๐Ÿ‘€ ๐Ÿ’ฐ

No offense but I find that hard to believe Trevor. I make it a point to always ask people fishing off the Glasgow pier or the very odd boat I see anchored fishing for them if they are catching perch. Not one in the last 5 years has said they are catching. I've tried there as I have in Bruce and Stanley on numerous occasions with nada or only 1 or 2 tiny throwback perch at best. I have given up wasting my time fishing for perch in the Central Basin especially with the amount of walleye swimming around. LOL!
How's it going Bob. My last trip out I did see 3 commercial boats setting nets just west of Port in about 30+ feet of water and was wondering what they were setting for.

Okay so it was the commercial guys that were catching them not sport fisherman. Much easier to catch with a net that's for sure. The only thing I can attract on emerald shiners out here is junk fish. If there's perch there I can't catch them the way that has worked ever since I was a kid. When it was good 4 of us could have 50 perch in the boat in 10 minutes. We have caught the grand total of 11 perch since 2017 and only one that was a keeper is that one Darren threw to you on the pier that day. ๐Ÿ˜”

2017 last good year we had.
View attachment 64659
Have you tried these? I have done very well for perch with these when live bait isnโ€™t working. That spiral they do on the drop triggers a ton of bites ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Attachments

• 1196E6AA-9E45-4AA5-BD8C-3B13546FC53E.png
    1196E6AA-9E45-4AA5-BD8C-3B13546FC53E.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 10
Have you tried these? I have done very well for perch with these when live bait isnโ€™t working. That spiral they do on the drop triggers a ton of bites ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Thanks for the reply. No I haven't tried those before. What size and colours work best and what part of Erie do you fish?
I have tried these that in the videos I watched worked really well jigging for perch but again I had zero luck even using them bare or tipped with a piece of minnow. Up until 2018 I just found the mountains of perch on my fish finder, anchored on them, dropped the minnow rigs and filled boat but I can no longer find schools anywhere out here now. Very disappointing how the perch fishery has collapsed.

Thundermist Stingnose
1661788132065.png

Havenโ€™t fished much perch this year other than off the dock at the marina in Dover. Previous years I mostly fished LPB. I have also had good success with these through the ice. That is where I first discovered them, hard water fishing on simcoe when everyone else was getting skunked and I was hitting fish on every drop. You could see them nailing it through the chainsaw hole in the ice whilst turning their noses up at live bait. After that day I quit buying minnows. I have also seen guys using the large ones for jogging lakers in Parry Sound. Very versatile bait. For perch my fav colours are chartreuse and fire tiger. I hope this helps someone bag some fish.

Havenโ€™t fished much perch this year other than off the dock at the marina in Dover. Previous years I mostly fished LPB. I have also had good success with these through the ice. That is where I first discovered them, hard water fishing on simcoe when everyone else was getting skunked and I was hitting fish on every drop. You could see them nailing it through the chainsaw hole in the ice whilst turning their noses up at live bait. After that day I quit buying minnows. I have also seen guys using the large ones for jogging lakers in Parry Sound. Very versatile bait. For perch my fav colours are chartreuse and fire tiger. I hope this helps someone bag some fish.
Well thanks I will keep that under consideration if I can actually find some perch here in the Central Basin of Erie. (y)

Thanks for the reply. No I haven't tried those before. What size and colours work best and what part of Erie do you fish?
I have tried these that in the videos I watched worked really well jigging for perch but again I had zero luck even using them bare or tipped with a piece of minnow. Up until 2018 I just found the mountains of perch on my fish finder, anchored on them, dropped the minnow rigs and filled boat but I can no longer find schools anywhere out here now. Very disappointing how the perch fishery has collapsed.

Thundermist Stingnose
View attachment 64774
Same here @Wave Runner , I tried artificial " soft water fishing " get a few but live minnows rule
In long point bay did good on soft plastic minnow imitation as I got tired of puting minnows on , the plastic lasted dozens of fish
Hard water fishing different stories

Iโ€™ve used them in Port Bruce back in 2016ish
Found I was catching larger perch on them vrs the live minnow
But yah as @Wave Runner mentioned they just arenโ€™t worth the time and effort targeting them in the central basin of Lake Erie anymore.
Thatโ€™s why I go to Long Point for my perch a couple times per year ๐Ÿ‘

Same here @Wave Runner , I tried artificial " soft water fishing " get a few but live minnows rule
In long point bay did good on soft plastic minnow imitation as I got tired of puting minnows on , the plastic lasted dozens of fish
Hard water fishing different stories
This is the only artificial bait Iโ€™ve had decent success with for perch. Live bait definitely has itโ€™s place, especially if you are dead sticking but when they are off the feed, this might be what you need to get a reaction strike.

Iโ€™ve used them in Port Bruce back in 2016ish
Found I was catching larger perch on them vrs the live minnow
But yah as @Wave Runner mentioned they just arenโ€™t worth the time and effort targeting them in the central basin of Lake Erie anymore.
Thatโ€™s why I go to Long Point for my perch a couple times per year ๐Ÿ‘
I agree as well @Derkd9 that Long Point Bay definitely rules for perch,๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š wether itโ€™s during the soft water or the hard water season!! I target perch mostly during those seasonโ€™s,(Fall & Winter- if safe ice). I donโ€™t bother with the perch at all during the summer monthโ€™s. Itโ€™s walleyeโ€™s and rainbow fishing then,out on Lake Erie. @Extra Virgin and I did quite well out of his boat in the Fall,on the inner bay,off the St.Williams & @Collins Harbour & also off the Booths Harbour area. ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Last edited:
This is the only artificial bait Iโ€™ve had decent success with for perch. Live bait definitely has itโ€™s place, especially if you are dead sticking but when they are off the feed, this might be what you need to get a reaction strike.
Thanks for the tip @Merkinbrumsky ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ and any special size or colour patterns that you like to use,when you are using these jigging raps for perch? Thanks in advance & perch ON!! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for the tip @Merkinbrumsky ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ and any special size or colour patterns that you like to use,when you are using these jigging raps for perch? Thanks in advance & perch ON!! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
I like the 1 1/2โ€ & 2โ€ sizes. Chartreuse. & fire tiger are my faves. the bigger ones are fish catchers as well. These things are my go to baits when vertical jigging for just about anything.

I like the 1 1/2โ€ & 2โ€ sizes. Chartreuse. & fire tiger are my faves. the bigger ones are fish catchers as well. These things are my go to baits when vertical jigging for just about anything.
Thanks ๐Ÿ™ @Merkinbrumsky ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ Now you are making me look
through my ice fishing tackle right now,๐Ÿ˜Œ to see if I have any of those!! ๐Ÿง lol ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ Tight lines and Fish ON!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

I'm sure you do! so show us some photos once you have located them lol
when I get home Ill see which ones I have. I think I have a few... but 1 for sure lol
lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿคฃ @Derkd9 ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š once I get some yard work done, I will have a look. Itโ€™s yard waste collection this week in our area,so the jigging rapโ€™s will have to wait!! ๐Ÿฅบ lol ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Ice fishing along Point Bay? I canโ€™t say I had ever heard of this until now. Lol sorry I figured you were far Enough south that would be an option safely.
We spend a lot of time on lake Simcoe and โ€œslab grabbersโ€ have been a really productive lure during the heard water season.
Do any of you ever fish right before freeze up? Usually really good on Simcoe when the perch are putting their feed bag on

They look good @Derkd9 ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚ I still havenโ€™t had a chance to look for mine,but perhaps ๐Ÿค” later. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
I finally had a chance to look at my jigging rapโ€™s @Derkd9 right now,and some jigging rapโ€™s even have wings,(flaps) on them,and they spiral down on the drop to the bottom of the lake etc. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚ Here is my whole collection of other jigging lureโ€™s,mostly made by Rapala. Come on ice fishing season!! Just kidding!! lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 9583E89C-C844-43CE-B1C8-1EFCC3DF87DC.jpeg
    9583E89C-C844-43CE-B1C8-1EFCC3DF87DC.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 19
  • F41697F5-33FE-40BF-96DD-00CDADB38207.jpeg
    F41697F5-33FE-40BF-96DD-00CDADB38207.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 5BDD1C8A-868A-4780-8A78-16495073C542.jpeg
    5BDD1C8A-868A-4780-8A78-16495073C542.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 16
  • AB9502D6-CCE5-4EA1-B015-646AB5EB0EA0.jpeg
    AB9502D6-CCE5-4EA1-B015-646AB5EB0EA0.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5225C899-D594-411A-9057-B8D0B0D406CA.jpeg
    5225C899-D594-411A-9057-B8D0B0D406CA.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 17
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks