Off Topic One too many trips to the bird feeder...

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
Sparrows were hitting our backyard feeder very hard and I couldn't understand why they are always staying in the cover of our hedge...
falcon.jpg
Now I know! Looks to me like a Cooper's Hawk holding a snack.

So, any bird watchers out there?
  • Cooper's Hawk (immature)
  • Sharp-Shinned Hawk (immature)
  • something else?

Sparrows were hitting our backyard feeder very hard and I couldn't understand why they are always staying in the cover of our hedge...
View attachment 53777
Now I know! Looks to me like a Cooper's Hawk holding a snack.
@stomp please don’t feed the sparrow’s again,(like I do- LoL 😂), for I don’t like to see a photo/image of a Coopers Hawk with a dead sparrow in its talon’s!! 😱🥺 🐦 lol 😂 🤣 😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 6ADDEFD6-618D-417A-8E00-87DAF4EF7FBA.jpeg
    6ADDEFD6-618D-417A-8E00-87DAF4EF7FBA.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 27
@stomp please don’t feed the sparrow’s again,(like I do- LoL 😂), for I don’t like to see a photo/image of a Coopers Hawk with a dead sparrow in its talon’s!! 😱🥺 🐦 lol 😂 🤣 😉👍🙂
@stomp I am not a bird watcher,(yes- fish 🐟 watcher -😉), by any means,but perhaps a juvenile Coopers Hawk would be my guess by the photo,and good luck in identifying the hawk. 😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 9488C045-588D-459F-8B7E-85DBFC287DC8.jpeg
    9488C045-588D-459F-8B7E-85DBFC287DC8.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Maybe juvenile Sharptail? Who knew hawks had eyebrows??
Animal House Eyebrows GIF

It’s a Sharp-shinned Hawk.
Coopers Hawks have a crest on the back of the head (which is lacking in the top photo) and they have a longer tail with a rounded tip.
It’s also a female on its size and was hatched last year because of the brown colouring.

I've seen them swoop in and destroy doves right off the feeder. The other birds seem to sense when the hawk is around and hide in the cedar hedge but the doves don't seem to get it and pay the ultimate price.

So, any bird watchers out there?
  • Cooper's Hawk (immature)
  • Sharp-Shinned Hawk (immature)
  • something else?
Yea, my wife is obsessed so we have like 19 feeders and everything is covered in bird crap.

Right now we have blue jays, cardinals, juncos, gold finches, house finches, chickadees, nut hatches and mourning doves, as well as invasive species sparrows and starlings. Regularly we see red tail and coopers hawks in our yards feeding on Sarah's pets. During the summer add a lot more.

I say Coopers. Smaller and the bands on the tail.

And then there's this hawk... it discovered that a wooden carving red-winged blackbird wasn't food.

My bet is a Coopers Hawk in the early morph stage. His black cap ends at the back of his head and doesn't continue down on the neck.
I make my own suet logs out of an old cedar post and drill 1" holes in it and pack them with semi melted suet. We currently have 6 different wood peckers visiting. Downie, Hairy, Red Bellied, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, Northern Flicker and a big Piliated who stops in every other day. Fill your feeders today everyone, with this big snow coming they're gong to need our help.

My bet is a Coopers Hawk in the early morph stage. His black cap ends at the back of his head and doesn't continue down on the neck.
I make my own suet logs out of an old cedar post and drill 1" holes in it and pack them with semi melted suet. We currently have 6 different wood peckers visiting. Downie, Hairy, Red Bellied, Yellow Bellied Sapsucker, Northern Flicker and a big Piliated who stops in every other day. Fill your feeders today everyone, with this big snow coming they're gong to need our help.
@GPS I agree 👍👍 & fill your feeder’s today everyone. I just recently bought another 18 kg.(39.6 lbs.),of Wild Bird Sunflower 🌻 seeds. It definitely does look like,that we are in for a nasty winter storm!!

Attachments

• D2C707EA-33CB-4E01-87C6-9535ADFA1248.jpeg
    D2C707EA-33CB-4E01-87C6-9535ADFA1248.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 6
Yep! I'd guess a juvenile Sharp-Shinned. A Coopers is very similar. Relative size is the best way to tell them apart. Hard to tell from a photo. Sharp - Shinned are a little bigger than a Morning Dove and Coopers are almost twice the size. Both like to feed on sparrows and visit feeders on a regular basis.

I am on the side of a sharp shin. I agree they are tough to tell from coopers but judging the size relative the unfortunate sparrow and its rather small delicate looking head I say sharp shin. Coopers are bigger but also have a more robust and powerful look about them.

I've seen them swoop in and destroy doves right off the feeder. The other birds seem to sense when the hawk is around and hide in the cedar hedge but the doves don't seem to get it and pay the ultimate price.
Greg, I hope at least you do your best Marlon Perkins impression while witnessing this raw display of nature’s wrath….

Funny, now that you mention it @G.Mech , the mourning doves that used to be regulars in our backyard have been conspicuously absent

Back