new to Erie walleye

Glasgow is the way to go imo, haven't left 50' - 55' all season and have buddies getting them shallower yet with the same results. Never lose sight of land and always fishing in 10 minutes max after leaving the launch!!!
I live in Hamilton and have fished Burwell several times. Last time I was out we went out to 65' fow. Took us 40 minutes to come in, by my calculations 22mph at 40 minutes we were 15-16 miles out. We did catch 8 walleye so it made it worth it, but it was hard fishing.
Heading out tomorrow, thinking of trying Glasgow. Is there a preferred launch? I have a 20' pontoon and prefer a decent launch. Thanks in advance.

Well, got out on Erie today out of port Maitland. Fairly calm, no issues once I got my sea legs. As for the fishing... I mainly wanted to learn the gear so wasn't trying too hard to find and catch anything. It got easier once I put the dipsy on the right way! Have to 1) figure out the drag setting when trolling, 2) how to recognize a fish hit and dipsy release, 3) get a drift sock to slow down, 4) find storage solution for worm harnesses, leaders, etc. 5) maybe get new rod holders. The stock legend ones feel flimsy, and they are mounted between bimini supports - very awkward so I left the top down.

All said, I'm happy with how it went today. More time on the water and searching forums like this for tips and I'll be in better shape. 20220827_105300.jpg

Great you got out @Buckhorn
Each trip gets easier, my ever first trip I hang up dipsy and leadcore on bottom, than tangled every single line 🙄 finally caught a sheephead lol
And I was happy about it 😬
When you say put dipsy on rigth way ? The ends or side of boat ?
Drag settings I like to hear the clicker once in a while
Dipsy don't always release even with big fish
Watch the line if it's moving towards behind the boat you got a fish on if it's released the bend in the rod is less than when it's not released you will get a feel for it 👍
Be aware with drift socks that is not longer than your boat so doesn’t have a chance to get in your prop , I tie it at the front when using one
I use Canon tubes ratcheting and swivels on track system
Lots of guys use pool noodles to wrap the harnesses on it or leaders
myself I use plastic containers designed for leaders " from sail, and I don't use harnesses
I keep my lake Ontario flies in a bass pouch designed for soft plastics it's like a photo album with a bunch of zipplock bags inside on a binder style rings that I think would work for harnesses
Good luck on your fishing trips
And I only caught 1 walleye on my second trip out and I thought it was fantastic 😃
20220819_155958.jpg

Well, got out on Erie today out of port Maitland. Fairly calm, no issues once I got my sea legs. As for the fishing... I mainly wanted to learn the gear so wasn't trying too hard to find and catch anything. It got easier once I put the dipsy on the right way! Have to 1) figure out the drag setting when trolling, 2) how to recognize a fish hit and dipsy release, 3) get a drift sock to slow down, 4) find storage solution for worm harnesses, leaders, etc. 5) maybe get new rod holders. The stock legend ones feel flimsy, and they are mounted between bimini supports - very awkward so I left the top down.

All said, I'm happy with how it went today. More time on the water and searching forums like this for tips and I'll be in better shape. View attachment 64613
1 I turn my clicker on and set the drag as light as possible so that you might hear the clicks from the reel when a fish hits if it doesn't trip the dipsy
2 in addition to the drag, set the release screw on the dipsy as light as possible. This can be frustrating as a quarter turn goes from not releasing ever to releasing constantly. Also watch your rod tips for hits. Also sometimes you will drag fish for 4 hours in spite of doing your best!
3 a kicker isn't just to save fuel. It is also valuable insurance if you have motor trouble. Just for consideration
4 I stick toothpicks in pool noodles and wrap them around
5 down east salty rod holders are great for dipseys

1 I turn my clicker on and set the drag as light as possible so that you might hear the clicks from the reel when a fish hits if it doesn't trip the dipsy
2 in addition to the drag, set the release screw on the dipsy as light as possible. This can be frustrating as a quarter turn goes from not releasing ever to releasing constantly. Also watch your rod tips for hits. Also sometimes you will drag fish for 4 hours in spite of doing your best!
3 a kicker isn't just to save fuel. It is also valuable insurance if you have motor trouble. Just for consideration
4 I stick toothpicks in pool noodles and wrap them around
5 down east salty rod holders are great for dipseys
I played with the drag as you described, but didn't adjust the release screw - thought that was just active when in free spool. I thought it was the wrong approach when I had to retighen when pulling the line back to correct for depth. I'll try both adjustments next time. Thx. I think once I get speed down to 2mph or below it might 'feel' more natural.

Thx. Great advise

Tools of the trade always in reach, gripper, pliers, kitchen snips, sharp knife, Philips screwdriver and if a rigger is in the water, cable cutter.

The fishing tackle and net are just the fishing stuff to catch a fish, the items above make what you do with it once in the boat so quick and easy.

For anyone who steelhead fishes the offseason,, old drennan leader spools are the absolute best thing I have found to have pre-tied dipsy leaders ready to go each trip and spares on hand. Its to the point I have people on my boat try to swipe them there so handy!! 1000x better than pool noodles or even other store bought solutions

I played with the drag as you described, but didn't adjust the release screw - thought that was just active when in free spool. I thought it was the wrong approach when I had to retighen when pulling the line back to correct for depth. I'll try both adjustments next time. Thx. I think once I get speed down to 2mph or below it might 'feel' more natural.

Thx. Great advise
I don't understand your reference to free spool. The release screw I'm referring to is the little screw on the top of the dipsy diver where the release bar clips in.

That reminds me of another tip which is to not use freespool when setting your dipseys. Free spool can let the dipsey drop down too quickly and get twisted or tangled. I just back the drag off and let the drag slowly lower it to the desired depth.

I don't understand your reference to free spool. The release screw I'm referring to is the little screw on the top of the dipsy diver where the release bar clips in.

That reminds me of another tip which is to not use freespool when setting your dipseys. Free spool can let the dipsey drop down too quickly and get twisted or tangled. I just back the drag off and let the drag slowly lower it to the desired depth.
Ah, yes. I was told about the dipsy release screw when I bought the gear. Thx. I did get one small nest with freespooling. Had flashbacks to learning bait casting.

8ft leads, - We wrap them around a paint roller - then place the roller into a paint roller saver. Works well. Protects lines from knicks.
Dipsey release tuning -- if I won't release soft enough - push the lever beyond the groves it sits in. This stretches the plastic open and softens the release. If that doesn't work - I a bit a sandpaper to tune up the new ones or those who paint them black to clear the overspray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple dipsy set.

Face the Stern of the boat, hold the dipsy up with the weight bottom center and away from you.

Whichever way the spine points towards is the side of the boat the dipsy will track. 🌻

Right = starboard
Left = port
I’ve admittedly put them out the wrong way before… buuuut won’t make that mistake again!
Also if unsure just pay attention when you put it in the water

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks