Fishing Report shore repor

paddle maker

Got out Wednesday, took the canoe to st. Williams, but the bay was kind of rough. So I decided to head to the reforestry station looking for trout. I didn't get any trout, but I came home with 25 8 inch golden eyes. They tasted fine deep fried in odouls batter. Not as good as perch,but better than bass. I also got a few bluegill and a green bass, I tossed back. Nice morning, in an all but forgotten fishing hole.

Sorry, I have no idea what a goldeneye is. Looked it up on Google.....still no clue.

HI DUCK SOUP IF YOU TYPE IN GOLDENEYE FISH YOU WILL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE THEN THEY KIND OF LOOK LIKE A SMALL WHITE FISH

Don't worry duck soup it took me two days and a lot of help from friends on face book, and texting pictures around to identify it. They are a type of shiner, that gets big enough to eat. They look like white fish, but are the colour of carp. They scale really easy, but fight hard even jump like trout. Fun to catch. Considered a bait fish. If we didn't get a positive I.D. Some of us where going to start calling them Charlotteville Herring.

OK, I've caught Mooneyes although that was in Saskatchewan and similar fish that I never identified in the Ottawa River.

Mooneye are also common throughout southern Ontario, parts of northeastern and northwestern Ontario. That is probably what @paddle maker caught, not Goldeye because according to the MNR they are very rare in southern Ontario. As @Josh Roelofen stated Arnie there are mooneye in the Ottawa River but the unidentified fish you caught that was similar is most likely the Goldeye. The range of the Goldeye is almost exclusive to parts of northeastern Ontario. Hopefully these photos will clarify the difference between these two very similar fish

GOLDEYE: large, bright golden iris of eye, forward scales with golden luster and darker back.
upload_2017-5-13_9-44-50.png

MOONEYE: iris of eye large and golden, but not as bright as the goldeye with very silvery scales and lighter back.
upload_2017-5-13_9-56-21.png

Those are Golden Shiner. Bait fish, closely related to the common carp.....Never heard of anyone eating them!

Josh

Yep definitely Golden Shiners.
They're not from the carp family but is a cyprinid fish native to eastern North America and is the sole member of its genus.
If I ate them by mistake thinking they were Goldeneye I wouldn't feel as bad as actually eating a real carp. LOL!! :smuggrin:

upload_2017-5-14_9-27-53.png

Plenty of mooneye in the Grand and a ton of fun with the fly rod when they're surfacing. Brantford has a healthy population...

I didn't know what the fish in the picture were at first, but I definitely knew they weren't a mooneye or goldeye. Regardless, this is a perfect example of the whole mind over matter type thing. A case of mistaken identity resulted in someone having a good meal when the OP likely would have tossed them back if he had known what they were and are a close relative of carp.

That said, small carp (under 12") are in fact pretty good when caught in cold water, bled, and iced ASAP.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks