VHF question

Hunter96

I'm new to fishing Lake Erie and was wondering about the use of vhf radios? Hand held or mount and what make and model you use? Also do we need to take a course before I can use it legally?
I am looking to buy one for my 1750 rebel Lund before I go out of port burwell and just wanted your thought on it.
Thanks to all!

Hi Hunter 96 A vhf radio is a must if you are going out on the greatlakes.I personally have a mounted one with a 6ft antenna better distance I believe. My vhf came with the boat,the newer models have more features like a red button that the cost guard can get exact location of your vessel. It is recommended to take a course through the power sail squadron in your area.

I will look into the course. I'm not sure if I want to go with a mount or hand held. From what I understand the taller the antenna the longer the reception because of the line if sight on the horizon.
Hoping guys will chim in on hand held as well if they use them

I use a mounted unit as well I'm sure a hand held unit will work fine and allow you to talk and listen to guys around you the mounted units give you more range but rarely do I ever talk to anyone to far away lol so if you allready own a hand held I'd try it

You're required by law to get a ROC-M operators certificate through the Canadian Power Squadron to operate the radio but I'm sure the vast majority of people do not get one. You do not require a Station License if you are operating a pleasure craft in Canadian waters but you do need one if operating it in US waters. There is a course coming up in June in Port Dover, here is the link:

http://www.boatingcourses.ca/course-descriptions/maritime-radio-0

If you are counting on using it in an emergency, it only makes sense to know how to use it properly which is what the course is about. I have a hand held and a mounted unit and the mounted units range is vastly superior.

Last edited:
I was in the same 'boat' last year being new to lake erie fishing. I bought a handheld unit and it worked perfectly for me. Fishing out of Burwell I never had an issue with range. Here is a link to the one I bought.

standard horizon HX851

Good luck….lots to choose from.

Remember that the distress button on a mounted radio must either have built in GPS or has to be hooked into your GPS in order for coast guard to locate your distress signal.

I just finished the course, well worth it!
As for a handheld or a mounted one depends on the range you would like to get. The mounted ones are typically 25 watts which will give you 25NM the handhelds are around 5 watts giving you 5NM. I went with a mounted unit, the extra range could be the difference some day. Also spend the extra and get one with a built in GPS well worth the bit extra.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

RT

If you can afford both I highly recommended that way. You can have your mounted unit on channel 16 and the hand held on the other channels as by law you are always suppose to be listening on channel 16. As RT said, get one with the GPS builtin and register your mmsi. The course is well worth it and the small amount of time it takes to do the course. Knowing and understanding the laws with operating a VHF is well worth it. For the guys who have never taken the course, the fines can be quite high and remember if your licensed or not, if you have a vhf on board, you need to respond to a distress call in your area as long as you can safely do so.

Just my 2 cents.

Take the course--it teaches you how to use the radio and the important call codes PROPERLY!! I find it a bit frustrating listening to people who think the channels are for private gab sessions and have no idea about VHS use and etiquette.

I believe you can still take the course online thru Sheridan College for those that can't travel or your Power Sq is too far away.

yep get yourself a VHF...I have a fixed midland unit with a 9 ft whip. I also have 2 handheld VHF units. Great for local weather and marine reports with current lake conditions. I keep one VHF right in the house and turn it on to monitor the weather before heading out.
Taking your cell phone is another great source of communication out on the lake too.

I sure hope we can go through this boating/fishing season with no fatalities.

Don't waste your money on the handheld... Get the simplest one with a 8' antenna and your set... Go see the lads at Proctor Marine in Simcoe... Great selection and can install it properly... *16 on your cellphone is coast guard contact as well...

I use the 3 foot folding steel antenna on my 16. Yes I give up a bit of range but I mostly listen not talk. Way more durable on a boat that see's a lot of road time and still fits under my travel cover. Was able to talk to Sarnia CG from 12 miles south of Burpwell just fine. Take the course.

the red distress button on the newer radios doesn't automatically work.You have to register your boat and your self in a office in the london court house. they give you a 6-7 digit # to down load into your radio.If i hit that button on my boat the coast guard know who i am have description ove boat and my location and can call me directly on my radio.

the red distress button on the newer radios doesn't automatically work.You have to register your boat and your self in a office in the london court house. they give you a 6-7 digit # to down load into your radio.If i hit that button on my boat the coast guard know who i am have description ove boat and my location and can call me directly on my radio.

You can also apply for your MMSI number by fax or e-mail using the application form on this webpage:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf08138.html

Just of note though, if your radio has already has an MMSI number programmed into it, it cannot be changed to a new one (at least not without some factory tech help anyway). Not sure why that is but almost all of them are set up that way now.

Agreed @G.Mech what you can do is transfer the number into your name if the radio already has a MMSI #. It would be a good idea to as the information on it will not be yours.

RT

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks