Smoked Maple Glazed Salmon

DaveJ

Had some salmon in the freezer from a sale at Pres Choice so decided it was smoker time. Here's my recipe.
Brine...1 cup soy sauce to 4 cups water. 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup sea salt, kosher salt..anything pure without iodine and anticlumping agents, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1 tsp ginger, and any other spices you might like. This is enough brine for about 4-5 lbs of fish..you need to be able to completely cover the fish. I leave skin on..some say skin off...whatever you prefer, but the skin protects it a bit on the smoker grills.
Put the salmon in non-reactive glass dishes or in big ziplock bags which is what I use. Cover the fish in brine, squeeze out all the air, into the fridge in big bowls in case it leaks..like I did once. I do about 2-3 lbs per bag to get good coverage. Leave 12 hrs--I do overnight.Next day, remove the fish from brine, rinse well, dry with paper towels. Place fish single layer on pans or racks and return to the fridge to dry...8 hrs or overnight. You want the fish to get a tacky coating on it..a pellicle..it helps the smoke adhere to the fish.Into the smoker..
I have a GrillPro vertical gas smoker but anyone will do. I used Texas mixed smoker pellets cause I have 3 25 bags to use..any flavour is good. Get the smoke going on as low as your smoker will go..I can get mine at around 180F which is good..some say 200F is good but it cooks a bit fast. Smoke for an hour or two then start to baste with soy sauce and maple syrup...I use 1/4 soy to 3/4 cup maple syrup. Brush every 1/2 hour. Check fish temp with a probe thermometer..it should get to 145..but we like ours a bit dryer. I likely had it in for around 6 hrs. Just taste test to see when you like the doneness. I put it in the fridge again overnight to dry the glaze, then vac seal..enjoy!1695480258994.png

1695480285305.png

nice write up, I'm going to Steelheads in St Thomas to get some salmon ASAP !!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks