Rio slugs

Magnum 3

Has anyone used the Rio expansive slugs ? If so , at what distances did you pattern them and are they anymore accurate then regular fosters ?

Have not used the Rio's but have moved to the lightfields. Devistating on deer and 1.5" inch groups at a 100 yrds with rifled barrel.

http://www.litfld.com/
Saw them listed at triggers . Are they a foster or sabot ? I shoot fosters in an 12 gauge 1187 and using a rifled sighted deer barrel w/screw ins . I didn't get much of a response on the lightfield's , but they were ranting about the Kent slugs at triggers and bows . Kents are still a little pricey for me at this point , but maybe with a growing interest in both of these , the price will start to fall more in line with the other brands . I pay enough already for the 20 gauge
Rottweil's I use . Other brands will work , but I researched the 20 loads and the cheaper stuff supposedly doesn't have the energy for ethical kills at greater distances . By the sounds of it , you don't want to push past 70 yds with the even the better 20 loads . Will check those Lightfield's out if they work with my slug barrel . Where did you buy yours and how much ?

Lightfields state for either barrel type. They have 4 or 5 different 12g lands. From light 2 3/4 to heavy 3.5" (ouch).

What loads are you using for whitetails?

I'm thinking the light 2 3/4 would be good for down here and for my wife as long as they shoot good thru a smooth bore.

We use the 3" I don't think you would need that. They remind me a lot of the Buckhammers from Remington. (too bad they discontinued them) very accurate and devastating. We got a buck this fall at 80 yrds from a treestand never took a step and both lungs were gone. I would suggest trying them to see if they shoot well out of your gun.

Lightfields state for either barrel type. They have 4 or 5 different 12g lands. From light 2 3/4 to heavy 3.5" (ouch).

I'm thinking the light 2 3/4 would be good for down here and for my wife as long as they shoot good thru a smooth bore.
I usually shoot 2 3/4" also , as they fly faster and don't kick as much . Federal truballs being an exception . They shoot well also . But I don't think it will still be as bad as some 3" . I always get good results with the cheap Winchesters in my 11 87 and you can get them in the 15 packs , which is cheaper than buying the 5's . Just a note for you and anyone else . I bought a box of 9 pellet Challenger 00 buckshot . Patterned at 50 yards with Affinity and Mod . choke . What a bust . Had a 3x3 cardboard up with a shoot and see in the middle . 1 pellet top left corner of board and 1 pellet bottom of of cardboard to the right of center . What a joke . Don't know how they work in the 11 87 . By looking at that I really don't care . Going to start patterning buckshot in the Affinity . But I'm sticking with the 12 and 15 pellet stuff I already use in the 1187 . If it doesn't pattern well , not a big loss . It's just lighter to carry , but I have a 20 gauge I can shoot slugs from also .
We use the 3" I don't think you would need that. They remind me a lot of the Buckhammers from Remington. (too bad they discontinued them) very accurate and devastating. We got a buck this fall at 80 yrds from a treestand never took a step and both lungs were gone. I would suggest trying them to see if they shoot well out of your gun.

RT : Are you saying the lightfields shoot like the buckhammers ? If so , were the buckhammers also 3" 12's . I picked up a few buckhammers a guy had for my 20 gauge . Something I read on the net about down range punch . You wouldn't know anyone else who has the 20's , they want to sell ? If not , I'm going to check if lightfield makes 20's . Know anyone who has shot those in a 20 gauge ?

I've had two guns with smooth bores . One with w/chokes that I use I.C in and the other had just a straight smooth bore . They both shot fine with 2 3/4 . Just find what brand works best . What I was wondering is , if anyone has used one of those Carlsson extended slug chokes and if they found much difference in improving accuracy out of guns with back bores .

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks