Red Heads and Cans

John

Took a drive down to the point on Sunday. A lot on Canvasback along the causeway. Also stopped at St. Williams and a mix of Cans and Redheads. I saw a duck trap to the left and it was full of Redheads. Had to be over twenty birds in there with over a dozen trying to get in. Looks like bird studies or whoever caught a nice load of them.

Hello John,

Although the Canvasbacks did not really show up until late in the season there was a stack of them following that cold snap on February 10 as most of the inner bay "iced up" that weekend.

I have seen the Canvasbacks pretty much every day since then and this morning there were more Canvasbacks out my back than all the other waterfowl species combined ... in fact there were probably 4 or 5 times the number of Canvasbacks than all the other waterfowl species combined.

Tundra Swans were the second most numerous species followed by Buffleheads, Ringnecks, Canada Geese and Redheads. I also saw two hen Mergansers and a pair of Wood Ducks.

A few weeks ago there were plently of Redheads, Ringnecks, Buffleheads and Common Mergansers.

There were many other flocks of ducks flying around the inner bay this morning but I cound not identify them at that distance.

This weekend should be a good one for anyone who wants to do some waterfowl viewing at Long Point.

Jerome

PS The numerous coots have kept the Bald Eagles eating well this winter.

PS I saw my first Robin this morning ... seems like spring is here!

A Large flock of Mallards working the DU field tonight too!

BD

Hello Guys,

There have been some fairly large flocks of ducks in the inner bay over the past few days.

Along with the other species that I have previously mentioned I have seen some Mallards, some Greater Scaup, a few Black Ducks, a few Gadwalls and a few Lesser Scaup the past week.

There are now massive numbers of coots around.

Jerome

PS The Tundra Swans are gone but there are a few Mute Swans around.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks