Swan Hunter Orientation Course

Tundra Swan

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

I have enclosed a copy of my letter to Mr. Toby Barrett (MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk) regarding a "Swan Hunter Orientation Course" to be developed for Ontario hunters who would like to participate in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have received some suggestions regarding such a course from individuals in the past and last week I reviewed the concept of such a course along with the benefits of taking such a course with another individual ... potentially having a Mute Swan as a "bonus bird" once the Mute Swan is removed from the List of Protective Species.

I have added the enclosed letter to my previous thread "Ontario Tundra Swan Season" for the sake of continuity and would urge everybody interested in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to review the information contained therein.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS Take a look at the on line "Swan Hunter Orientation Course" available at no charge from the State of Utah ... it is definitely more involved than the previous course available from the State of Nevada. Developing such a course for Ontario hunters will make the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season more acceptable to the non-hunting public.

Reactions: EDJ
798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

April 20, 2022

Mr. Toby Barrett
MPP, Haldimand-Norfolk
Post Office Box 91
Simcoe, Ontario
N3Y 4K8

Re: Swan Hunter Orientation Course

Dear Mr. Toby Barrett:

Further to my letter of March 08, 2022 regarding "Ontario Tundra Swan Season" that included the subsequent eight (8) parts, four (4) addendums and one (1) side bar regarding this issue as well as my letter of March 29, 2022 regarding "Delist the Mute Swan" which have generated some interesting comments from the "waterfowling" community I would like to make an offer/suggestion to the Province of Ontario that should facilitate the eventual implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have offered to sponsor the cost for Delta Waterfowl to develop a "Swan Hunter Orientation Course" that every Ontario hunter would have to successfully complete before being eligible to purchase a Tundra Swan tag. Having consulted with representatives of Delta Waterfowl we thought that a modification of the "on line" course that the State of Utah already conducts for its hunters would be appropriate for our province. However developing such a course could be considered pre-mature at this time unless both the Canadian Wildlife Service and the Province of Ontario were "on board" to accept this course.

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters could be authorized to conduct this "on line" course and to register the successful candidates in the event that the Province of Ontario would prefer not to be involved with the process. Every registered Tundra Swan hunter could then apply for a tag to harvest one (1) Tundra Swan in that particular year. As a bonus ... when the Mute Swan is delisted from the List of Protected Species every registered Tundra Swan hunter could be permitted to harvest one (1) additional Mute Swan even if that individual did not have the opportunity to purchase a Tundra Swan tag.

I have recently successfully completed the "Swan Hunter Orientation Course" provided by the State of Utah and I am now a registered "Swan Hunter" eligible to apply for a State of Utah swan tag ... the system is rather straight forward and effective from my perspective. I would also be willing to provide financial assistance through a grant from The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation to the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters or to the Province of Ontario to cover the "set up" costs involved to register our Tundra Swan hunters.

The State of Utah does not charge a fee to take their "Swan Hunter Orientation Course" or to be registered as having successfully completed this course.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Dr. L. Lewis, Member of Parliament, Haldimand-Norfolk
Mr. J. Hughes, Manager, Wildlife & Habitat Assessment, Ontario Region, CWS
Dr. J. Leafloor, Acting Head, Aquatic Unit, Prairie Region, CWS
Mr. J. Fisher, Vice-President of Canadian Policy, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. S. McGuigan, Development Director, Delta Waterfowl
Mr. A. Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. M. Ryckman, Manager of Policy, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Stewart, Manager, Wildlife Section, Conservation Policy, NDMNRF

Reactions: EDJ
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks