White Hominy?🤷‍♀️

Mrs. Stomp

Staff member
Last summer when @stomp and I were driving through Aylmer, we stopped at Mennomex for a few supplies and I picked up a can of White Hominy for something different. Today I've decided to put it use and not sure what to do with it yet. I'm planning to make Tostadas, Burritos, Tomatillo Salsa and Guac tonight along with the Hominy, assuming it will go with the rest.

Any suggestions?

We make something vary similer if not the same as hominy . It's know as "Lyed corn" around here. You take dried white corn kernels and boil it for 10-15mins then add a few cups of hardwood ashes(natural lye) to the kernels&water . It will instantly turn the kernels orange. Boil that till the the orange skin starts to peel and fall off the kernels . Rinse it with clean water then bring to a boil then rinse again. Then boil till the kernels swell and crack open. Rinse again. Kernels should be puffed pure white when done..like hominy.

Once the corn is "lyed" We make a soup with it that is commonly called "corn soup" which cantains kidney beans and either pork shoulder,salt pork or becon square( jawl bacon) cut into small cubes.

The other common dish(side dish) around here is just simply frying the lyed kernels whole in butter or margarine till it starts to brown. Hit it with a little salt&pepper ready to serve. Or with little splash of REAL MAPLE syrup.

I have no idea what other dish could be made of it but that's what is done with such corn around here.

I'm pretty sure "grits" are made from hominy corn as well.

Looks like I'm going need to get more hominy to make the soup. I didn't have the rest of the ingredients handy so opted for hominy baked with tomatoes, onions, garlic, chili pepper and grated cheese on top. 2 of us liked it, 1 didn't and 2 didn't attempt it. Thanks for your suggestions!
1614560396623.png

I haven't had hominy in years but we traveled to Florida in the late 50's and early 60's.
Hominy was also known as "Grits" a staple served with breakfast in the south like home fires here.
Butter, salt and pepper.
Mom always brought home boxes of it.
She made little cakes with left overs.

Grits are a porridge made from boiled cornmeal. Hominy grits are a type of grits made from hominy – corn that has been treated with an alkali in a process called nixtamalization, with the pericarp removed. Grits are often served with other flavorings as a breakfast dish. Wikipedia

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks