burbot

bryan dickson

I was out on sunday with neighbour and his 7 year old boy. The young lad bested 4 adults in the boat by catching 2 very large burbots. One 5-6 lbs. the other 7-8 lbs. huge beasts. I took the first fish off the hook and it happened to drop, mouth open on my son's knee. Perfect puncture wound of the fish's upper mouth. Very freaky accident. My question is are these beasties good eating? The front half of the fish looks it is from the trout or salmon family ??

Fish consumption guide says you can
Never tried it myself

I was out on sunday with neighbour and his 7 year old boy. The young lad bested 4 adults in the boat by catching 2 very large burbots. One 5-6 lbs. the other 7-8 lbs. huge beasts. I took the first fish off the hook and it happened to drop, mouth open on my son's knee. Perfect puncture wound of the fish's upper mouth. Very freaky accident. My question is are these beasties good eating? The front half of the fish looks it is from the trout or salmon family ??
We used to catch'em in the NWT. Up there they called them "ling cod" as well. Lots of people did eat them there, but I wasn't one of'em. Wasn't sure how to clean it so I just threw them back when I caught one.

I have pictures but too uneducated to transfer them. We were in 18ft at Bluffs. They more then likely bowfins and man they had a lot of sharp teeth. I guess they were not good eating but man I assume they are top end predators. Also have a very large tailfin

We have caught several Bowfin at Bluff Bar this year, And yes they do have teeth. Caught many Burbot ice fishing lake Nipissing. No teeth and good eating.

Definitely Bowfin if you caught them at the bar. Burbot are a cold water fish and wouldn't be found in less than 80-100' of water on Erie right now.....Bowfin definitely would not be considered edible by most unlike Burbot.

Josh

I have pictures but too uneducated to transfer them. We were in 18ft at Bluffs. They more then likely bowfins and man they had a lot of sharp teeth. I guess they were not good eating but man I assume they are top end predators. Also have a very large tailfin
Did it look like this? If so, it's a Bowfin. (also been told it's been called a dog fish) Gives a pretty good fight, but damn when yer that ugly, ya gots to. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Me and the Bowfin I caught PM July 12 2019 (3).jpg
    Me and the Bowfin I caught PM July 12 2019 (3).jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Hooked on Ice with the Bowfin he caught AM of July 12 2019 (1).jpg
    Hooked on Ice with the Bowfin he caught AM of July 12 2019 (1).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Darren and the Bowfin I caught PM July 12 2019 (1).jpg
    Darren and the Bowfin I caught PM July 12 2019 (1).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 87
They are delicious. I harvest the meat from the loins and boil them in salted water and it tastes just like lobster.

Did it look like this? If so, it's a Bowfin. (also been told it's been called a dog fish) Gives a pretty good fight, but damn when yer that ugly, ya gots to. :ROFLMAO:
Thank-you Trevor. That is the beastie. Ugly as sin and twice as vicious. The lad that caught them is one proud boy. I am glad I provided the memory for him. He is already on me as to when we can go fishing again. Mind you he would not go near either fish he caught. Guess he did not like the teeth marks on my son's knee

Brrrrrrrrr. Ugly nasty pigs. When the Ontario musky fishery was on a big down-turn (bowfin eat everything), I was “stopped” my the mnr for releasing in a 3 footer. In the late 80’s, it was a fine to not kill them. Now there are tournaments for these things on Georgian bay.

throw them on land and let Ontario’s seemingly protected bird feast (cormorants)

Have caught so many dog fish this year in the inner bay . View attachment 44184
Someone on the pier in Pt Bruce told me their fins turn that color when they spawn? Anyone know if this is true because the one I caught a couple years ago didn't have the glow in the dark green fins and until this year I'd never seen them when their fins were that color.

Someone on the pier in Pt Bruce told me their fins turn that color when they spawn? Anyone know if this is true because the one I caught a couple years ago didn't have the glow in the dark green fins and until this year I'd never seen them when their fins were that color.
Yes spawning colors.

they are a NATIVE species, unlike gobies... do no throw them on land for birds to eat like flyingviking suggested. If you catch one and aren't harvesting it for consumption or a mount just release it for another kid in the future to have the same awesome experience with catching one.

Brrrrrrrrr. Ugly nasty pigs. When the Ontario musky fishery was on a big down-turn (bowfin eat everything), I was “stopped” my the mnr for releasing in a 3 footer. In the late 80’s, it was a fine to not kill them. Now there are tournaments for these things on Georgian bay.

throw them on land and let Ontario’s seemingly protected bird feast (cormorants)

You should be ashamed of yourself for telling people to waste all of these native fish they catch. Even sillier to suggest bowfin eat everything and are harming the musky population.

Also, is there not a season now to shoot the “protected” cormorants?

Can you share any links for us to read about Ontario mandating a catch and kill policy in the 80’s. Never heard of any jurisdiction calling for the mandatory killing of native species?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks