Venison/moose bacon

DaveJ

Anyone try venison bacon?
I have a ton of venison and moose burg, so tried making bacon..lots of recipes online but basic..
5 lbs mixed venison/moose burg
2 lbs pork ground shoulder
curing salt
spices..I used hickory spice from Princess Auto jerky package

Mix meat well with curing salt, spices.
Form in baking dishes lined with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight to set up.
Flip formed loafs onto smoking grates. Into the smoker at 180F until internal is 150-155F..around 4 hours. I basted mine for the last hour with maple syrup for some sweetness.
Remove, into the fridge overnight to cool.
Next day, slice thin, fry like regular bacon, although you could eat as is as its cooked.
Excellent way to use up some burger!!!

venison bacon1.jpgvenison bacon 2.jpgvenison bacon 3.jpgvenison bacon 4.jpgvenison bacon 5.jpgvenison bacon 6.jpgvenison bacon 7.jpg

very inventive and looks great too. Could be turkey Bacon by the look of it. Sure it tasted great too.

I am "old school" and the only "bacon" I know comes from a pig. No doubt that anything made with venison or moose and a bit of pig fat is going to be delicious but it's not bacon. That's like calling a Walleye a Pickerel !!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks