Rookie Launcher

ColtPilot

So, just looking for some advice. This is my first year with a boat and would love to get out on the bay for the bass opener in 10 days. As it will be very busy, any thoughts on where to lauch as I'm a bit of a rookie and don't want too many people throwing sheephead at me because I'm holding them up [B)].
Any advice would be appreciated, as I won't have the luxury of Greg and the gang's help at long point. Thanks all.

Get there really early all the launches are crazy . Also practice backing it up in a empty parking lot it took me a hour to launch at the PP my first opener and we had everything ready a half hour before I could even see the launch the line was so long

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove,X-zone Lures, IMA Lures and Numa Optics for their support

Be prepared at the launch!!! have your boat ready before you get into the launch bay. You want to get your boat in and your trailer out as smoothly and quickly as you can. It will be nuts and people can get impatient with inexperience.

Just have your bow line and make sure your safety gear and tackle and such are in the boat ready to go before you get into the launch bay. Nothing irks folks more than seeing a guy taking 6 trips back to the truck to fetch things he forgot while holding up other anglers.

Have a great day on the opener.

p.s. you have 10 days to practice your launch. Go get some perch at Port Bruce. Greg will show you how to do it.

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Yes, I have been out at North Erie and will be again this weekend. Greg and the crew are awesome.
I always have everything ready, it's just getting the boat centred coming out that I struggle with a bit.
I'll give it my best - probably out of old cut of Sandbuoy on the opener.
PS nice puppy SRT8.

quote:
Originally posted by ColtPilot

Thanks guys I appreciate it. Yes, I have been out at North Erie and will be again this weekend. Greg and the crew are awesome.
I always have everything ready, it's just getting the boat centred coming out that I struggle with a bit.
I'll give it my best - probably out of old cut of Sandbuoy on the opener.
PS nice puppy SRT8.

You didn't say rollers of bunks on your trailer...but if rollers and having problems centering it on the trailer, just make sure you do NOT go to deep...every trailer/boat is different but on mine I keep half of the fenders out of the water and it centers perfectly. It took me a long time to figure that out...when going to deep it never centers right. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Here's my suggestion:

1) Watch some Youtube videos on the subject. Its good for a laugh - and to learn what NOT to do

2) Practice backing up. Go to an empty parking lot, or even just take it out of your driveway and then back into the driveway

I find the trickiest part getting the boat back out of the water. My boat is small, and the trailer narrow - can't see it in the mirrors when backing it up without the boat. By the time it comes into the mirror, already too far to that side. And I'm usually by myself which makes getting it out that much more challenging.

Bunk trailer - submerse the bunks to make them wet, then pull out so bunks are 1/2 way out of the water. Load boat, winch it up then get the heck out of the way so the next guy can back down the ramp.

CP, I put on a pair of boat guides at the back of my trailer and what a differance it made. Run you about $150 but money well spent! Launching and retrieving was a breeze after the installation and simple to install!

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Mike

CP,

I was new at the game only a few years ago and was given abit of advice that really helped me out. When you have your boat and truck lined up to back in, put your steering hand at the top of the wheel and remember to "turn into the drift". So what this means is that if you see the boat drifting to the right out of your right side mirror, turn the steering wheel that way to correct it. Same goes for the left. If you go slow enough and watch your side mirrors and make these small corrections it becomes very easy to keep it true. Hope this helps.

:):) In regards to the bow line....I think it"s a good idea to have Bow and Aft lines on your boat . Then you have full control of your boat at the launch.:):)

If your vehicle is a hatchback ,try opening it when backing down to retreive your boat .You can see the trailer easier.

Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions. About the plug.... uh. yeah - I've never forgotten, but a friend of mine went for a swim in the river in Burwell last year to quickly put his in. That water is cold in May.
CMAC - Guides on the trailer is a good suggestion - it has rollers.
Good luck this weekend all - still lots of perch out there for a good fish fry!

Just a suggestion for opening day only. Rent a slip the night before then on opening day just drive down, hop in the boat and go. You avoid all the ramp rage and congestion,I have done this for years and it works for me, gets me out on the water faster and I am not pissed at anyone. Also the day before you can take your time and not be under any pressure.The rest of the time all the above suggestions are good ideas also.

Cpilot until you gain confidence and skills, ask some other boater to back it in for you, especially on the busy opener.Then practice on the quieter days. One word about your roller trailer, do not undo the front strap or safety chain until you are backed down the ramp. Many a boat has rolled off while only 1/2 way down and can cause severe damage to the outdrive and boat. Have fun and good fishing. Oh and next year when you are at the ramp complaining about some rookie, have patience or offer your help, we've all been there. Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by Mumph

I had a trailer site on the ramp channel there for 7 years.My suggestion is come back in either before noon or after 5:00.During that time you have boats coming back and late commers trying to launch.Thats when guys start getting mad and verbal exchanges happen.i mentioned the plug because I've seen it numerous times and it's always experienced boaters.That time period is also a great time to pull up a chair and watch the gong show.

Just my two cents worth...people in general need to be a bit more patient....with everything. In the big scheme of things, waiting an extra 5 minutes for someone who hasn't had the experience is so trivial. If anything, my advice would be, take your time, get to know how the ramps feel (all are different), and don't feel bad if you have to back up and retry to get it right. We've ALL been there. I'd be the first to give someone an extra hand, rather than sit back and whine about "so and so" taking too long to get his boat on or off the trailer.

"Do or do not; there is no 'try'".
-Yoda

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks