East end Salmon Casting

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Headed east of Toronto last night on the hunt for Staging Chinnys on spinning gear. Found some water in the Mid 60's and a few fish jumping. Fished 10pm till 2:30am and put 6 in the boat, lost a couple and missed a few more strikes. All fish caught within a mile of the harbour in 20-55' of water on No. 2 Len Thompson glow spoons with a pink stripe. An incredibly slow retrieve seemed to be key. All but a couple hits were nearly under the boat just as the spoon started to rise at the end of the retrieve. Only managed pics of a couple. The second and 3rd pics are of a fat hen was 42" with a massive girth im guessing at over 24" putting her in the low-mid 30's. A real blimp! 😄
IMG_20210903_151123.jpgIMG_20210903_015852.jpgIMG_20210903_030638.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
I want to do some casting for salmon in the near future.. I bought up some casting spoons

Would you mind telling me what kind of rod and reel I should have for this?

Thanks 😊

I want to do some casting for salmon in the near future.. I bought up some casting spoons

Thnks 😊
10 1/2 Shimano Convergence, Diawa 1300 loaded with 20 pound Power Pro works well for me.

Thanks 😊
I like a little shorter rod in the boat. On the pier a 10'6" is nice for a little extra distance but in the boat I find an 8-9' is more manageable. A favourite off the shelf rod is the 13 fishing fate steel 8-17lb. The Okuma SST's are nice for the price too. If I'm bringing someone newer that isn't used to a longer rod the 7'2" Shimano Worm & Jig rods in any series (compre are a good value) work really well. Any decent spinning reel that'll hold a couple hundred yards of braid works. 10lb fireline crystal is my choice. Tied direct to a snap swivel at night. During the day I'll run a 6' lead of 25lb mono.

Josh

That is one mother of a fish Josh! Can you explain what you are in the process of doing here? I am at a total loss ...sorry if my ignorance is showing (curious newbie). TIA
I'm curing eggs for Steelhead season. The skeined eggs are separated and spread out onto paper towel to soak up the excess moisture then covered liberally with Borax and mixed around on the table as they dry. The goal is to toughen up, the outer shell just slightly and remove all excess moisture which causes issues when freezing. Once dried to my liking the Borax is sifted off and the eggs are packed into Ziploc snack bags and frozen for future use.

Josh

Thank you for your response Josh. Quite a process and obviously quite the result. That must have been an epic battle and they say "nothing good ever happens after midnight".

Thanks 😊
There is a decent outfit in the Classifieds by Fisherboy that you can use Derkd9

Back