Off Topic Trolling motor batterries

Alby

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Putting a terrova 80 i.pilot 24 v. On my alumacraft 175 there is spots for 2 batterries first time having a trolling motor looking at series 27. Size. What brand do yous reccomend thx in advance for any help

There's many good brands out there but I have been happy with Interstate Marine Deep Cycle batteries over the years. I currently use the SRM-31 series for my trolling motor and supplies all the power I need during a days fishing. Personally never believed the much more expensive AGM batteries warranted the extra expense. Flooded/Wet Cell Batteries properly maintained last just as long if not longer. :)

I used Kirkland deep cycles from Costco in my Lund Alaskan. I was told they're make by Johnston who makes Interstate? Irregardless, they were great batteries at a good price.

I would go group 31 if you can fit them. I have Deka group 27 on mine which works great but will be upsizing batteries when the time comes. I agree With Waverunner on the Agm batteries.

I used Kirkland deep cycles from Costco in my Lund Alaskan. I was told they're make by Johnston who makes Interstate? Irregardless, they were great batteries at a good price.
I read that Costco’s CEO, Craig Jelinek apparently revealed the little-known secret in an interview that the Kirkland Signature batteries are made and supplied to Costco by Duracell. They have many good reviews so are certainly worth consideration also. My friend @Red Hering is also looking into the Kirkland at Costco for 3 new batteries needed for his Minn Kota 101 lb. trolling motor. :)

I have the same motor on my boat, and I have Interstate batteries. No complaints, but again, if you have an onboard charger, you should be fine with pretty much anything. I read somewhere that there is new toy made from lithium, lighter than flood, holds 2x more charge, costs much more but good in the long term... Still went with Interstate. Much cheaper.

Thanx guys for the help hey vmuravin how long of a run time do you get with that setup

If you have the room go 31. It’s about $30-$40 more per battery. To my understanding there are only 2 or 3 batter mfg in North America. (At least available in canada) interstate. And exide. There is another but I don’t know it’s name. I would like to get Costco ones just because of the easy warranty/exchange program. They usually don’t throw a fuss about anything. But so far I can only find group 24’s and 27’s. I cannot find 31’s. So I will probably be getting it from my local Klassen Auto Parts which is an exide battery.

I would agree with DaveJ as well.
I've been running my trolling motor with Kirkland 27 series from costco.
No complaints and the price was great.
Had them for 3 years now.

Putting a terrova 80 i.pilot 24 v. On my alumacraft 175 there is spots for 2 batterries first time having a trolling motor looking at series 27. Size. What brand do yous reccomend thx in advance for any help
A great question @Alby and you beat me to it,for I was also going to ask this question as well to our members,for I am searching to replace my 3 marine batteries at the moment,for my electric Minn Kota Terrova 101 lb. thrust. To answer your question @Alby I have been using the Deka 55C5D612-A754-4200-BD76-F525B03F9165.jpeg A8EE43D5-13E6-40C8-B9CA-6A2D3290F600.jpeg Marine/RV batteries in the DC 27 series.They lasted for 7 years,which I thought was fantastic!! ?? Compared to other batteries that last only under 5 years average.I will likely go with the Deka batteries again,but in the DC 31 series size,if my 3 battery storage space allows this size on my boat.The Kirkland batteries that I saw at Costco back in February,79D93765-2631-4FEE-A323-52CBC09D44BE.jpeg don’t look too bad either,but I need to do more research on those before I am thinking of buying them. @Wave Runner recently has given me some great information on the Kirkland batteries by personal messaging me,and thanks again @Wave Runner??;):) Good luck in your battery search @Alby and enjoy your new Minn Kota electric motor.????:)

Thx red herring picked it up yesterday just gotta install it now my alumacraft has lots of room for the 31 series but may have to change the plastic battery holder not sure yet if its big enough for 31.s to sit in

Thanx guys for the help hey vmuravin how long of a run time do you get with that setup

Well it depends on the USAGE. A complicated answer... If I troll solely on the Terrova, I get a full day of fishing no problem.

I only troll using Terrova only when we are in the cottage or in the inner lake. When I troll Great Lakes, I always "tune" the terrova to run on its lower speed settings 3-5 speed to keep the boat stay in the direction of trolling.

Never had battery run out... yet. You can "guestimate" based on amper-hours of the batteries visavi how you will be using your trolling motor, i.e. how much current you will drain based on anticipated usage. Kinda... Hope this helps. Cheers.

Thx vmuravin i knew it depended on how hard motor was working just was curious on about how long you could get out of a charge

I'm with wave runner...love my interstates! On another note, stay away from Trojan...at least for the time being. They have always been a good brand however, for the past year or so, they have lasted only a few months in our scissor/boom lifts and warranty is an issue! Trojan needs to address this. You don't need to find out your new Trojan(s) is a piece of s#$t in the middle of some body of water. This is my opinion based on what we have been experiencing at the shop.

click on the link Calculating Trolling Motor Battery run time -

You want to find the battery with the largest Amp-hours you can fit in the boat, and the bigger the group # the lead you will have. For a trolling motor only applications such as yours, go deep cycle as opposed to a dual purpose. Dual-purpose will be what you put on the starter / electronics application when its time to replace that one.

Last edited:
Thx vmuravin i knew it depended on how hard motor was working just was curious on about how long you could get out of a charge
I am not sure how good my answer was, but if the maximum current drawn by the motor is something like 52 Amp (I think I read about it somewhere... the recommended fuse is 60 Amp), then you can guestimate based on how you will be using it. You should be fine for a whole day of fishing with 700 AH batteries. One thing I could add, try to avoid running the Terrova on 10th speed for long time.

I had group 27 on my boat only for one season would lose power fast
Replaced it with group 31 and also replaced the wiring from battery to trolling motor with heavy gauge wire
Now I get almost two days on one charge
Also installed a minnkota smart charger inboard just plug it in and no fussing with terminals hook up , leaving my battery in the boat all winter and well with that charger

I am not sure how good my answer was, but if the maximum current drawn by the motor is something like 52 Amp (I think I read about it somewhere... the recommended fuse is 60 Amp), then you can guestimate based on how you will be using it. You should be fine for a whole day of fishing with 700 AH batteries. One thing I could add, try to avoid running the Terrova on 10th speed for long time.
Are you sure you don't you mean 70AH batteries not 700AH? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there's such a thing as 700AH trolling motor battery. I have series 31 which are a pretty big batteries at almost 60 lbs. apiece that are 98AH. The highest I've seen are 4D series that are huge at 112 lbs. that are still only 200AH. I would think a 700AH battery would be the size of your boat and probably outweigh it. LOL!!! ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks