Off Topic Something to think about.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
You do like to tell people your life stories (I don't know why but this is something I would not do on a public forum but it's your choice).

Like I said in a previous response. No, I haven't told anyone my "life story" FAR from it. I've used bits and pieces of my life but nowhere near what could be considered as being my life story. Would take far to long, weeks or even months to do THAT and my fingers would be sore from all that typing or I'd bust the keyboard:LOL:

Personally, I'm looking forward to that day, and it can't be all that far off now, maybe if we're lucky a week or so from now, when this forum goes back to bitching about the ones that got away. But as I also said in another response, I've already written off this year's fishin season, but that can change depending on when they open the beaches and piers again.

V, You do get if this crud is not cleaned up, in as you say, shit whole countries, it's going to remain here right?
Not sure old Russian saying's and vodka will fix that.

You have way tooooo much time on you hands !!!!......good luck!
We all do right now. :LOL:

But things are starting to reopen, so maybe that'll change once everything is open again right. I know my wife has a list all ready for me, :eek: just a matter of certain stores opening and then I have to get at that list.:inpain:

V, You do get if this crud is not cleaned up, in as you say, shit whole countries, it's going to remain here right?
Not sure old Russian saying's and vodka will fix that.

C, this is not going away, it is going to stay with us just like flu, and someone in this useless government better realize that and start working on phasing in the hydroxychloroquine treatment. Other countries and states started to do that.

As for the shitholeness of some countries, this shitholeness is a result of the choices and decisions government/leaders bringing it onto their people. If Canada would ever become one God forbid, it would not be because of the virus, but because of the Shiny Pony PM. And neither vodka nor rye nor black label will help with that.

C, this is not going away, it is going to stay with us just like flu, and someone in this useless government better realize that and start working on phasing in the hydroxychloroquine treatment. Other countries and states started to do that.

As for the shitholeness of some countries, this shitholeness is a result of the choices and decisions government/leaders bringing it onto their people. If Canada would ever become one God forbid, it would not be because of the virus, but because of the Shiny Pony PM. And neither vodka nor rye nor black label will help with that.
хорошо сказал таварис комараде

My soft spot is centerpin reels, particularly locally made pieces. I've added 2 dozen or more to the collection so far this year and have several other high end pieces on order :giggle: Just got a message I have a couple to pick up in Windsor next chance I get to head that way. A 'Rainmaker' and 'Canada Drifter'
View attachment 22947
View attachment 22948
If at some point my finances do happen to go sideways I should be able to make it comfortably for a year or more on my centerpin investments :p

Josh

Hey @Josh Roelofsen I also have a soft spot for center pins. Hard to believe I was one of the first few to every fish with them in Ontario 30+ years ago. There was a select group of us that got some funny looks on the river. First one I started with was a Grice and Yonge then moved to Adcok Statons, Aerial's and Leeds. Time sure flies. Nice looking reels!

хорошо сказал таварис комараде
На здоровье! I have a new batch of Shoehorns to get rid of later this week or next week. Need to offset the cost of the X4D ?

Sorry I didnt read all the dialogue but seems money is the primary source of contention in your posts or at least more of it would help...same goes for anyone right now, so I totally get that...just so you are aware you can start a pretty successful drop shipping business on ebay or amazon with zero investment. You dont need any inventory space just a little tech knowledge to maybe create a webpage...I had a buddy in university was making a few extra bucks. just an idea not here to judge or bash. If you have SCM background and logistics you would probably be able to corner some markets in the drop shipping game. Again sorry didnt read everything if I missed the point but thought I would offer what I believe to be a useful bit if knowledge.

Cheers and have a good evening, my kids fingers are getting pruny so gotta get him outta da tub!

Why are you not on the trillium program and if you are paying bills and food why is your wife not buying your drugs .

Sorry for the late response. Meant to earlier and forgot. I think you may have misunderstood. I don't pay ALL the bills we have. I pay some of our bills, and my wife pays the others. I also don't buy all our groceries. I go for groceries and I pay for them the day I get paid. It's always a "bigger trip" to the grocery store that day, but that's because I'm buying a bit more than my wife usually pays for because while I do get things for her lunches for the next week that day, I'm getting primarily supper items for the next couple of weeks, where as what she pays for is mostly what we've used for her lunches, and we're just topping up what had been used from the week before. By the time it's all added up, what I spend and what she does on groceries, is almost the same, I just do it in one big shopping trip, while she does it over a few weeks.

I'm not on the trillium program for the same reason I can't get ODSP. They told me I had to apply for CPP first and once a decision was made, call them again. So, that's what I did and then waited almost a full year before CPP finally made the decision and approved that application. Once that decision had been made, I called ODSP again to see if I'd be eligible for just the medical, dental, vision and prescription benefits and was told they use the combined income of the home to determine eligibility, that if eligible, they'd take every cent of my CPP and then once I gave them the info they asked for, they told me we were not eligible for anything from them anyways because what we made combined was $100 more than their eligibility criteria allowed, so making the application would be a waste of time because it would be denied. I asked them about trillium and was told I wouldn't be eligible for trillium either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @Josh Roelofsen I also have a soft spot for center pins. Hard to believe I was one of the first few to every fish with them in Ontario 30+ years ago. There was a select group of us that got some funny looks on the river. First one I started with was a Grice and Yonge then moved to Adcok Statons, Aerial's and Leeds. Time sure flies. Nice looking reels!

I remember looking at Grice and Young's at the Port Albert general store as a young fella. I'm only 39 but bought my first centrepin, a black Stanton nearly 30yrs ago with paper route money I had saved up all summer for. Despite my grandad, dad, uncle and cousins all being ardent steelheaders I was the first to make the jump to a pin. Didn't take me long to get dialed in. And by the time I had my license at 16 I was quite the efficient and motivated young angler :)

I don't really recall getting alot of funny looks on the river on this side of the border but our trips to Michigan were a different story! The techniques are finally just catching on stateside in the past few years. I get quite a kick out of seeing the sport redevelop all over again stateside watching certain websites and Facebook groups...

Josh

I remember looking at Grice and Young's at the Port Albert general store as a young fella. I'm only 39 but bought my first centrepin, a black Stanton nearly 30yrs ago with paper route money I had saved up all summer for. Despite my grandad, dad, uncle and cousins all being ardent steelheaders I was the first to make the jump to a pin. Didn't take me long to get dialed in. And by the time I had my license at 16 I was quite the efficient and motivated young angler :)

I don't really recall getting alot of funny looks on the river on this side of the border but our trips to Michigan were a different story! The techniques are finally just catching on stateside in the past few years. I get quite a kick out of seeing the sport redevelop all over again stateside watching certain websites and Facebook groups...

Josh
My first was the super heavy stream runner
I loved that at the time
Than got the much lighter Islander
Than got into the IMX rods custom made
Had some great trips around the great lakes with friends and met a lot of great people
Yes in the south the looks we get , and head shakes " here comes them Canucks with them weird reals " they would say
I do miss it , but not the weekend crowds as I cant skippe weekdays work

Last edited:
I loved that at the time
Had some great trips around the great lakes with friends and met a lot of great people
Yes in the south the looks we get , and head shakes " here comes them Canucks with them weird reals " they would say
Well said tavaris komarade...…. ;) ?

Like I said before, I knew some people would growl at me and would attack because they just don't get it, and probably won't until or unless they find themselves in the same situation, which I hope they never do.

I loved that at the time

Streamrunners weren't too bad, try an Osprey or a KISS! Now those were some heavy reels :LOL: I've been rod building since I was about 10yrs old and those IMX's are still the most coveted rods for steelheaders....

75% of my Steelheading now involves a watercraft of one type or another. I hate crowds as much as anyone and do my best to avoid seeong anyone on the river. Still lots of very quiet water around with a litte effort. Most days I don't cross paths with anyone, even on weekends :giggle:

Josh

I know what you mean about stateside @Josh Roelofsen. We were fishing the Big Manistee river in the late 80's with Float Rods and reels. Dick Swan would just watch in amazement. (Dick was the "founder" of noodle rods) Dick moved quickly to the center pin after seeing the Canadians use them. As for up here we did get some looks as there were only about 5 of use that were using them at the beginning. Most people were bouncing bottom. I still love to bottom bounce and do that when we head to the Big Manistee every fall, but bring out the float rod every now and then for some big water trout.
I would have to say that while float fishing is fun it has truly made a lot of marginal fisher people into what they deem as experts, just about anyone can tell if they have a fish on when the float goes down. Now not everyone can bottom bounce and feel fish vs bottom, still nothing like the feel of a Steelhead trying to rip the rod from your hands on a drift ;)

Josh
@Real Therapy and @Josh Roelofsen my first centerpin reel was also a Grice and Young, I still have it and put it on a brand new pole and used it this fall and spring,, I bought it 35 years ago,, Steve Martin bought one first on our way to Michigan to fish the Manistee and Beatsie,,, I was so impressed I bought one as soon as I got home and have never looked back at centerpin angling. I am a retired tool and die maker and I was lucky that I could make my own centerpin, I made a bunch for close friends, its a copy of an LG Custom, here is a picture of both reels....Pocono

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0239.JPG
    IMG_0239.JPG
    514.7 KB · Views: 31
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks