Renaming Asian Carp - it was only a matter of time...

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
It sounds like we'll be hearing the term 'invasive carp' instead of 'Asian carp' in the future. Are there any other species we should be re-naming while we're at it? Does the term 'Northern' offend anybody in the pike family or anyone from the North? Is 'sheephead' offense to anyone in the animal kingdom? I can't keep track of all the acceptable, politically correct terms any more...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/asian-carp-renaming-fish-racism-1.6103742

The left sees racism in everything. I don't think you may even hear the term "invasise" because this would offend someone. And then you would have to use the proper gender pronouns because guess what... The fish has its own pronouns! Next steps - soon you will see whitefish, dogfish, catfish, sunfish etc all offending someone's feelings.

My opinion, which doesn't mean squat....is........If you know what the fish is the person is referring too......who cares what they call it. If you intend to keep the fish you caught to eat, you're not likely about to throw a "walleye" back in because someone called it a "pickerel" or vice versa. Same thing if you catch a "steelhead" and someone calls it a "rainbow" instead. You'll keep the fish and throw that other person in the lake instead😁

What a person calls a fish depends a great deal on where that person is from, and what they have called that fish their entire lives, whether it is "technically or politically" correct or not. Just because some scientists or the government change the name of a fish doesn't mean people are going to stop calling it what they've been calling it for years, maybe their entire life. IE the damn debate about is it a walleye or is it a pickerel. NEITHER, it's lunch dammit......ok, maybe supper and or breakfast too.. ;) but what we call a fish here in Ontario is not necessarily what it's called in other regions, or the other provinces and territories. IE in the NWT, the "walleye" is known by several different names........the more common ones we know, "walleye and pickerel" but it's also known as "dore and pikeperch." The northern pike is another fish that is known by different names in the NWT depending on who you're talking too and where they're from. Some call them "jackfish" others "fresh water gators," and others still simply just call them "snakes" (because of their slime.) It all depends on where they're from, and what they've been calling it their entire life. and how willing they are to adapt and change to the new name. Most people don't or won't, again, the walleye/pickerel debate. If you know what fish the person is talking about, it's not that big a deal what they call it.

What I wanna know is when are they gonna let us use gobies as bait? Every fish I've brought home this year, and some last year were just full of them. They're here, they're not going anywhere, and the fish are eating them.

Does this mean we will no longer be eating at restaurants featuring Asian Cuisine, that we will now be enjoying Invasive Cuisine
As one who worked in a former Canadian/Chinese restaurant as a chef, I can tell you that what we call "Asian Cuisine" here has very much been "North Americanized." I've seen and been taught how to make some of the more authentic "Asian" dishes and a majority of what goes into them, is vegetables.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks