alone and drinking in an ice hut at the time @Extra Virgin ?

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks