Off Topic Cooking-Oil for Deep-Fryer.

Anyone using an air fryer for fish? Supposed to be healthier I guess but at this point, I'm not really sure that's a priority in my life...

Bev's fries in Simcoe many say she has the best been selling fries for many years always busy she told me she uses tallow or lard but says she won't tell to many as everyone is on a health kick anymore and might frown on it

heart attack mood GIF

Thanks to everyone that replied. Looks like I am going to give the Canola-oil a whirl for my next batch of fillets! Can hardly wait. Thanks again Walleyeman.
I've given this little tip before, but it's been a while since the last time so I'll give it again.

As a former chef in industry (for 12 of 15 years I was in that industry) what I was trained to do to ensure a nice crispy batter was when you're placing the fillet in the oil, after you dip it in the batter, let the excess drip off back into the batter bowl, then holding what would be the tail end of the fillet between your thumb and index finger, lower the thicker head end of the fillet into the oil slowly moving it back and forth until it starts to float then release the rest of the fillet into the oil. Once it starts to float again (doesn't take long) let it cook for another 15 seconds or so, then flip it, let it cook for 30-40 seconds, then remove it from the oil and let it cool slightly on a Drip rack (your wife should have one for her baking IF she does any baking.) What you're doing is blanching it. Once you have all the fish you're planning to cook blanched, you let the oil heat up again (again, this doesn't take long) and then depending on the size of the fryer you have and the basket(s) you're using to cook them in (if any) you can put the fish back in to finish cooking, (takes at most another 2-3 minutes depending on how large and thick the fillet is, they don't stick to each other, they cook evenly, and once they're all floating, they're done, you take them out of the oil, let the excess oil drip off and serve.

This is the batter recipe I use.

3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water

Step 1
Mix the dry ingredients together.
Along with any seasonings you wish, Stir 3/4 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt together in a large bowl.

Step 2
Add water and stir to combine. To make into beer batter, substitute beer for water. Use warm beer for best results Use immediately.

Step 3
This is a thick batter, but I always use a little more water, beer, or maybe a little white wine to thin it a little bit to the consistency I want it to be.

Step 4
Dip fish into another bowl with flour (seasoned if and how you wish) then an egg wash, then dip the fish into the batter and deep fry. Use also for vegetables or onion rings. Coat fish fillets completely.

Step 5
Deep fry until golden brown.

Liquid batter is great for cooking for the masses but not up my alley for every few week use.

I typically use 100% canola but have heard blends with peanut oil add some flavour and oil longevity. Gonna give it a try.

I should send this thread to my doctor, I expect a similar response as @stomp 's last post above LOL.

Steaming fish ................... the nerve.

I should send this thread to my doctor, I expect a similar response as @stomp 's last post above LOL.

Steaming fish ................... the nerve.
If I'm not deep frying it or pan frying it, it's going in the oven wrapped in tin foil (or possibly the BBQ) How I cook it depends on how lazy I'm feeling. ;):ROFLMAO:

If I'm not deep frying it or pan frying it, it's going in the oven wrapped in tin foil (or possibly the BBQ) How I cook it depends on how lazy I'm feeling. ;):ROFLMAO:
I've gotten away from deep frying lately and instead use a barbecue mat I got at Can-tire. For fish I dip the fillets in seasoned flour then in whipped egg white and finally in seasoned panko bread crumbs. I spray cooking oil on the mat and also on the fillets before I flip them. I heat the barbecue to 400 and they come out nice and crispy without the oil. TC

Bev's fries in Simcoe many say she has the best been selling fries for many years always busy she told me she uses tallow or lard but says she won't tell to many as everyone is on a health kick anymore and might frown on it
"everyones on a health kick" hilarious as they are eating fries from a chip wagon :). And I'm not knocking Bev's I know Suzy very well. TC

I've gotten away from deep frying lately and instead use a barbecue mat I got at Can-tire. For fish I dip the fillets in seasoned flour then in whipped egg white and finally in seasoned panko bread crumbs. I spray cooking oil on the mat and also on the fillets before I flip them. I heat the barbecue to 400 and they come out nice and crispy without the oil. TC
Like I said, how I cook it depends entirely on how lazy I'm feeling :ROFLMAO:. I've got lots of different ways stored away in my head on how to cook fish which includes many differing ways to season it. I've done the panko breading exactly as you described it, but usually I do it in a frying pan sprayed with an olive oil spray, sometimes I'll use just enough canola or vegetable oil to cover the center of the bottom of the frying pan then spread it around so the oil has covered the rest of the pan, then once the oil has heated up I'll add a tablespoon of garlic butter and cook it with that, periodically basting the fillet(s) or I'll put it in the oven and get the same result. Trick is never put the fish in the pan until that diluted oil/garlic butter is HOT. IF it doesn't sizzle when you put it in, it ain't hot enough.

But ideally, (so they say) if you truly want your fish dinner to be "healthy" the best ways to cook it is not to batter or bread it with anything. Instead it is best to season it and then use one of these cooking methods:
  • sous vide ( vacuum sealed and brought to a very specific temperature in a water bath, no less than 130F to avoid any potential of causing someone to become ill with a food borne illness (food poisoning,) and it will be well done at143F Anywhere in between that temperature range you'll be ok, above that 143F, you over cooked it and it may not be as "edible" as hoped :inpain::banghead:)
  • microwaving, (I have NEVER met or trained under any professional chef who would EVER condone doing this with fish)
  • baking,
  • broiling,
  • grilling,
  • steaming,
  • and poaching. (DO NOT bring your liquid of choice to a boil. You only want it to be a light simmer. IF or when I cook fish using a poaching method of cooking it, I usually use white wine, or or a red whine if I'm doing salmon or char, but usually I just use water seasoned how I like or a store bought seafood broth, and IF you're using any kind of alcohol, don't worry, the heat evaporates the alcohol so when you serve it, people will NOT get drunk from what you served that you cooked using alcohol. Only the flavor remains. Make sure you have enough liquid to cover the fish. Once you've seasoned and placed your fish into the simmering liquid cover and cook for 5 minutes, then remove the pot from the heat and keeping it covered let it sit for another 10 minutes to finish.)
Remember, like a steak, or any other meat, be that pork or poultry, even though you've removed it from the heat, it's going to continue to cook. That's why a lot of times when you order a steak in a restaurant, especially when it's very busy in that restaurant, it comes to you over cooked or in some cases under cooked. For whatever reason, the timing was off just a bit between the kitchen and waitstaff and that can make all the difference.

There is dealer in Sudbury, decks and docks.
Was very easy to deal with since bass pro stopped carrying in 🇨🇦

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks