Safe place to park a boat for the summer (assuming the ice melts)

jrr

I have had the good fortune to be able to buy a decent size boat and place some toys (electronics) on it that are a bit of an investment. I am excited because it will greatly extend my season on Erie. Little worried it will also greatly increase my spend on fuel -- but being out on the lake is my 'only' bad habit.

I have been looking at different places to park it in the water for the season and all I really know is Turkey Point. I realize no where is going to be 100% secure but where would you recommend I dock a boat that gives me some piece of mind? Are there places I should stay away from?

Thanks!

I'm in Old Cut Marina in Long Point. Never had any issues. George has a surveillance system in place there. He has big boathouses and large slips. Less cost than Turkey Point as well. You won't be disappointed. As for you electronics, take the units with you when you leave and that keeps the electronics safe. I take mine home everytime.

I have kept my boat at Booth's Harbour in one of the boat houses for the past three seasons and never had any problems. but like Spilliard1 i take all my electronics home with me at the end of the day. I dont really know the pricing at the other places to comment on that. Come on spring, please hurry.

I have had the good fortune to be able to buy a decent size boat and place some toys (electronics) on it that are a bit of an investment. I am excited because it will greatly extend my season on Erie. Little worried it will also greatly increase my spend on fuel -- but being out on the lake is my 'only' bad habit.

I have been looking at different places to park it in the water for the season and all I really know is Turkey Point. I realize no where is going to be 100% secure but where would you recommend I dock a boat that gives me some piece of mind? Are there places I should stay away from?

Thanks!
do not go to bay view on front road port rowan no security wide open 24 7 we had nuff of that went to shady akers this year

Thanks!
I have been at Old Cut Marina since 2004 and have not had any problems. Owner is accommodating to your needs and he is usually around working on up grades. Go to their web site and you can see the cameras in action during the ice fishing season.

Just like @spilliard1 says, @oldcutmarina has a great facility with hydro, open slips, boathouses, fuel, pumpout, full washrooms (free Wi-Fi)....lol or there is Posts Marina on the same street with open slips, hydro or no hydro slips, fuel and he's a licenced OMC/Mercury dealer

Thanks. I can't take the electronics with me... it will be Raymarine and built in. Not easy to remove without making a big mess but very attractive to anyone looking.

The boat will be a 25 footer. I have been thinking about Old Cut.

When I had a slip I always took my electronics home as well as my inflatable PFD and tackle. All my compartments had locks and left rods and reels locked on board. However I didn't have $100.00 rods and reels. Basically I would leave anything that wouldn't break the bank to replace.

Once you get into most any marina and meet some people; you'll most likely be fine, wherever you end up at. Boaters like trailer camp people, watch out for eachother; if there's a stranger even looking in the direction of your boat, you'll hear about it. My brother John (before he passed away), had his boat at Booth's for at least 20 years and I can't remember him ever telling me of a break in or things gone missing. Not too say thieving doesn't happen at marinas; but there are way too many eyes for the common thief to feel comfortable. IMHO

Dan.

I had a 22" pontoon at Marina Shores in 2014, it's a nice place, clean, playground for kids, dealer/ repair available, lots of trailers and people around all the time. I found reasonable prices for slip and supplies.

I had a 22" pontoon at Marina Shores in 2014, it's a nice place, clean, playground for kids, dealer/ repair available, lots of trailers and people around all the time. I found reasonable prices for slip and supplies.

X2

I have my boat there as well this will be my 3rd year. No trouble at all.

Thanks all for your comments! I am going to try and make a decision this week.

Just don't leave your boat there for a couple weeks in July and forget a fish in the livewell with 2 inches of water not pumped out. You wouldn't think an open air structure like a boathouse can smell bad enough to make you gag. THINK AGAIN.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks