Off Topic Windows 10 computers going by-bye

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Just found out they are ending all support for Windows 10 at the end of October 2024. Millions of computers will not be able to upgrade to Windows 11 because they won't support it. Microsoft's answer is to throw out your perfectly working PC and buy a new one with all the new software including Windows 11 version. This is the same mentality of the "Green Nuts" that want you to throw out your perfectly working gas vehicles for an EV. Tons of people not happy about this including myself. (n) :mad:

All the software upgrades and new systems been a scam for years
I especially hate the cloud based storage, why would I pay for something a monthly fee when I can buy a physical unit I can store on at my office
Bunch of crooks out to milk you

October 14, 2025

There are also non-official ways of putting Windows 11 on a technically unsupported PC.

Also many of these machines can live long, healthy second lives running Linux.

why would I pay for something a monthly fee when I can buy a physical unit I can store on at my office
Bunch of crooks out to milk you
Subscription models for hardware (known as Hardware as a service or HaaS) is here and picking up steam.

To answer your question, because they make you if you want to use their product.

Subscription models for hardware (known as Hardware as a service or HaaS) is here and picking up steam.

To answer your question, because they make you if you want to use their product.
Lol they sure tried
My wife just switched to a different accounting software for my business that gave the option
I told her if that's what's it coming to we are going back to the good old ledger book

I'm running 8.1 still, and when I picked up the little card to renew my Office stuff, when I got it home the computer told me for it to work I had to upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I took it back and got my money back since I can't afford to get the upgrade to windows 10 or 11. While I was in Staples near home a couple weeks ago I asked their "PC expert" what his recommendations were and he told me "in all honesty, I'd just get a new tower with everything already on it because they're going to be discontinuing support for Windows 10 soon too." Good news was to get a new tower will only run me $500 after taxes, bad news is I DON'T have $500 to spend on a new tower. Then he sold me a $20 128GB memory stick so I could put all the pictures, music and other files I want to keep on it for when I can eventually afford that new tower with the newest operating system already installed.

BTW. My office stuff IS working just like it always has (at least for now) despite not upgrading to a newer operating system or downloading what they wanted me to download for it to operate properly with Windows 10 which I have NOT upgraded too.

I'm running 8.1 still
Windows 8.1 support ended on January 10, 2023. Your stuff will be working just as it always has until a new virus that exploits a vulnerability that isn't patched for Win 8.1 comes out and encrypts all your data and holds it for ransom, sends all your sensitive data to the attackers to use to steal your identity, and uses your PC as a bot to attack others.

Running operating systems past end of life is bad news, it's not a marketing gimmick. You can get refurbished business machines for a couple hundred bucks with Windows 11 on them.

Refurb.io is great. Every machine I've seen from there is nearly new.

it's not a marketing gimmick
Remember, I'm on a disability pension which means a very set income. (and low one at that) I don't have that kind of money. It's not an issue of whether or not I think it's a gimmick. It's an issue of my bank account says not possible (at least right now) to update, buy new, or get one that's been refurbished and it's almost a certainty that they aren't going to put anything on sale that I can afford right now.

Never liked Windows 10 anyways and doubt Windows 11 will be any better. I have a 7 year old ASUS laptop, is it upgradeable ? Would hate to have to lay out another 700 bucks as like Trevor I'm on a fixed income too.

And what the heck are they doing to Outlook ? Their new version is crap too !

You can find out if your PC is compatible to upgrade to Windows 11 by running their check. My PC is 12 years old and is not compatible.

The guy at Staples told me mine couldn't be upgraded. He was right. It wants me to update to at least Windows 10 before I can put Windows 11 on it and the guy at Staples told me that it wouldn't be worth the money I'd spend and I'd be better off getting a new tower with Windows 11 already installed.

My computer is 10 yrs old. Of course people have occasionally called telling me it's about to crash since 3 months after we bought it when I went back to college right after I got hurt and that for a fee they could help me "fix" it. I strung one along for about 45 minutes one day with the computer off before telling him I didn't own a computer. He called me some very nice things and then hung up on me. Wasn't my fault he woke me up and pissed me off. He got me in a bad mood, so I "played" a little. ;)

When I moved into this house I had four kids in school up to and in university. My brother and I installed a wired network the day we moved in so that they all had access to a PC with no waiting. LoL

Server was windows NT and all the PCs (4) ran on XP Pro.

Now THAT is old. 😱🤯😁🌻

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 support ended on January 10, 2023. Your stuff will be working just as it always has until a new virus that exploits a vulnerability that isn't patched for Win 8.1 comes out and encrypts all your data and holds it for ransom, sends all your sensitive data to the attackers to use to steal your identity, and uses your PC as a bot to attack others.

Running operating systems past end of life is bad news, it's not a marketing gimmick. You can get refurbished business machines for a couple hundred bucks with Windows 11 on them.

Refurb.io is great. Every machine I've seen from there is nearly new.

PC OPTIONS in Woodstock have been in business for easily 25 - 30+ years selling new and used up graded computers. They are also a full service shop.

My last 3-4 computers dating back to Windows 7 days have all been used business computers from them ... there is no possible way I could be happier.

Viruses yes are a problem at the best of times but, it takes a lot of time and effort to create them. And those that create them want to get the most negative impact for their efforts.

Yes older software is not supported but "most" people and businesses upgrade as technology changes. Because of that hackers as per nature do not waste their time and effort to create viruses that effects very few.

It takes very little time when you buy malware from an organized hacker ring. Those will typically be targeted towards organizations that will pay, like school boards, hospitals, City of Hamilton.... but sometimes a worm that exploits a vulnerability well get out in the wild and just run amok. That's what WannaCry did in 2017.

I do this for a living (on the good guy side, not the hacker/virus creator side.)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks