$800 ticket?

rodphoto7

I heard a guy got ticketed $800 on the bay fishing alone infront of Booths. Can anyone confirm this is happening?

The stay-at-home order requires everyone to remain at their residence at all times unless leaving their residence is necessary for specific, listed purposes, which notably include:

"Obtaining food, beverages and personal care items."

and

"Exercising, including,
i. walking or moving around outdoors using an assistive mobility device, or
ii. using an outdoor recreational amenity that is permitted to be open."

https://files.ontario.ca/solgen_oreg265-21_2021-04-07.pdf

Marinas are addressed directly under O.Reg. 82/20 (https://www.canlii.org/en/on/laws/regu/o-reg-82-20/latest/o-reg-82-20.html) section 37. "The person who operates the marina shall not permit it to be used for recreational boating purposes except as described in paragraphs 1 and 2 of subsection (2)." [Repairing or servicing boats or other watercraft, or placing boats or other watercraft in the water to be secured to a dock until the marina is open to the public.]. This is the regulation which has forced the inner bay and outer bay marinas to close their boat launches to recreational boaters/anglers.

Boat launches not associated with marinas are not addressed in O.Reg. 82/20. Several health units have clarified that such launches can remain open (and they have), while in other areas such launches have been closed. Regardless, everyone is required to abide by the stay at home order or face possible fines.

Individual interpretation of the above (including an officer's interpretation) may vary.

In my opinion, it's clear that using a standalone boat launch that has been allowed to stay open is acceptable, especially if one is obtaining fish to eat. On the other hand, pushing aside a barrier to launch at a closed marina on inner bay (for instance) is not. I've no idea the circumstances around this rumoured ticket at Booth's, though.

It doesn't make sense that marina launches are closed while others are open (concentrating traffic and encouraging people to travel longer distances), but those are the current rules. For those that decide to go fishing, IMO we would do well to demonstrate that fishing/boating can be done with extraordinarily low covid risk - keep plenty of distance from others at boat launches, and don't crowd the boat with people from multiple households. I'm surprised that the "standalone launch" loophole has remained open, but there are two ways the Gov't could address it: close all the ramps or open all the ramps. Hopefully it's the latter.

My guess is he was fined for breaking the stay at home order by likely having his boat in a marina and taking it out to fish as it must remain tied to a dock. Just my guess though

I was going to throw this question out there,& maybe a stupid question. I have a kayak & I was thinking of using it to fish out of it for pike,along the reeds on the inner bay of long point. I don’t need a boat launch,but does anyone know,if a kayak is allowed to be on the water,during this current lockdown?? Thanks in advance for any answers back & hopefully,Pike ON!! that is,if I am allowed?? 🛶🎣🐟😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 6831A79E-CBEA-4939-B417-EE3310282322.jpeg
    6831A79E-CBEA-4939-B417-EE3310282322.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 12
I was going to throw this question out there,& maybe a stupid question. I have a kayak & I was thinking of using it to fish out of it for pike,along the reeds on the inner bay of long point. I don’t need a boat launch,but does anyone know,if a kayak is allowed to be on the water,during this current lockdown?? Thanks in advance for any answers back & hopefully,Pike ON!! that is,if I am allowed?? 🛶🎣🐟😉👍🙂
Red, I'm disappointed you've not been reading my YAK ATTACK posts for this year. We've been launching yaks to fish Lake O since the 'lock-down'. Can't get more alone than on a yak. Yeah, and I'm also out with the big boats soooooo, what lockdown? Yes, Lake O...but lake E has had its share of big boat fishers posting results this season also....sooooo again, what lockdown?

King Joe, Outa Here!

I’ve been out on lake O with no problems. Haven’t been on Erie.

Red, I'm disappointed you've not been reading my YAK ATTACK posts for this year. We've been launching yaks to fish Lake O since the 'lock-down'. Can't get more alone than on a yak. Yeah, and I'm also out with the big boats soooooo, what lockdown? Yes, Lake O...but lake E has had its share of big boat fishers posting results this season also....sooooo again, what lockdown?

King Joe, Outa Here!
Thanks @King Joe about “what lockdown” 👍👍🙂 and I must of been sleeping 😴!! 🙄 Thanks especially also for your reply back from a experience “Yak Fisherman!!” Be Safe!! 😷 & keep sending your fishing report’s in!! 🛶🎣🐟😉👍🙂

That's a rumor that seems to be be spreading on Facebook. No proof or evidence that this is true has been posted. No announcement either. I call BS. Fish with confidence (just not for bass)
I’m guessing Karen doesn’t like the idea of people enjoying themselves and started a rumour on Facebook to try and convince people to stay at home. If it’s on Facebook or must be true, right?

Hi Red,

Some tips for fishing during this current round of stay at home order.

1). Do not use a closed amenity. (Don’t ignore closed signs at ramps, move barricades or the like.)
2). Take your lunch and coffee with you and gas up at home.
3). Understand what your doing. I am engaged in recreational kayaking and fishing as exercise and to obtain dinner. I left my place of residence, came straight to my intended place of exercise, and will return promptly to my residence upon completion in compliance with the order.
4). There is no limitation on where you can travel. You will however find people that will tell you that’s the case. There is no legislative line item that limits distance you may travel from your home.
5). You may run into a Police or Bylaw officer that disagree with your position. Don’t argue or otherwise be a mouthpiece. The majority of enforcement staff don’t want to touch this with a 10 foot pole. But like in any job you will run into people with the “Just do it” frame of mind. Those rare birds will take the approach of charge everyone and let the courts sort it out. Just take your ticket. The next day contact the courts and request a trial date. You will eventually get a trial date. At which point, you can refer to bullet point 3. Know what you where doing and be able to clearly state it wasn’t a violation of the order. Generally if you are a polite and reasonable guy who is able to clearly articulate what you are doing and how it complies with the order without giving lectures on the Charter etc. you are very unlikely to run into problems. Good luck.

I know a guy who got a 800 fine for being at the beach in the first lockdown he took it to court and won. None of these fines will hold up aslong as you will fight it
Agreed
If I got a fine
Smile and say thank you
Proceed with what I was doing
Take it to court

Judging by the amount of traffic from Niagara to gta and points in between, Only government employees are staying home, seems to be business as usual. Sad that we couldn’t of got this right the first time or the very least the second round, when you see people in a (my) small town driving range rovers at my little grocery store with one thing in their hands makes you wonder, Good thing for me and I have been so busy don’t have time to launch the boat anyway on top of the fact there’s a tri axle load of mulch in front of my garage door and of course the boat is behind the mulch lol. Anybody want some free mulch LOL

Judging by the amount of traffic from Niagara to gta and points in between, Only government employees are staying home, seems to be business as usual. Sad that we couldn’t of got this right the first time or the very least the second round, when you see people in a (my) small town driving range rovers at my little grocery store with one thing in their hands makes you wonder, Good thing for me and I have been so busy don’t have time to launch the boat anyway on top of the fact there’s a tri axle load of mulch in front of my garage door and of course the boat is behind the mulch lol. Anybody want some free mulch LOL
What type of mulch?

I just went to bronte boat launch and it’s open. No boat trailers and nobody there! BUT... then a halton region boat floated around the bend and I flagged him over to try to shed the nonsense...

he told me, that they were told NOT to ask for ID, “ no need to pester fishingboats” and that fishing is safe.

he said I can launch my boat any time and not to worry about the police. He said he couldn’t speak to what peel region or others are doing but he’s thinking they are following the same guidelines.

he said that if there is a second person in the boat and there is a cop who is being a sick and asks for ID and residence, simply say that “we live together” and if the addresses don’t jive, your fishing buddy recent got kicked out of his house due to a wife that doesn’t appreciate fishing, and that he’s “staying in your basement”.

super nice cop and said “why arent you fishing today!” Lol I now have no concerns over this hype

I just went to bronte boat launch and it’s open. No boat trailers and nobody there! BUT... then a halton region boat floated around the bend and I flagged him over to try to shed the nonsense...

he told me, that they were told NOT to ask for ID, “ no need to pester fishingboats” and that fishing is safe.

he said I can launch my boat any time and not to worry about the police. He said he couldn’t speak to what peel region or others are doing but he’s thinking they are following the same guidelines.

he said that if there is a second person in the boat and there is a cop who is being a sick and asks for ID and residence, simply say that “we live together” and if the addresses don’t jive, your fishing buddy recent got kicked out of his house due to a wife that doesn’t appreciate fishing, and that he’s “staying in your basement”.

super nice cop and said “why arent you fishing today!” Lol I now have no concerns over this hype
I went the extra step and have a lease drawn up
For my fishing buddy
He also lives alone so is aloud to mix up with my household
But you never know could get a super hero cop
But the lease is printed right off the Ontario website so not like it’s written on a napkin

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks