Caught that just in time (off topic)

spincast

Noticed the water didn't have its normal pressure on the kicker on the last outing - and the motor is way younger than me, so I figured it wasn't age. Note to self, stop saying you will do it when you do the spring service, and actually do it. The broken pieces were too big to go up the channel, and I matched them up to make sure, took the compressor and blew out the line, just in case. Interestingly enough, the one from the main which was changed at the same time was perfect.

Now that we are back in business - any news from Burwell today? Planning on heading out tomorrow and hoping to at least get an idea as to where to start

Attachments

• 20210703_095534 (1).jpg
    20210703_095534 (1).jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 56
Noticed the water didn't have its normal pressure on the kicker on the last outing - and the motor is way younger than me, so I figured it wasn't age. Note to self, stop saying you will do it when you do the spring service, and actually do it. The broken pieces were too big to go up the channel, and I matched them up to make sure, took the compressor and blew out the line, just in case. Interestingly enough, the one from the main which was changed at the same time was perfect.

Now that we are back in business - any news from Burwell today? Planning on heading out tomorrow and hoping to at least get an idea as to where to start
I just had my impeller’s done on both of my outboard motor’s. Not that they needed to be changed,(water pressure was fine),but they haven’t been changed for around 5 year’s now,(that apparently is their life expectancy) and of course on how much you use your motor’s for wear & tear,and just a piece of mind for me. Tight lines to you tomorrow @spincast & others off Port Burwell. 🚤🎣🐟👍😎

Last edited:
I just had my impeller’s done on my both of my outboard motor’s. Not that they needed to be changed,(water pressure was fine),but they haven’t been changed for around 5 year’s now,(that apparently is their life expectancy) and of course on how much you use your motor’s for wear & tear,and just a piece of mind for me. Tight lines to you tomorrow @spincast & others off Port Burwell. 🚤🎣🐟👍😎
Thanks @Red Hering - that one is only 3 years old. I had the same rule of thumb at the 5 year mark - I had a look this spring and the OEM recommendation is annually. For the 30 minutes it takes to do the job and the price of the part, I'll be doing it annually from now on. That could have seriously pooched a good day - because you know it would wait for a day when the fishing are feeding before that it overheated...

Thanks @Red Hering - that one is only 3 years old. I had the same rule of thumb at the 5 year mark - I had a look this spring and the OEM recommendation is annually. For the 30 minutes it takes to do the job and the price of the part, I'll be doing it annually from now on. That could have seriously pooched a good day - because you know it would wait for a day when the fishing are feeding before that it overheated...
Your welcome @spincast 👊👊👍🙂 Photo of my old impeller from my 90 - 4 stroke Mercury outboard FC38D737-0839-4DBA-8703-ED3F3C3F0624.jpeg motor,^^^ and this old impeller from my 9.9 - 4 - stroke Mercury Pro- kicker outboard motor,which both were just recently replaced. 3A870A6B-607B-4D7B-A334-1B68A2443983.jpeg They both weren’t really that bad of shape,but as I like to call it,”preventive maintenance!!” Why wait for the impeller’s fins to bend even more and break,& let all of those broken pieces spread out all over the inside of the outboard motor’s!! 😱😉👍🙂

@Red Hering considering the damage that part can cause when it fails and the risk involved if that happens
And keeping in mind how cheap and relatively easy it is to change that’s definitely a part you wanna replace well before it fails.
I’ve always been told every other season is a good time window

@Red Hering considering the damage that part can cause when it fails and the risk involved if that happens
And keeping in mind how cheap and relatively easy it is to change that’s definitely a part you wanna replace well before it fails.
I’ve always been told every other season is a good time window
Exactly my friend @Derkd9 👊👊😉👍🙂

Why can’t they make them out of metal?

They bend when they spin.
That’s one of the many reasons you can’t run with out water it will heat up and melt doesn’t take long.
So when you go to use it later you may have damaged it and could get stuck out in the lake

any news from Burwell today? Planning on heading out tomorrow and hoping to at least get an idea as to where to start
Was running the Water Wolf camera today at 25' and majority of fish was coming down from above to the lures so I suggest running a line or 2 fairly shallow .

Cheaper to replace a water pump then a head gasket or worse depending on your motor. I noticed my water pumps need replacing more often now as they aren't submerged in water all year, I'm guessing the drying out process hastens rot; maybe why your kicker's pump was gone ? Old Chuck Post warned me to never ever run a motor dry as it only takes a minute to get hot enough to melt the impeller.

Back