Side sonar?

Alaskan1800

Looking for a new fish finder was wondering if side sonar is actually worth it? Or is just down sonar good enough. What are the benefits of side sonar?

Side scan haven’t got to use mine too much yet but will play with it a bit more Monday
You can see what bottom of the lake looks like around you. Helps find structure and holes where fish hide. Think it has different uses than down scan and regular sonar
Just get one that does it all
I bought the Lawrence FS9

Side scan is fun to play with. I'm not convinced it has ever helped put a fish in the boat.

No but it crosses my mind. Probably get snagged for sure right?

Anyways the idea of damaging it doesn't sit well with me either.
Is it just 12ft of water there?
Maybe some smallmouth around there?

I would get close and try casting to it.
Or once located with side scan scoot over and use down imagine?

I have used my side scan to mark pods of pickerel off either side of the boat, marked a pin on them and spun around and caught fish. That said, no I don’t use it a lot. In the lowrance at least, I find the 2D chirp sonar quality from the 3 in 1 transducer to be excellent. I keep the big banana transducer for that reason alone, and every so often it’s good for finding shoals or rock piles to fish on inland lakes. If I just fished the Great Lakes, I don’t know that I would bother with it, but it comes with the unit so why not. As for down imaging, I hardly ever use it. The side imager is the one I use for time to time.

In that pic I see possibly 4 fish. Likely decent smallies. The small white dots down the center. Typically those wrecks are hard to fish cause of the rock bass.

Oh right on
I’ve seen a bass boat out around there before lol

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks