Today at Nanticoke...

icefisherman

Nice day...first walleye trip for the season...got tired of the disaster season on lake O. so lake Erie here we come....
Listening the radio and now reading other posts it seems we did very good...ended up 13/18...with about 8 silvers and 2 farm animals...not bad at all....it is been number of years since I last fished these waters but as long as the fish is there this may not be the last visit....
Took Paul's kind invite and joined him with the boys for the morning.
Did best in 55-60 fow down 35-40 feet....got one quadruple header...landed three lost the forth...good thing the boys were helping...riggers were useless....dipsies....jet divers, leadcore and flatlines on the boards all got us fish....
Saw lots of boats out...heard many on the radio....most were struggling with 2-3 fish in the box...
Paul's boat and Paul himself seem to find eyes pretty good ...Burwell or Nanticoke...didn't seem to matter....
anyhow....few shots from today...

20150724_101832_resized_zps5drfkjit.jpg

20150724_120647_resized_zpsfn0mdgbj.jpg

20150724_124327_resized_zpsvbvb1cav.jpg

20150724_142834_resized_zpsh57briho.jpg

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Very nice catch icefisherman!! Yours boys must have had a blast catching walleye that size!!! What kind of lures were you using or colours???

You did far better than the 2 boats that I know that went out. 4 amongst the 5 of them. Those boys sure had a great day with the old guy for sure. When is the fish fry? I'll bring the Panko. It looks like they were fishing to shallow. 5 or 6 colours. We haven't got anything but silvers or Bahhhs on riggers this year. I don't even bring mine out, if and when I ever get out there. Those silvers you caught are sweet if eaten by tomorrow at the latest. Frozen or 3 days and they get really fishy for my taste.

Great day out! Your boys are lucky....most people never get a chance to catch hogs like that....well done.

just curious what baits and colours are you guys running to catch the walleye down at that end of the lake...this season I been catching all my pics in the west here on lead core with blue and silver body baits...switched over to deep divers same colours off the inline planers with a limit of pics on thursday am

Worm harnesses of pretty well any colour were the ticket. Purple/black, blueberry muffin, green and white all took fish.

Blue and Chrome Ripplin Red fin on bright days and bright harnesses. Overcast and it seems to be darker RRF and Purple on brown Reef Runners.

Its a lucky day when the walleye are in a spot thick and they out number the junk fish..then you can get away with using worms ...couple weeks ago i was catchin a few walleyes per outing offshore in the 57 to 59 fow using the blue and silver ripplin redfins on ten colour lead core, but could not keep the numerous silver bass off my bait!!! With the cold front and cool water temps last week, I have now moved inshore to a new location in 28 fow with a large area size reef coming up to 17 to 21 fow and a couple humps on that at 12 feet. I also have switched over to the bigger deep divers specifically the largest reef runner (4 3/8') and have eliminated the silver bass nuisance...i am bumping up the trolling speed here and there and making more turns to connect with walleye...and trying hard to keep the numerous sheephead off.. that are there as well... it seemed to have worked on thursdays catch of 6 pics and only 2 sheephead & yep.. 1 silver bass....I know i am getting older as I have zero patience for junk fish.. especially sheephead....I have taken worms out on every trip on erie this season, but have yet to have the urge to use them. for one thing there just a little more work, but i now dam well the odds are in favor of catching more junk. The ultimate worst for me is reeling in your ten colours of leadcore to have a junkfish on the bitter end..of it. I must be having junkfish nightmares or i could have that junkfish phobie...

Last edited:
Hey @WhatsthePoint.. thumbs up for the reef runners! Yea when I was out and about last week getting my deep diving blue and silver reef runners and taildancers I seen some darker colours in purple/black and a brownish/copper and orange in the reef runners..They are also $4.00 cheaper and were catchin more walleye then my best blue and silver taildancer that caught me 4 pics just out of the package...the only way i shut down the sheephead that turned on mid friday mornin after catchin my walleyes was to pull my lines and move or pack it in..well that was enough for me!

Last edited:
Its a lucky day when the walleye are in a spot thick and they out number the junk fish..then you can get away with using worms ...couple weeks ago i was catchin a few walleyes per outing offshore in the 57 to 59 fow using the blue and silver ripplin redfins on ten colour lead core, but could not keep the numerous silver bass off my bait!!! With the cold front and cool water temps last week, I have now moved inshore to a new location in 28 fow with a large area size reef coming up to 17 to 21 fow and a couple humps on that at 12 feet. I also have switched over to the bigger deep divers specifically the largest reef runner (4 3/8') and have eliminated the silver bass nuisance...i am bumping up the trolling speed here and there and making more turns to connect with walleye...and trying hard to keep the numerous sheephead off.. that are there as well... it seemed to have worked on thursdays catch of 6 pics and only 2 sheephead & yep.. 1 silver bass....I know i am getting older as I have zero patience for junk fish.. especially sheephead....I have taken worms out on every trip on erie this season, but have yet to have the urge to use them. for one thing there just a little more work, but i now dam well the odds are in favor of catching more junk. The ultimate worst for me is reeling in your ten colours of leadcore to have a junkfish on the bitter end..of it. I must be having junkfish nightmares or i could have that junkfish phobie...

Oh come on Mick, be proud, take a pic of a sheephead and post it in the Sheephead thread....:) It's all part of the fun.

Hey there @G.Mech...Absolutely I can be proud... but never to be embarrassed...but then I have the perfect excuse...I am fishin solo this season and I also practice catch and release...with certain species of course... like your typical lake erie junkfish... you know...BTW hows your fishin season goin..its been challengly slow out here for most of us and making it a little less entertaining... anyway i can finally say i boxed a limit of 6 pics thursday, makin it a little more sweeter...where did hookin a 20+ fish in a good half a day go... well it is either go way west like normal or for some reason...go east...which is extremely unusual

Last edited:
Hey there @G.Mech...BTW hows your fishin season goin..its been challengly slow out here for most of us and making it a little less entertaining... anyway i can finally say i boxed a limit of 6 pics thursday, makin it a little more sweeter...where did hookin a 20+ fish in a good half a day go... well it is either go way west like normal or for some reason...go east...which is extremely unusual

Well this year certainly has been a strange one so far. We did our usual Spring runs to Detroit, Colchester & Leamington with great results and lots of limits . I also managed to squeeze in a day of Marlin fishing in Hawaii in June (now that is waaaaay West). We did enough trips to Hastings to keep us in perch for the winter already so I think I'm done with those. I usually do few runs to Glasgow before the action picks up in Burwell but didn't end up going this year with the slow start and continued slow reports. Instead, I have been out to Nanticoke lots which I haven't done for a few years. It is close to home for me and really a nice change with good fish and very few junkers. Been out solo quite a bit and done lots of experimenting with some different stuff to kill some time. The fish have been pretty cooperative too with lots of larger fish boated and released and a few sent home with guests.

Hopefully things pick up in the Western and Central basins soon too and things can get back to normal.

Here's a few from Nanticoke last week:

IMG_20150712_093257%201_zpsyojdecna.jpg
IMG_20150712_093257%201_zpsyojdecna.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry for hijacking your thread Emil (@icefisherman).....great job on the fish. The boys have grown a ton since we were out, we'll have to do it again soon!

Last edited:
Nice catches and great report there G.Mech...I am usually on the move to with the fishin...i have 2 boats and like to mix up my locations...nice to hear you like marlin fishin...i also have done alot of bill fishin over the years for marlin and sailfish and other salt water game fish.. I have been to many different locations throughout the pacific and caribbean and go south every winter...cabo san lucas is one of my favorites...anyway i could write a book about my world travels...i better end it here...good luck on the rest of your fishin season and thanks for sharing...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks