Lake Simcoe Ice?

I'm going to sit in front of my fireplace and read a few books.

If the lakes still aren't frozen when I'm done, I'll buy another book, or start preparing my gear for Erie etc.
@hvyhaul , hopefully you'll also check in here periodically to keep the webmaster honest. Oh, and you can hit the site below to see how the Province is doing with getting shots into people's arms. I have two 95-year old in-laws in a retirement/long-term care facility that, so far, has been spared. That vaccine can't come fast enouugh.

My shelter logic thats keeping my boat dry and out of the elements, had some icy wet snow on it this morning.
I swatted it off with a broom when I got home from the greenhouse... true story

@stomp
last I heard that phase 3 will hopefully be around Aug 2021
So hopefully your in- laws will be able to get it well before then

@hvyhaul , hopefully you'll also check in here periodically to keep the webmaster honest. Oh, and you can hit the site below to see how the Province is doing with getting shots into people's arms. I have two 95-year old in-laws in a retirement/long-term care facility that, so far, has been spared. That vaccine can't come fast enouugh.

Who said I was going anywhere @stomp? I intend to be the thorn I am capable of being around here. LOL

Funny you should speak about that exact vaccine situation. I wondered how your loved ones were fairing.

Our family got word that Jan 7th the vaccine is going to be distributed at The Wife's mother's long term care home.

Also the two family members who are getting weekly Covid tests to visit their mother will also get the vaccine shot.

There is hope, and it is getting closer to home.

Trust your loved one's get it very soon as well.

I'm going to sit in front of my fireplace and read a few books.

If the lakes still aren't frozen when I'm done, I'll buy another book, or start preparing my gear for Erie etc.
I'm not even gonna do that. I'll get my license when the place I go to do that is open again, but I won't be restocking my tackle box until closer to when I usually end my hibernation.

I went ice fishin once (when I was a kid) and the only thing I caught was surprisingly, ICE, and a cold, a really miserable, nasty cold. I was sick for a long time, then we moved to the territories. You couldn't pay me to go sit on the ice up there.

I had a pleasant brief phone call yesterday with a fellow 68er, and we both seemed to have a similar view of the desire to sit on thin ice. :)

Don't get me wrong, I have gone ice fishing many many times over the years and I have always had a blast with the attending accomplices, especially the last time, two years ago.

BUT! I have always been told, every single time..........

Man, you should have been here last weekend, everyone was slaughtering them.

Ya OK. :rolleyes:

I'll read a few books this year.

Thanks Stomp for info. I hope the vaccine gets to your in laws ASAP. I also have some relatives in the same position. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family my friend.

Was down by the lake yesterday (Innisfil) it would have been a nice day to be out in the boat ,lake like glass and quite mild......

@stomp when you say that vaccine cant come fast enough. I dont think you've met my in-laws.

Also @hvyhaul webmaster hasn't had much to do lately so I was gonna T-off on @Derkd9 for no reason but just to keep the webmaster honest. If your paying him huge money then I'll keep him busy.

I mean its January and I'm in lockdown, so until my boat gets in the water, I could use some drama in my life or look @Trevor M last year pictures to pass the time.

2021 Record Walleyes calling it!!!!

I mean its January and I'm in lockdown, so until my boat gets in the water, I could use some drama in my life or look @Trevor M last year pictures to pass the time.

Hibernation. I'm telling ya if you don't do this ice fishing thing, (who wants to catch ice when you can just make it at home right, and it NEVER gives a good fight anyways,) that's the way to go :ROFLMAO:, especially during a lockdown.

Saw a picture on facebook today of someone sitting on the beach in Pt Bruce with a line in the water today. It didn't say if that person caught anything tho:unsure:

Hibernation. I'm telling ya if you don't do this ice fishing thing, (who wants to catch ice when you can just make it at home right, and it NEVER gives a good fight anyways,) that's the way to go :ROFLMAO:, especially during a lockdown.

Saw a picture on facebook today of someone sitting on the beach in Pt Bruce with a line in the water today. It didn't say if that person caught anything tho:unsure:
😳 WOW!! 😳 @Trevor M it was a nice day out yesterday for that individual on the beach for some fishing,but it could be still too early there in Pt. Bruce for the perch bite yet for this time of the year.🤔 🎣🐟👍🙂

Updated winter forecast is pretty favourable for some decent ice early February 👍

Got a text mid afternoon.

The Mother in Law got her first vaccine shot this morning. Not sure which manufacturer.

I expect I'll find out more tonight when The Wife gets home from work.

Hopefully the rest of you find your loved ones are on a short list.

ICE Fishing Report 1.4.2021​

On the south end LOTW… A great week of walleye and sauger action on Lake of the Woods. Most ice fishing is taking place between 23 – 28′. Jigging one line and using a bobber with a live minnow on the other is the goto strategy. Popular colors this week… gold, glow, glow red, pink and orange. A lot of small fish to sort through to find keepers. Some big walleyes from 28 – 32 inches caught this week. A mix of walleyes and saugers with jumbo perch, big pike, tullibees and eelpout being caught as a rule.
On the Rainy River… Ice fishing on the river continues to be good overall. Mornings and evenings are producing the best walleye action. Ice conditions vary greatly on the river as there is moving water. Work through a resort for safety.
Up at the NW Angle… 1. NW Angle Guest Ice Road (open soon). 2. Snowmobile trails across the lake are open. 3. Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier). 4. Lake Country Air.
Angle ice fishing has been excellent with good numbers of walleyes being caught. Walleyes, saugers and jumbo perch with an occasional pike, eelpout, or tullibee is what anglers will see. Most fishing taking place in 20-26′. Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.

Plenty of Oppurtunity in the North
I fished Lake of the woods and hunted aluneau penisula..its worth the 18 hour drive ..up there with my quad..I wouldn't bother with jumbo perch..nestor falls side would be a great start.. that lake is multi species...not hard to figure out where to fish south of penisula..

Last edited:
Love to go up North ice fishing
I don’t have enough time off work during the winter to make a trip up there.
also this year I feel like you wouldn’t be treated the same if you travelled up there right now being from the south...
maybe I’m wrong, just an assumption
They probably don’t want us bringing Covid up there, and especially since their lockdown is done I think while we remain under lockdown until the end of the month
Likely longer...
at least we don’t have a curfew... YET!!!

@hvyhaul I rarely leave my house after 8pm unless I’m heading to work, which likely wouldn’t still be permitted. Just don’t like the idea of it..
like to see the data Quebec is using to determine that a curfew would help the covid numbers.
+ cases all contracted between 8pm and 5am in public spaces?
What’s even open?
maybe they have a problem with house parties at night?
if that’s the case curfew won’t stop them for congregating in each others homes.

Edit: don’t leave my house after 8pm in the winter

in the summer I’d like to be on the water until about 830pmish sunset!!

I have enjoyed lots of winter sports..the cold never bothered us..and the winters were winters with snow & ice and minus temps..

I played hockey in a league growing up ..plenty of snowmobiling, tons of ice fishin,..well worth the efforts..enjoyed the florida trips to the family home... plenty of saltwater fishin out on the gulf of mexico the carribean and got my first taste of pacific billfishing & mahi mahi off mexico 29 years ago...I been going back almost every chance I get..hey thats life had to come back off punta cana last march 11..flew home to toronto..

I am heading north 14+ hours for my annual huntin & fishin trip..16 days I got my cabin again..its a great spot ..I have made and have good friends up there..I am more then welcome and the only 1 at the camp besides the owner Gale and her husband..she charges me $250 a week nicely decorated newer cabin ..fully loaded with wifi I take my laptap have a colour TV with satellite I have heat full kitchen hot water shower ..and the camp has lots of cleared land with everything included I use the 14 foot boat.the chainsaw..fish house with water ..I take up my supplies and my cabin can sleep 6 but hey its all mine..the only noise is the loons occasionally call like crazy at midnight on my private little lake with pike and theres big ones too...ya it doesnt get dark till 11 pm..huntin weather is low of minus to high 9 and under ..perfect..

for you guys that dont go up north and catch pickeral the season opens up in ontario..there fun to catch on light spinning tackle and they are good eating..even the small lake trout & brook trout are good eatin spring fed lakes..its coldwater best tasting..ice is not out till after the first week of May and sometimes more...great hunting weather...no bugs till the end of May...or just starting but not biting
and for taking equipment I take my quad and a small suzuki outboard ..ya its a baby 2.5 hp 4 stroke it works good..only 30 lbs and easy on fuel good troller and i take a portable eagle fish finder..

you guys that go know..do it while you can..tell your employer you need time off...workaholic disease is a health concern.. especially now..ask your doctor..

Last edited:
Better to put some ice cubes in the bathtub get the stool out close your eyes and dream. Maybe the wife will come in and make your dreams come true!

Back