What are your top 3 favourite fish to target?

Haddock at Costco, tastes fantastic. I like fishing all the other species too but require a lot more effort and cost 100X as much to bring home. ;)

1. Channel catfish, they are excellent eating, powerful fighters, available almost everywhere from boat or shore. 2. King salmon when they run in the great lakes tributaries in the fall. 3. Good old Walleye, great eating.

In no particular order....

Musky, particularly topwater musky. Few things are as rewarding. And anywhere but St Clair, that fishery really doesn't interest me much

Throwing big steamers for big resident Browns. Its just as rewarding and heart pumping to see a 2 foot resident trout fly out of a log jam after a giant Pike sized fly as it is a 4 foot plus Musky

River Steelhead. Nothing tests your motivation and fortitude like Steelheading. Despite being the easiest fish to catch consistently the places they take me and the crazy things I do to catch them in solitude makes the entire experience a blast. Steelheading can be as simple or as complicated as you like and you can enjoy the fishery in so many ways throughout a better part of the year.

Josh

Spring steelhead on the smaller great lakes tributaries
Salmon out in the lake
Speckled trout in creeks that run through the swamps and Bush.

Perch...
Walleye.......
Chinooks..........

Attachments

• 14d7eeaea337a60abf580eed90531803.jpg
    14d7eeaea337a60abf580eed90531803.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 75 Perch cought June 12-05 inport burwell in 5 hours 004.jpg
    75 Perch cought June 12-05 inport burwell in 5 hours 004.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 4
  • GOPR0933.JPG
    GOPR0933.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 6
  • GOPR1957_LI.jpg
    GOPR1957_LI.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 6
Steelhead and Salmon on Georgian Bay
Cohos in the fall (I think I like them better than steelhead)
Bass on topwater

In no particular order....

Musky, particularly topwater musky. Few things are as rewarding. And anywhere but St Clair, that fishery really doesn't interest me much

Throwing big steamers for big resident Browns. Its just as rewarding and heart pumping to see a 2 foot resident trout fly out of a log jam after a giant Pike sized fly as it is a 4 foot plus Musky

River Steelhead. Nothing tests your motivation and fortitude like Steelheading. Despite being the easiest fish to catch consistently the places they take me and the crazy things I do to catch them in solitude makes the entire experience a blast. Steelheading can be as simple or as complicated as you like and you can enjoy the fishery in so many ways throughout a better part of the year.

Josh
Why don't you like the St Clair fishery?

Pickerel Great for meat.
Perch. Great for any age limit.
Rainbow. Great for the Fight.

Ok, I'll play 😁

Muskie
Lake trout
Pike

I don't eat a lot of fish. Just love the outdoors and prefer to target fish that are big and a blast to fight.

Why don't you like the St Clair fishery?
Two reasons, one is the scenery sucks. Its a big flat fishbowl with plenty of traffic and doesn't appeal to my lust for seclusion and separation from every day life. I'd much rather float down a quiet river or explore a quiet, scenic lake.

Second is the fact that it isnt exactly a challenging fishery. Sure the ease of putting a 50 in the boat is appealing, particularly when your newer to the game but I've been there and done that. There's far more enjoyable fisheries available. It's comparable to fishing a stocked pond for trout IMO....Not to say that I don't go for a St Clair fix on occasion, but its at the bottom of my list despite being so close.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks