Turtle advice??

can't miss

I have a medium to large sized snapping turtle living in our pond, it's been there a few yrs now. It's the only one, and it's really no problem, except?
Do they eat many live minnow's, or mostly carrion? Problem being, I get my bait minnow's from the pond, there are ton's of them, but they're getting harder to trap, I think it stalk's my minnow trap when I set it. There has never been a problem getting all the minnow's I need in one set, now it take's for-ever to get a couple dozen?? The turtle is kinda cool to see, but if he's cutting into my bait $$, he may have to relocate.
Any thought's??

They will eat minnows, fish, frogs, ducks, anything they can grab. I wouldn't doubt they could consume a lot of minnows very quickly. I used to feed our leftover minnows to the kids pet turtles (red eared sliders) and they would eat 2 dozen or so in a matter of minutes. Snappers aren't easy to get rid of either. We netted a whole bunch of them when were draining a stormwater pond in Guelph a few years ago and moved them to another pond 2 miles away. The next year, they all came marching back across the field like an army. Apparently, they will travel long distances overland to return to their traditional nesting sites.

Last edited:
I have a medium to large sized snapping turtle living in our pond, it's been there a few yrs now. It's the only one, and it's really no problem, except?
Do they eat many live minnow's, or mostly carrion? Problem being, I get my bait minnow's from the pond, there are ton's of them, but they're getting harder to trap, I think it stalk's my minnow trap when I set it. There has never been a problem getting all the minnow's I need in one set, now it take's for-ever to get a couple dozen?? The turtle is kinda cool to see, but if he's cutting into my bait $$, he may have to relocate.
Any thought's??

Soups On!

They are good to eat if it's of a decent size. There is a season on them when you can harvest them. If you need it gone, I would take it!

try using cat food in your minnow traps.(dog food also works well, but takes longer to dissolve) ......if you don't have a full trap over nite....then your either have low minnow population or tooo much plankton or food sources for them........turtle traps are easy to make....wire mesh and Pvc pipe...check Utube..sure some type of plans on there.

Back