Dessert Plans

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
It's time for me to produce a few desserts at the @stomp household and I'm in the 'squares/bars' mood. Family requests include Peanut Butter Squares (I make them wearing gloves but don't eat them due to a nut allergy) and some Nanaimo Bars (made without walnuts). I'm looking for a 3rd thing to make that is less decadent and welcome any ideas. @Trevor M .. you had mentioned pursuing some lower sugar options - any ideas?

It's time for me to produce a few desserts at the @stomp household and I'm in the 'squares/bars' mood. Family requests include Peanut Butter Squares (I make them wearing gloves but don't eat them due to a nut allergy) and some Nanaimo Bars (made without walnuts). I'm looking for a 3rd thing to make that is less decadent and welcome any ideas. @Trevor M .. you had mentioned pursuing some lower sugar options - any ideas?
Sorry @Mrs. Stomp. I'm still exploring that option and haven't yet come up with anything yet that I'd be willing to recommend. If I find something tho I'll post about it.

@Mrs. Stomp, I was just talking with my mom and she tells me what she's done since my dad was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in her baking has been to sub the sugar with splenda or other sweeteners. My wife buys brownie and cake mixes that are labeled "no sugar added" as well as the "no sugar added" ice cream when we can find them or at least the ones she likes. ;)

Many times The Wife just cuts back on the sugar content in a recipe.

There's no reason to have one's teeth hurt everytime due to the amount of sugar. :eek::D

You can cut back in lots of things and they'll still taste just fine.

I'll be honest, although I can bake and do desserts, it's never been my strongest skill but I've been "playing" a little with a few things here and there, but haven't found anything that I'm comfortable recommending yet. What I've come up with has been ok, but I wouldn't serve it in a restaurant and if I won't do that, I won't recommend it.

My wife is the baker, I'm the cook, but in recent years most of the time we get homemade baked goods, it's my mom who made it and either brought it to us or we've picked it up.

I’ve been baking with my Grandma since I was a child, I love baking!
Anything baked is better than any store bought baked item, unless it’s from a bakery of course hahaha
I’m talking cookie aisle

I'm too have to watch my sugar
So sometimes for dessert a small fluffy pancake or small crepe with a healthy dose of fruits , raspberries, banana, strawberries, mangoes, any or combination of, and a tea spoon of Maple syrup, for the crepes no added sugar jam , my favorite is apricot

I’ve been baking with my Grandma since I was a child, I love baking!
Anything baked is better than any store bought baked item, unless it’s from a bakery of course hahaha
I’m talking cookie aisle
Chocolate Chip is my favorite cookie🤤, but I try to stay away from them, but it doesn't take much to twist my arm into having a couple now and then.😛

Many times The Wife just cuts back on the sugar content in a recipe.

There's no reason to have one's teeth hurt everytime due to the amount of sugar. :eek::D

You can cut back in lots of things and they'll still taste just fine.
I like your wife's approach! I'm hoping that it works on the brisket today with the amount of fat I trimmed (aka hacked off) from the meat.
I love this recipe

There was a need for a sweet thing "stat" after dinner so I just made the choc chip cookie bars a la @Derkd9 and ditched my original plan for PB squares and nanaimo bars. Once everyone has sampled 1 or 2, I'm going to hide the rest in the freezer (because they are delish and decadent). Tomorrow I move onto the other ideas - crepes with fruit, hold the sugar, are sounding like they will be on Monday's menu.
Choc chip cookie bars.jpg

I'm too have to watch my sugar
So sometimes for dessert a small fluffy pancake or small crepe with a healthy dose of fruits , raspberries, banana, strawberries, mangoes, any or combination of, and a tea spoon of Maple syrup, for the crepes no added sugar jam , my favorite is apricot
@Ticker I finally got to the crepes - was a great suggestion for the @stomp household because it fulfilled a variety of dessert preferences: spread with Nutella or filled with strawberries/whip cream or cinnamon/sugar or just plain and delish without guilt. Another batch will be on the make soon.
Crepes.jpg

Wow that's looks delicious,
My aunt use to make it with crushed walnut/ sugar mixture sprinkled inside and vanilla ice cream rolled and chocolate syrup on top
Eating one of them I would have to go for a jog to work off the calories
She had a restaurant in London

Wow that's looks delicious,
My aunt use to make it with crushed walnut/ sugar mixture sprinkled inside and vanilla ice cream rolled and chocolate syrup on top
Eating one of them I would have to go for a jog to work off the calories
She had a restaurant in London
Ice cream inside would be a winner! We have friends who have a Hungarian background and we have had crepes a few different ways at their place. What was the name of your aunt's restaurant (if you don't mind me asking)..

Budapest on Dundas st
We were not close , I guess due to her being extremely eccentric lol
I did spent some time there in 88- 89
Unfortunately she passed away in 2018 not sure if anyone took the restaurant over

Budapest on Dundas st
We were not close , I guess due to her being extremely eccentric lol
I did spent some time there in 88- 89
Unfortunately she passed away in 2018 not sure if anyone took the restaurant over
I loved the Budapest! @stomp and I used to go there for lunch periodically when we both worked downtown in London. Comfort food for me was the Transylvania blintz with spaetzle and the paprika sauce. I've tried to make it at home (albeit without a spaetzle maker) with no luck and the sauce was the best! I remember a woman who was there for years (maybe was your aunt) . She always said.... 'lovely people'. She herself was lovely!

Yes that be the owner , Marika
She was nice don't get me wrong
I loved the shnicel with what you call spaetzle we call them dumplings and paprika souce which is sauce from chicken paprikas and she made the best vinegar based coleslaw
Dumplings are very easy , eggs , flour, pinch of salt , I add a bit of water as I like it ligth not thick texture, mix to consistency of cookie dough or a bit softer , experiment with it till you find what consistency you like , I use a metal tray with holes in it " it was made to grill vegetables on the BBQ but works great " boil water put tray on top and put in dough, I use a flat plastic spatula to push it through, it cooks in minutes

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks