Off Topic Trolling motor batterries

@Wave Runner So I took a look at the battery, it is SRM-27 Interstate, the green one. Here is the link... So how do I interpret these numbers?

@vmuravin... The AH stands for amp hours which means a 100 Amp Hour battery will provide 5 amps of current for twenty hours while maintaining a voltage above 10.5 volts. Most trolling motor batteries are in the range of 75-125 AH. A common mistake is made when it is assumed that the 100 AH battery will also provide 100 amps for 1 Hour. It won’t. In fact, a battery of this type may only provide about 40 minutes of continuous 100 amp service at best. This is due to a well known characteristic associated with lead acid batteries. Specifically the capacity will decrease as the rate of discharge increases. Your 27 series batteries are 88 amp hours. In a trolling battery the most important factors are amp hours and reserve capacity not cranking amps so the higher those 2 figures are the better. Your choice of an Interstate is a good one they make dependable batteries. Hope that answers some of your questions. :)

INTERSTATE SMR-27DC MARINE/DEEP CYCLE
Part NumberSRM-27
Cold Cranking Amps600
Cranking Amps750
(RC) Min @ 25 Amp reserve capacity160
Amp Hours88

Yes, thank you very much @Wave Runner . I think I got it. Also, now that I am at work I can open this on desktop :) and finally find this magic number of 88 AH. There is a tab "specifications" that I need to scroll down to get to this magic number, it is not shown on the main page. So these batteries are not bad for what we are using them for... Thanks again. Cheers.

Sorry fellows, I tend to disagree with most of you on a couple points. I've had Interstate batteries in both 24 and 36 volt combinations, as well as starter batteries. In my opinion they suck and have been the worst batteries I've had. Both Delco and Duracells were longer lasting in life span, as well as holding more amp capacity for similar size 27 class batteries. When you're running through weeds in shallow water looking for bass all day, the shortcomings of the batteries will come through.
For the last ten years I only use AGM absorbed glass matt batteries, first 27 class and now in latest boat 31 class. Place a lead acid beside an AGM battery of the same size and weigh them. The lead acid will feel like a toy compared to the 30 to 50% more weight (more lead and more capacity) of the AGM. The four batteries in my boat now are four years old, stay in the boat all winter under a tarp or plastic shrink wrap, with a MinnKota charger onboard plugged in. They have stayed strong as new since purchase.
I buy the batteries in Hamilton at the Acme Battery company as factory seconds with the same guarantee as labelled batteries. Price is usually around $150 each for 31 size. Similar battery with a brand label on it (if that makes you feel better) will cost you approx. $375 and have the same guarantee! I was skeptical when I bought my first ones years ago but now swear by them. The factory second units have minor flaws in the casings, not on the insides, capacity, or performance. They carry 27 and 31 sizes but they sell quickly. I have no connection with Acme battery other than they sell me their product and take my money. I do have one 27 class labelled battery in the garage and will add a picture of it with specs later in the day. The battery was losing power and I replaced it last year with a factory second which ended up also losing power. Had to trace the wiring and found some crossed wires in the livewell wiring that were putting a drain on the battery.

The gasoline at Costco this morning was very low!! 435E3E14-69CE-4D92-96AD-9357F7268348.jpeg :eek: :oops: I filled up my truck,& I spent most of my morning driving around,still looking again,to replace my 3 marine electric trolling motor batteries.While at Costco,I went inside the store after filling up my truck with gasoline,I took another look at the Kirkland batteries that I mentioned before when I was there last week,but I found out today,that they only have the marine batteries in the DC 27 series,440D4BAA-F8C4-4244-9D24-89EA3E00EEF2.jpeg F7D57FFB-31E3-4FE6-80E7-DDDD091D9477.jpeg but not at a bad price & with a reasonable warranty as well.I was hoping to upgrade to the DC 31 series,that’s why I went back to Costco again,to actually talk to someone in person to get more information on this battery.Yesterday,a friend of my wife,told me that Car Quest 3F32B1C4-A765-44C2-BDDB-09672C6A3D3E.jpeg sells marine batteries,which I didn’t know,so I went there this morning as well.Being a ex employee at a car quest,my wives friend,can get me a discount there.I am not to sure about purchasing 3 marine batteries from Car Quest,because of the capacity on their batteries,which are only rated at a reserve capacity of 160.402DD37F-11AF-48F4-9D32-4D809C2FDB44.jpeg 4E7845EC-4A17-4289-932C-AD24005F3E00.jpeg I was told that the higher the number is on the capacity,the better!! So,the search for 3 marine batteries continues for me,but I am leaning more now after searching around this morning,towards buying either the Kirkland or the Deka batteries F19FA456-9781-4535-B22D-3EB143A5B134.jpeg 3825D795-E17E-4D86-A440-A262E2664C5F.jpeg again.The Deka series 27 batteries were originally in my boat when I purchased it & those Deka batteries,lasted me for 7 years!! Here’s hoping that I can find the right marine batteries,so that I can launch my boat soon!! Any updated information would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading & tight lines to all!! ???;)?:cool:

Last edited:
Looks like i.ll have to go with the 27 series also dont think the battery holders are quite big enuff for 31.s. was at proctor marine on weekend and they said they found that they had the best service out of the deka.s also

Looks like i.ll have to go with the 27 series also dont think the battery holders are quite big enuff for 31.s. was at proctor marine on weekend and they said they found that they had the best service out of the deka.s also
Likewise @Alby I will also likely go back to the Deka batteries as well.Unfortunately,the series 31 Deka will not fit in my 3 battery cases either,so the series 27 will replace the old Deka series 27 batteries.It’s good to know,that the Deka batteries had the best service,according to proctor marine,which have been in business for quite a long time.My old Deka batteries have lasted me for 7 years,that’s pretty good,and why change for another brand marine battery.Enjoy your new marine batteries @Alby & thanks for your posting originally,on what marine batteries are best to use for a electric motor. ???

Last edited:
If you have the room go 31. It’s about $30-$40 more per battery. To my understanding there are only 2 or 3 batter mfg in North America. (At least available in canada) interstate. And exide. There is another but I don’t know it’s name. I would like to get Costco ones just because of the easy warranty/exchange program. They usually don’t throw a fuss about anything. But so far I can only find group 24’s and 27’s. I cannot find 31’s. So I will probably be getting it from my local Klassen Auto Parts which is an exide battery.
[/Q. I think that’s the spelling.
The gasoline at Costco this morning was very low!! View attachment 21543 :eek: :oops: I filled up my truck,& I spent most of my morning driving around,still looking again,to replace my 3 marine electric trolling motor batteries.While at Costco,I went inside the store after filling up my truck with gasoline,I took another look at the Kirkland batteries that I mentioned before when I was there last week,but I found out today,that they only have the marine batteries in the DC 27 series,View attachment 21544 View attachment 21537 but not at a bad price & with a reasonable warranty as well.I was hoping to upgrade to the DC 31 series,that’s why I went back to Costco again,to actually talk to someone in person to get more information on this battery.Yesterday,a friend of my wife,told me that Car Quest View attachment 21538 sells marine batteries,which I didn’t know,so I went there this morning as well.Being a ex employee at a car quest,my wives friend,can get me a discount there.I am not to sure about purchasing 3 marine batteries from Car Quest,because of the capacity on their batteries,which are only rated at a reserve capacity of 160.View attachment 21539 View attachment 21540 I was told that the higher the number is on the capacity,the better!! So,the search for 3 marine batteries continues for me,but I am leaning more now after searching around this morning,towards buying either the Kirkland or the Deka batteries View attachment 21541 View attachment 21542 again.The Deka series 27 batteries were originally in my boat when I purchased it & those Deka batteries,lasted me for 7 years!! Here’s hoping that I can find the right marine batteries,so that I can launch my boat soon!! Any updated information would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading & tight lines to all!! ???;)?:cool:
Take a look at Magnacharge in London. Canadian made batteries. This place is new to me but was recommended to me. I have not yet been able to go there as I am self-isolating because I just returned from Florida. My cousin runs those batteries and has no negative issues. Maybe Red Hering can check out the web site and pricing at the store. He is the active shopper!

I was tight for space as well @Fish Farmer but I tossed the undersized battery trays and put the bigger series 31 in battery boxes. I couldn't squeeze in the lids but wanted the larger capacity so just strapped them down and away we go. So far so good. :)

IMG_1636.JPG

Likewise @Alby I will also likely go back to the Delka batteries as well.Unfortunately,the series 31 Delka will not fit in my 3 battery cases either,so the series 27 will replace the old Delka series 27 batteries.It’s good to know,that the Deka batteries had the best service,according to proctor marine,which have been in business for quite a long time.My old Delka batteries have lasted me for 7 years,that’s pretty good,and why change for another brand marine battery.Enjoy your new marine batteries @Alby & thanks for your posting originally,on what marine batteries are best to use for a electric motor. ???
Erich, MinnKota recommends 110 ah deep cycle for their trolling motors. That’s what I am looking for.

So far @Alby it works flawless. It's been tending the 31DC batteries in my boat all winter in my unheated garage keeping them at full charge but not overcharged. These new digital chargers make charging safe without the fear of boil over from overcharging. There's some really good ones made by Marinco (Guest), Minn Kota, Noco Genius and ProMariner etc. so I think you can't go wrong with any of those brands. I have a Noco Genius .75 amp trickle charger I leave on my starting battery all winter as well. :)

Last edited:
Wave Runner, I have a Noco Gen 3 (3x10 amp) on board and it works awesome! Once batteries are charged, she goes into maintenance mode with no fear of over charge. This spring I will be upgrading to a Gen 4 (4x10 amp) as I have 3 house batteries and 1 cranking. A client has a Guest system on her big bugger and it works great as well. So, yes, these 2 brands work very well and are very easy on the wallet!

Thx wave runner tried the 31.s today in the holders on my alumacraft and they fit thx to proctor marine for giving me 1 to try to see if it would fit so will be goin with the 31.s

Thx wave runner tried the 31.s today in the holders on my alumacraft and they fit thx to proctor marine for giving me 1 to try to see if it would fit so will be goin with the 31.s
What kind of prices are the 31’s like, and are you putting the battery’s under the front rod locker by chance? I’m also looking for new trolling motor battery’s for my comp 17’5

Yes cav i am putting them under front storage locker and price was $220 @ proctors

Reactions: Cav
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks