THOUGHTS ON A 20 GAUGE FOR TURKEY

Gunner_1

Any thought about a 20 gauge for turkey do you think it would be good
for the job or no im not sure never used one before thank for your input

No just thought i might try something different a buddy might be selling his
and the price is right so was just getting input as i said never shot one.
Thanks paddle maker i will definitely be doing all that

20 guage would definitely do the job Mike (depending on the yardage mind you) but if it was me, I'd stick in some Hevi-shot turkey loads just for some extra security!
Personally I prefer 12 guage 3 1/2"
I'm not really interested in preserving the head anyways!;)

Thats true sound more trouble then it's worth.Thanks guys i think i just made up my mind
stick to the 12 guage it's never let me down rather it's waterfowl or turkey i owe it more
than it owes me thanks again

A 20 gauge putting 10 pellets in a birds head and neck will have the same out come as a 12. The speeds are generally the same just less shot. , which in results is the same energy down range per pellet. 20s have tend to pattern tighter then a 12 in my experience if you spend the time get a good choke and loads. Ive seen muliply toms drop in there track at the 40 yard range with 20s.
you dont see many 10s getting used for turkey, most go to a 12, the people i know that go from a 12 to a 20 never go back.
Know guys that are starting to use them for ducks and really like them also

I thought about it after my last post i am going to get the gun
it's a nice gun light and it comes with the chokes .THANKS Donald86

Get comfy with it so you don't have to go chasing after a wounded bird. That is probably a lot of trouble.

Ya for sure HTHM will be doing that the last thing i wan't is to wound a bird
the price is right and i will shoot it this summer and if it's not comfy i won't
use it for turkey.

A 20 gauge will work fine for turkeys or waterfowl. Pattern it with your hunting load prior to hunting and enjoy. On a side note... the ballistics on a 20 slug are considerably better than a 12 slug. It will make an excellent deer gun if you choose to use it that way.

Thanks tinboater i heard that they make a good deer gun i usually only bow hunt but i might have to try
it on deer and see how it patterns for turkey

I switched to a 20 a few years back 'cause I wanted something the wife could shoot as well. I don't regret it at all. I have 3 deer in 5 years as proof that they make a great deer gun with the rifled barrel and the right slugs(Winchester Partition Gold). Unfortunately I cannot comment on Turkey application because I don't hunt them but for other birds and bunnies it is also great and with a 3 inch mag load it doesn't kick the crap out of you. Just my 2 cents worth. This is the buck I shot last fall, one shot ,dropped where he stood, 78 yards.

Attachments

• 1202130956-02.jpg
    1202130956-02.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 18
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks