Walker Electric Downrigger Repair

Jwalsh

One of my down-riggers is not working properly, it will not bring the ball up anymore, i have to crank it up manually. Batteries still have power and connection is fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this problem? Or does anyone know of someone that services/or has parts for walkers in the area?

Thanks.

One of my down-riggers is not working properly, it will not bring the ball up anymore, i have to crank it up manually. Batteries still have power and connection is fine.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this problem? Or does anyone know of someone that services/or has parts for walkers in the area?

Thanks.

When the up switch is on does anything turn on the unit at aLL ..Does it go down...maybe the clutch is not engaging...

When the up switch is on does anything turn on the unit at aLL ..Does it go down...maybe the clutch is not engaging...
It still goes down, slower the usual though. At first when the up switch was on, it was cranking it up very slowly, then it stopped all completely, which is when I have to manually crank it up. That's why I initially thought it might be the battery, but the batteries are both showing power.

It still goes down, slower the usual though. At first when the up switch was on, it was cranking it up very slowly, then it stopped all completely, which is when I have to manually crank it up. That's why I initially thought it might be the battery, but the batteries are both showing power.
I have 4 of those units , all are 10-14 years old and starting to show wear and tear.
Recently had to replace some pulleys . The cheapest and best place for parts and /or service is Shortwave Marine in Port Credit as petersaban mentioned earlier. You can also order from the USA , but it will take longer and cost twice as much.
Hard to say without seeing the unit but sounds like a motor failure to me.
Don't rule out a bad power cable either.

Actually .pickeralpete....that's a good point...the connection between the battery and the cable could be the culprit...needs to be nice and shiny and be the bottom of the battery post...

I've own the walker "TOURNAMENT COMBO PACK - AWR" series for 8-years now and have had the same issue with both. Each time I've had to replace the "Auto Stop" that is set up on the automatic weight retriever system.

what you could do is check wiring harness with voltmeter make sure you have 12v at rigger there may be green death in wire causing power loss and creating heat which is not good ether

Walkers were in Stayner Ontario. Last time I had mine looked at they did it while I waited.
In Canada
Walker Downriggers Inc.
209 Side St., Box 300
Stayner Ontario, L0M1S0

PH (705) 428- 4428.

Ok, I will take another look at the wiring and the connections, if that all seems fine to me, i'll check the auto stop next, and if that seems fine, i guess ill have to take it into one of those shops listed.

Thank you for all the helpful replies.

Lucky for me, the majority of my fish have been coming off the leadcore/dipseys this summer so being down a rigger ins't the end of the world.

Did not know they were sold... When I had mine serviced it was about 5-6 years ago and drove right to the place.
But on their website it still lists Stayner as a Canadian contact... Best to call and find out.

Heres a number you can try...705-322-6776...Ask for James....He is a techie for Walker Riggers...He used to be in Stayner...now he is in Moonstone area..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks