Perch - Hastings - Thursday, July 25th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I had the opportunity to get two of my grandchildren out perch fishing this morning off of Hastings Drive and the perch cooperated. It took them about three hours to fill my cooler leaving some space for ice. Grandpa helped a little but not much. I did however catch a nice walleye on an artificial plastic minnow. The kids were using Jimmy Riggins finest thanks to Jim Malcolm. A few hit the plastic minnow as well. I'm guessing we had over 100 perch.

Good fishing DS. Nice to see the kids enjoying that fishery.

BD

Arn......... I believe I just saw u drive by with Albert ,, was he riding shotgun?
Yeah Doug, Albert was riding shotgun. Actually the boys helped Albert get his limit. When we were ready to leave we counted Albert's fish and he was short 7. He was sitting in the bow and using the front live-well. They gave him a helping hand with the exception of one 12 incher that they squeezed into the cooler.

Guys, I am a bit green but where is Hastings?
Starfish...Hastings Drive is a road that runs on the south side of Long Point. There are no Marina's or public launches, only private properties. Lake Erie on the south side has some pretty impressive ridges and structure that is home to lots of fish, especially perch. Here are the choices you have to access the area. 1. Run around Long Point 2. Launch at Port Burwell and drive about 15-18 miles east. 3. Hire the services of Big Dave's Charters to take you out 4. Get permission from a land owner who has Lake Access and the appropriate property to launch and park your vehicle.

Thanks for the info Duck Soup. Another question, I was fishing for perch almost 2 weeks ago in front of the sand hills. Cuaght 40 nice ones. Do you know if the perch are still there?

Thanks for the info Duck Soup. Another question, I was fishing for perch almost 2 weeks ago in front of the sand hills. Cuaght 40 nice ones. Do you know if the perch are still there?
The anglers I talked to yesterday did not do well off the Sand Hills. That being said I have no idea if they were novices or experienced local anglers. There were a bunch of boats straight off the lighthouse on the west side and I'm pretty sure they were catching a few fish because they were there when we departed and still there when we returned.

Yeah Doug, Albert was riding shotgun. Actually the boys helped Albert get his limit. When we were ready to leave we counted Albert's fish and he was short 7. He was sitting in the bow and using the front live-well. They gave him a helping hand with the exception of one 12 incher that they squeezed into the cooler.
Arn Got talking to Albert this pm & he was gud enough to give me some help with where to go at Hastings,,,We are planning a trip there Wednesday,,, weather permitting,,, & I ask him if u guys r goin then or planning & he said that's a long way off,,& will c when we get closer to that time,,,If u do go,,(we have never been) we would like to follo some1 that's gone there b4....We'l b takin Garys 22 ft er...

Arn Got talking to Albert this pm & he was gud enough to give me some help with where to go at Hastings,,,We are planning a trip there Wednesday,,, weather permitting,,, & I ask him if u guys r goin then or planning & he said that's a long way off,,& will c when we get closer to that time,,,If u do go,,(we have never been) we would like to follo some1 that's gone there b4....We'l b takin Garys 22 ft er...
Doug.....there is really nothing to it. If it's a nice day you will find at least a half dozen pods of boats fishing off of Hastings. You can either join any one of them or use your sonar to find another spot. You will have no problems seeing the perch because there are no weeds for them to hide in. On Thursday all the boats were in about 50 fow, some a little less and some a little deeper. The pods of boats were all at least 1/2 mile apart. Once you anchor you typically have to wait a few minutes for the fish to find you and once they do it is important to keep them under the boat by having bait down there all the time. Another tip is that once you reach the end of the wind turbines you are there. Minimum 15 miles from the east light at Burwell.

Doug.....there is really nothing to it. If it's a nice day you will find at least a half dozen pods of boats fishing off of Hastings. You can either join any one of them or use your sonar to find another spot. You will have no problems seeing the perch because there are no weeds for them to hide in. On Thursday all the boats were in about 50 fow, some a little less and some a little deeper. The pods of boats were all at least 1/2 mile apart. Once you anchor you typically have to wait a few minutes for the fish to find you and once they do it is important to keep them under the boat by having bait down there all the time. Another tip is that once you reach the end of the wind turbines you are there. Minimum 15 miles from the east light at Burwell.
Arn......... That all sounds pretty straight forward,,,Gary wanted me 2 ask,, next ? is how many minnows do u get 4 a party of 4? Thanks 4 all the info,,will report results after the fact......... Now we r planning 4 Thurs according to weather predictions... Thanks again..

Buy lots of minnows, nothing worse than spending all the time, money and effort to get there and run out of bait. Be sure to take a proper anchor and enough rope. On Friday there was a Wellcraft that couldn't get his anchor to hold and did poorly.

Good Luck
BD

Big Dave
Buy lots of minnows, nothing worse than spending all the time, money and effort to get there and run out of bait. Be sure to take a proper anchor and enough rope. On Friday there was a Wellcraft that couldn't get his anchor to hold and did poorly.

Good Luck
BD
Big Dave......... We have a gud anchor & over 100 ft of rope on it,,,when u say lots,,u mean over 4 scoops?

It would depend on how many to a scoop but I would suggest 2 scoops/person, better to throw some away than run out.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks