Update - Smoker Blanket & Port Curtains

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
finally got around to smoking some turkey drums, needed it cold enough to use blanket. Instructions say should be below 40F to use blanket.

Start up time from 30 F to 225 F was just 5-6 minuets, mind you it is only a smaller Traeger Tailgater. Temperature was held within 10 degrees up or down with is more consistent than using no blanket in the summer. Pellet consumption was minimal, better efficiency than in summer. Would recommend to anyone doing outdoor smoking in winter.

The port curtains and track are from AGO in London. We leave curtain in place year round, close at night or rain(snow) and open during the day as required. Used to have just canvas tarp as curtain but too dark inside and a little mold because it is North facing.

Port has outdoor heating and A/C, T.V, Sonos speakers and ceiling fan and all work well all winter (knock on wood) .

Turkey was just a Traeger chicken dry rub, turned out great and the meat was very moist.

If anyone needs more detail on the blanket, curtain or port just let me know.

1704205039122.png
1704205057942.png
1704205072695.png
1704205089969.png

1704205101026.png
1704205147258.png
1704205163681.png

1704205210006.png

1704205264327.png

Looking good pal, I too used my Amazon insulated coat for the pit boss and I experienced similar results. Pellet use was pretty moderate and I found it got to temp pretty quick. I actually used it screaming hot the other day to sear some some short ribs before oven finishing them and it heated to max fairly quickly in my opinion. I’m also doing it outdoors with no cover. Time will tell but so far I’m happy! I think it was you that turned me on to them so thanks!

happy it worked for you, when I smoked, the blanket didn't get hot or even warm at all during smoking.

I have to admit I missed my enclosure when cooking this year's Christmas turkey.

Fortunately the day was mild but there was wind.

My enclosure was completely still inside and I'll have to compensate for that during this winter. 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks