When the boat launches reopen

N8r

I think we all owe it to each other, to keep up with the physical distancing once the boat launches reopen. But the question is how? Do we wait till the party in front of us is clear of the dock before launching our boat? How should we be paying? I'm interested in your thoughts on how we can make this as safe, yet enjoyable as possible. I for one can't wait, I just bought a new boat in Oct 2019 and it went right into winter storage, it's been sitting in my driveway taunting me for 2 weeks now.

My thoughts

1. You call ahead and select your launch time (Similar to golf tee times) Not sure how much time would be needed between launch
2. Email money transfer

Haha... if you have ever been to a busy golf course you will know how this doesn't work as people come late thinking their spot is saved and then they are not ready and insist they will be once its their turn... rarely happens. Not only that the guy with the next time slot might show up before you... where do you stage up all the trucks and trailers before the line? Just line up, leave some space between vehicles and stay close to yours. As far as payment, etransfer takes time to get to the collector so the marina's might not like that, they could spend a bit and have TAP available which is by far the safest way to pay right now, they have even lifted the $100 limit to $200 since Covid. Some ramps have a pay terminal but you do have to touch these things so it would be better if you didn't. Maybe online payment ahead of time so you can put you plate# in etc...
Have sanitizer on your boat and in your vehicle so you can clean up before touch anything.

It could depend on the layout of the launch.They could just let in a couple boats to the ramp at a time.Once they are out of the way,let another in.Ive been at launches that operate like that before this virus hit due to the layout.

E transfer funds. Pre pay minimum 50 feet . Stay in truck until person leave. Wear gloves. BE PATIENT. USE COMMON SENSE. Try to limit amount ( if possible) . Consider once in the water getting a full time dock.. USE OFF times..that could be hard with so many off...your plate number is proff of pre pay. Keep hand sanitizer in boat like above .. all great points.. give lots of space . Be stealthy

The time slot idea I dont think will work. When I run storage we have 15min time slot for every customer. People show up 15min early. and some 45min late. Does not work. Cash in a box i think is a winner. I belive (believe key word here!) the virus dies on a surface after 48? hours? not sure on the exact number. So what we do for storage again is have the customer put the $ in a bag. At days end spread it on a table. Leave for the amount of time then collect and go to bank. I think traditional line up will work best WITH LOTS OF PATIENTS.

l agree with having the exact cash in a drop box as l do not have tap and a debt machine would create alot of people touching the pad. Show up at the ramp just like previous years but keep your distance and only allow one boat at the launch dock. Once that boat is ready to leave for the lake, have the next boat back in to launch...so on and so on. Everyone l am sure would love to get out fishing if we all work together for this to work.

I agree booking a time slot will never work.Boaters waiting to launch at say Port Burwell there is always a lineup,people always run late and traffic varies to get there.What if Marina owners sold a pass that you either showed or put on boat trailer.Then maybe if you bought minnows or ice have a table set up to make transactions from safe distance.

double triple ramps will not be running together and business will have to pay an attendant to monitor situation..Expect to be paying hefty ramp fees because the liabilty
costs alone will kill msny operators

Crystal has a machine you put your charge card in then slip goes on your dash.
One person per boat, that's it, NOT 2 people unless it's your wife or kid that lives with you.
Grimsby was running their launch up to a week ago, to pay you call their office and gave them your charge card number.
Everyone stay in their vehicle till your turn.
If you stay and fish the day 12 hours, you won't have to worry because most guys fish for half days, you won't have to wait getting back on your trailer (y) :D

Last edited:
Afternoon all, hope all is good.
Great post, thought alot about this. Honestly I still hope they stay closed, to soon, not near enough known about spread, virus remaining on touched objects, how long a cough last airborne, never ending list of concerns. IF we are slowing this shit, we can't blow it, were barely into the fishing season, can;t say ramp owner's, do what you want, what you see as ok. All the owners I know would do everything they can to not only survive as a business, but take care of the public as well. Some where, some one, will open up with the its on those who choose to ramp to take the risk, the ramping fee box would swell, all those using will as many of you's favorite term, use common sense, but what about the one that doesn't, and the spread go's on?

Afternoon all, hope all is good.
Great post, thought alot about this. Honestly I still hope they stay closed, to soon, not near enough known about spread, virus remaining on touched objects, how long a cough last airborne, never ending list of concerns. IF we are slowing this shit, we can't blow it, were barely into the fishing season, can;t say ramp owner's, do what you want, what you see as ok. All the owners I know would do everything they can to not only survive as a business, but take care of the public as well. Some where, some one, will open up with the its on those who choose to ramp to take the risk, the ramping fee box would swell, all those using will as many of you's favorite term, use common sense, but what about the one that doesn't, and the spread go's on?
Fair post. But to answer your question..what's about the ones who desnt use common sense at work..or the store..or the gas station or the dog walk or the ???? Like really it has nothing to do with fishing or boat ramps... it's a general term... use common sense...keep distance..use sanitizer..... major manufacturers are going back to work come may 4
This includes the large automotive factories employing 1000s..may 4..start up... is launching your boat after may 4 going to make a difference? You dint need a ramp box.. E transfer ..heck I would e transfer for the whole season to make it easy...

My favourite 2 ramps are Sarnia Bay Marina for early walleye fishing and then Port Glasgow from July until Oct.Both these places I buy season passes,Sarnia you can do it online and they send you your card to leave on your dash Senior price 57 dollars.Its more expensive at Port Glasgow because they don’t give a seniors discount but the 200 dollars I pay is well worth it.They give you a sticker for your boat trailer.That way I’m not fighting with the credit card machine to pay.The good thing about yearly passes is that I fish by myself a lot and by the sounds of it I will be doing this most of the time now.I find that depending on the weather that I easily get my money’s worth in ramp fees at both ramps,I also know this won’t work for everybody because I’m retired now and can go when I want and a lot of guys are weekend fishermen-women and have jobs to go back to.The one thing I know for sure is dock times wouldn’t work for a whole lot of reasons.I think everybody has to remember in these covid times patience is necessary.I know Glasgow can be a zoo sometimes and I really hope they have somebody at the ramps to monitor the in and out procedures.1 boat in 1 boat out, because I can see problems there with social distancing if they don’t have it organized.This is just my opinion on ramps that I use other than my once or twice down to Burwell were I pay my ramp fees and buy minnows to throw out after I’ve fished for those yellow bellied perch that I haven’t been able to find for a couple of years now. Stay safe everybody ?

Season pass pay online, display on dash or maybe even a pre pay till a certain day with expiry dates so guys dont cheat the system, and if you cant pay online you go ONCE and purchase your pass, kind of like the grca pass. Works like a charm imo. sanitizing stations by the parking areas and if it really bothers you wear a mask your gloves just like u would when you go to the grocery store. Just cant wait for some Erie action

This entire thread is a good example of how everyone has a different interpretation of what "common sense" means, and what would be acceptable/unacceptable. A busy launch might have 50-75 boats going through in a day with all extremes of "common sense" opinions, which means a portion of that group is going to be on the "less common sense" side of things.
Something to think about....

This entire thread is a good example of how everyone has a different interpretation of what "common sense" means, and what would be acceptable/unacceptable. A busy launch might have 50-75 boats going through in a day with all extremes of "common sense" opinions, which means a portion of that group is going to be on the "less common sense" side of things.
Something to think about....
Not really.pretty much everyone here said the same things. Pre pay. Display in dash. Keep distance. Sanitizer. Gloves. What is different. Most of these guys know what it means and would have no issue doing it... as for your argument.. there will be some on any situation that would try and abuse it knowingly or unknowingly... this is actually one situation that is pretty easy and safe to regulate. Low risk on the grand scale..I know as most on here I'd feel much safer putting my boat in and going for a cast in the middle of the lake than going to wal mart and standing in line ....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks