September heat wave adding to Lake Erie algae bloom's rapid spread

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Editor: replaced what looks to be a cut and paste from a news article with this link. Please see http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/storie...severe-harmful-algal-bloom-for-lake-erie.html .

Please respect copyright laws when posting. Thanks.

Satellite Image Sept. 4, 2015
modis.jpg

lake-eries-water-quality-has-been-in-a-state-of-decline.jpg

Last edited:
WOW ,WE got to find some thing to eat the green stuff or a way to collect it with floating matts or something ,,I am sure thy are working on ways to stop this ,hope thy get a handle on it very soon ,,,not looking good ,,Dutch

The ministry of the environment should be on this issue asap.Locate the cause and come up with a way to deal with the issue.If its the spreading of manure come up with enviormental solutions and practices that need to be abided by.

The ministry of the environment should be on this issue asap.Locate the cause and come up with a way to deal with the issue.If its the spreading of manure come up with enviormental solutions and practices that need to be abided by.
The cause I believe is man made pellet form fertilizer they use in the usa if ends up in the lake it just does what it was made to do increase plant growth but in water it feeds th algae and a bloom starts I may be wrong but I think that's the issue here the fix is get back to farming the way we used to:):)

The causes of this nasty bacteria laden algae are heat, phosphorus and nitrogen. Runoff from agriculture and storm sewers are the main sources of nutrients required for its spread. Unfortunately there's no easy fix to the problem....

Josh

Nothing new around here, just much more prevalent since the lake was made crystal clear by Mussels allowing light to penetrate deep, that and add warm water and you have the perfect formula for Bloom Algae. Lake Winnipeg has the same thing going on, yesterday there was an older Nature of Things showing commercial fisherman saying the fishing has never been better and scientists saying it's because of the algae. However if not kept in check the fishery will eventually collapse.

Unfortunately the massive amounts of algae die and the decomposition process uses large amounts of oxygen;) not a good thing for fish...

Josh

you are some what correct that it is due to run off but the other main reason for the bloom is the marsh areas. The marsh's naturally produce Phosphorus. Look at the picture. That end of the lake is marsh and look at where the algae is coming out of. If farmers were to blame the entire LP area would be so thick you could walk on it with the heavy farm population there. I got this info from a lab in London.

Blue gill love it. We used to have it in our farm pond. I tossed in a few blue gill 20 years ago. Every on said they would die. There are thousands in that pond now, and no algae.

you are some what correct that it is due to run off but the other main reason for the bloom is the marsh areas. The marsh's naturally produce Phosphorus. Look at the picture. That end of the lake is marsh and look at where the algae is coming out of. If farmers were to blame the entire LP area would be so thick you could walk on it with the heavy farm population there. I got this info from a lab in London.

Marshlands actually absorb most of the phosphorus and nutrients that enter them via field run-off. There would be even higher levels of phosphorus in the lakes if not for marshlands. I live in Elgin county which is famous for it's vast array of intertwining ravines running through farmland leading straight to Lake Erie. These alone dump tremendous amounts of rainwater run-off from all the agriculture fields directly into Erie not to mention all the tributaries entering the lake. Most fields are tiled today so most of the rainwater that flushes down through the phosphorus, nutrient laden field soil is also drained into these ravines as well as ditches that eventually ends up in the lake. There are other contributing factors but run-off especially during heavy rains is the number one cause. That's fact and there are no easy answers.

http://www.water.ncsu.edu/watershedss/info/wetlands/function.html

In 1990, Canada exported 200,000 tons of pork
In 2014, Canada exported 1,151,000 tons of pork
The majority of these exports go to the wealthier country's that can afford it. Pretty sure its not reaching the starving poor?
The numbered companies that own the pig factories, reap the profits, southern Ontario gets the millions of gallons of pig shit spread around our water ways, good deal???
But don't complain or we will starve?

I am sick of people complaining about farmers on this site. Either stop complaining or starve.

That used to be the message that was drilled into us on the east coast when scientists and some politicians were warning about the impending collapse of the cod fishery. Don't blame the fisherman was the battle cry. Well the lobby groups that pushed that one were the large fleets that had the most to lose by imposing more controls. And we saw where that got us.

Nobody wants to see "farmers" go out of business but they have to be involved in the solution. Doing nothing and hoping it goes away is not a solution.

I have a solution. The best farm land in Ontario is under Toronto, why not move anything that can be d indoors north of Sudburry? Restore more land for Farming. They can take their Windfarms with them.

Paddle Maker, aprox. 80+ acre's of wheat stubble here has have been coated in the last 5 day's steady, by a local hog factory spraying their grey slop. Honey wagon's running so regular road is a washboard mess now? With this weeks weather we've had two big down pour's, and this AM better than a inch, guess those lakes of liquid shit just disappeared by the manure lepricons, and didn't drain threw the tiles into the flooded drainage ditch, too everybody's water.

Corn and soy beans require a lot of fertilizer to max the per/acre yield. With the wet spring this year, a lot went right into the waterways.
Talked to a biologist this week...he also farms. Just grows hay now because of the corn/bean issue. He says the zebra mussel population has also stabilized, and isn't filtering the water like it was 10 years ago. Lake Erie is actually reverting back to pre-zebra mussel days...which can be a positive for the pickeral populations......but, we have too much phosphates in the system, so it has to be reduced.
Remember the 60's????

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks