Valentines Day report

trky chsr

Went to my secret spot west of the lighthouse by the pressure crack and thought I was going to have a great day. Had the line in the water by 8 and had 3 keepers on ice by 8:20. Too bad that was it though. I caught about 6 small ones and saw 3 nice Bass. I also saw a monster pike when I moved closer to shore. I was only there an hour as it was very weedy. When the pike came and went and no perch showed up I moved back to my original spot until 12:30. This was my 5th trip in the morning (I still have 12 minnows left from my original scoop) so next week I'll try in the afternoon. TC

I expect the fishing picks up on the bay, it can't get any worse. I always wondered why I've never had or even hear about Bass being caught on the ice? I know they go into some type of hibernation. Anyone catch a bass in the winter?

Thanks for the report. Maybe a mid day bite. Reading reports and talking on the ice the composite suggests about 11:00 to 15:00.

WtP. I caught one Bass about 5 years ago and a Musky about 20 years ago through the ice. Both were a surprise.

Good luck this weekend.

Cheers, Clark

I expect the fishing picks up on the bay, it can't get any worse. I always wondered why I've never had or even hear about Bass being caught on the ice? I know they go into some type of hibernation. Anyone catch a bass in the winter?

I've caught bass before, mostly in front of Akers when we had access there. In case anyone is tempted though I had a visit from our friendly neighbourhood CO when I was out there and yes he did check my bucket! TC

I've caught bass before, mostly in front of Akers when we had access there. In case anyone is tempted though I had a visit from our friendly neighbourhood CO when I was out there and yes he did check my bucket! TC

I'm a bit surprised, but then again I haven't really hit the ice for years but never saw one when we did go out as often as possible. Did a lot of ice fishing on Nippissing when the in laws had a place in Calendar Bay. We had a hut out there for years.

As far as having a bass in the bucket or in the livewell I've very seldom kept a bass. Just my preference not to. Occasionally a deeply hooked smaller 1 pounder will swallow a bait deep. Then it becomes a perch burger because many don't believe bass are good for the table. Those small "greenies" are very good, from the lake to the pan on the same day. There is a guy I know that comes to my place and will keep 6 greenies, they are about 12 to 14 inches. It might take him 30 minutes to find them and 30 minutes to catch them on I'm not saying. I don't own the water so he is more than welcome. He let's all the hogs back to breed more hogs. Many say it's the large fish that have the genes to produce big fish. The way I look at it how do you know the small fish someone kept wasn't the next Provincial or world record fish?

I'm a bit surprised, but then again I haven't really hit the ice for years but never saw one when we did go out as often as possible. Did a lot of ice fishing on Nippissing when the in laws had a place in Calendar Bay. We had a hut out there for years.

As far as having a bass in the bucket or in the livewell I've very seldom kept a bass. Just my preference not to. Occasionally a deeply hooked smaller 1 pounder will swallow a bait deep. Then it becomes a perch burger because many don't believe bass are good for the table. Those small "greenies" are very good, from the lake to the pan on the same day. There is a guy I know that comes to my place and will keep 6 greenies, they are about 12 to 14 inches. It might take him 30 minutes to find them and 30 minutes to catch them on I'm not saying. I don't own the water so he is more than welcome. He let's all the hogs back to breed more hogs. Many say it's the large fish that have the genes to produce big fish. The way I look at it how do you know the small fish someone kept wasn't the next Provincial or world record fish?

cause it s in my belly. LOL from time to time Ive caught smallies out of st Williams. even my daughter caught a couple way back when she was 5. it s to bad you couldn t keep a couple during the ice season I bet they would be a lot tastier than in the warm season

Back