Off Topic Best way to season a new BBQ?

I will also recommend a Weber.

Like the commercials on the radio say, you can buy a cheap one that will last 2yrs and when they break down you can't get replacement parts for them.

You can get parts for most higher end BBQs either on Amazon, Home Depot or the local propane store that sells the BBQs.

After initial cleaning.

Seasoning, wipe all the parts food will touch with food grade oil.

Turn it on as per standard seasoning instructions.

After periodic deep cleans, reseason parts that come in contact with food.

Had a Napoleon for 21 yrs and loved it. Only replace the cast iron grill over the years. Firebox started rusting out (to be fair I really didn't take care of it well the last few years) so I finally replaced it. Went charcoal with a knock off of the Big Green Egg called the Golden Egg for D.O.T. furniture and love it. Everything tastes so much better over charcoal. Got mine during their Black Friday sale at are 50% off, under $800. I never use the gas grill now, even for a quick hamburg or hot dog. Fast easy way to light charcoal is to use a MAPP gas torch!

@murph you don't find the MAPP torch leaves a horrible after taste?

Used it once and only once. :hungover::yuck::spitoutdummy:

Only use a chimney and compressed sawdust starters now.

I've never noticed any after taste, but its the only way I have done it so far. Definitely quicker than a chimney, but if you notice an after taste, stick with what you do.

I had a gas BBQ, then 8 years ago got Weber Performer charcoal, and as of 3 weeks ago, I am with Pit Boss wood pellets grill. Bought it at Lowes on boxing week, $399. Absolutely FANTASTIC! You can smoke, cook, sear, broil and grill, you name it, all in one. Should have gotten it sooner!

P.S. Still using Weber for cold smoking using maze and pellets

I just put together our new BBQ. Used it for the first time the other day. After wiping everything down and before I fired it up, I sprayed the grill with olive oil. Then I fired it up, let it heat up and while it did it's thing I did mine. Seasoned the steaks with lowry's season salt, keg steak spice, a pinch of onion and garlic powder, a splash of lea and perrins, then smeared a little garlic butter over both sides took em out and put'em on the grill.

I'll second/third/forth an egg. Mine is 15 years old and fantastic. I also run a Green Mountain Grill (pellet fed grill), a Napoleon (from Wardell's) and a little weber. I want to love one more than the Egg, but I can't.
The thing is just that good. If you want to try one out, come on over. I may even have a cold beer for you but stand back 6 feet :)

After initial cleaning.

Seasoning, wipe all the parts food will touch with food grade oil.

Turn it on as per standard seasoning instructions.

After periodic deep cleans, reseason parts that come in contact with food.
Instructions? What's that?

Back