Where do fish go

Slowtrull

This is my first season fishing Lake Erie. The fishing has been great when the lets me fish it ! Sadly I'm still a weekend warrior lol. Wondered? (typically) when water temps start to fall where do go?

Typically they move deeper until water starts cooling (September) at which point they move shallower again and slowly toward spawning grounds. As for exact locations, that's somewhat of a mystery, but the GLATOS program launched in 2010 sheds some light on that.

Interesting discussion actually, I remember some old-timers arguing about whether walleye start "staging" the spawning grounds before winter. Some guys said they do, others said they don't. Well, GLATOS proved that walleye certainly do start showing up in spawning grounds as early as September (although not in large numbers). I'm curious whether the fish are there to stage, or they just happen to be swimming around...

Thanks For feed back. Maybe my next purchase could be a mini sub follow them around below the waves!

As far as I know they head to USA waters.Ohio has great fall fishing for walleye.

most head to western basin on both sides.lots of shoals on both sides.then they run the rivers early winter alot and stage also just of shore till spring.theres always some fish just at start of thames river ice fishing,mid jan and all febuary.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks