Akers question

taper

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
For all you regulars to the area, can you tell me what the row of buoys are just to the left of the launch as you are heading out to the bay from Aker's?

For all you regulars to the area, can you tell me what the row of buoys are just to the left of the launch as you are heading out to the bay from Aker's?
@taper myself and @Extra Virgin noticed the row of buoys as well on the left as we left Shady Aker’s in his boat last saturday. We both didn’t know ourselves what the row of buoys were for, & I thought maybe pike nets? I have heard over the year’s that there is pike netting still going on in the inner bay of long point,but I am not 100% sure about that.Maybe a regular/local may know this question,because we were both curious as well & thanks in advance. 👍😎

Last edited:
pike nets
Is that a commercial fishery? I did not realize any one netted pike.

Yes this is a commercial fishery for perch, pike and just about everything else (and commenting on this always gets me into trouble). In the last couple of days, if you look at the number of boats, anglers and dollars drawn to Long Point Bay at the mere sniff at a chance for some minnow-dunking perch action, I conclude that those perch are more valuable for the sport fishery than the commercial fishery.

Our own Ontario Government produced a report with some data about the Long Point Inner Bay commercial fishery in 2016. Maybe, I missed where it is published on our own gov sites, but I did find a copy on the Michigan DNR site. I think the information and report is public, so I'm sharing an excerpt here. The full report is attached.

1604931743593.png
My observations:
  • Mudpuppy?
  • Perch, Pike, and Crappie are much move valuable as sports fish than the values listed here
  • Why can't I find this information produced by our government on our own Ontario gov sites? Do we need to pay a higher fishing licence fee to get this published on an Ontario MNR server?

Attachments

• 2015OMNRFLakeErieStatusMajorStocks_522339_7.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
A lot of those fish are sold live for fish out ponds... That was 2015 prices... I'm sure they are worth alot more now... The inner bay small scale commercial fishery is small potatoes compared to the lake guys...

They are definitely nets and all along almost every launch and marina.. some sticking hundreds and hundreds of feet into the bay with little of no markings. Almost clipped on in front of rowan a couple weeks ago. Be very careful as they are NOT maked well in some areas. The whole shoreline was littered with them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks