Fishing Report Quinte Walleye Report

Fish Farmer

Nov 23,24,25, 5 guys, 2 boats, caught 2 Walleye and 1 Pike
We stayed at the Picton Harbor Inn.
Both Walleye were trophy fish, both were 32" but the monster had a 22" girth, weight close to 16 LBs.
One was caught on a Stretch 20 other on a Reef Runner. 200' back flat lining near Thompsons.

very nice fish thanks for sharing...I used to fished quinte specifically Hay Bay many times for the spring opener...back then it was a 6 fish limit and no size limit...we kept the small ones and released the big ones...what do you guys do with your fish..after finding out the fish were full of toxins we quit goin..catchin a limit was never a problem back then as there was lots of fish and easy to catch during the post spawn window...

Last edited:
very nice fish thanks for sharing...I used to fished quinte specifically Hay Bay many times for the spring opener...back then it was a 6 fish limit and no size limit...we kept the small ones and released the big ones...what do you guys do with your fish..after finding out the fish were full of toxins we quit goin..catchin a limit was never a problem back then as there was lots of fish and easy to catch during the post spawn window...
We only fish shallow and we release most fish we catch, I'm not stuck on eating those Quinte eyes either.

Hey how deep were you marking fish anyways, just curious?
Marked most down around 30 to 40 FOW, course you won't mark much above that because they spook. We fish high because we like to release those Big Girls.

hey fish farmer...I was just reading a quote regarding fishin Hay bay for the big walleye coming up in january...my last time I fished quinte was a few years ago as my third last GFs parents lived in trenton..we ice fished that area a few times on safe ice conditions as that was an issue in the past for moving water in the channels where the fish are... We did get a few big ones on some days and they were fun landing them on the little ice fishin rods ...we were jiggin for them with small jigs and ice rapalas tipped with shiners....so it might be something you might want to consider...you can call up there for up to date conditions and action locations...thats what I did in the past to help connect with active fish once they would show up in decent numbers...remember ice fishing can be rewarding but it also can be like watching paint dry...you really have to work hard to locate the pockets of walleye up there on quinte ice

We only fish shallow and we release most fish we catch, I'm not stuck on eating those Quinte eyes either.
We fish high because we like to release those Big Girls.

Kudos on the catch and release. Especially those big girls.
I fish Hay Bay every year just after opener. Ten days ending Monday of the long weekend.
Couple of feeds while we're there. Bring our limit home.
Always just eaters.

042-1.jpg

Rick.

hey fish farmer...I was just reading a quote regarding fishin Hay bay for the big walleye coming up in january...my last time I fished quinte was a few years ago as my third last GFs parents lived in trenton..we ice fished that area a few times on safe ice conditions as that was an issue in the past for moving water in the channels where the fish are... We did get a few big ones on some days and they were fun landing them on the little ice fishin rods ...we were jiggin for them with small jigs and ice rapalas tipped with shiners....so it might be something you might want to consider...you can call up there for up to date conditions and action locations...thats what I did in the past to help connect with active fish once they would show up in decent numbers...remember ice fishing can be rewarding but it also can be like watching paint dry...you really have to work hard to locate the pockets of walleye up there on quinte ice
Buddy and myself keep saying were going to try the ice fishing down there, I ice fished Big Bay years ago, Mr Champ tipped with a minnow was the go to lure.

I fish Hay Bay every year just after opener. Ten days ending Monday of the long weekend.
Always just eaters.

View attachment 4034

Rick.
We only go down this time of year looking for a Walleye entree in our fishing club, we do the fish weight formula.
It's funny, the smaller fish was caught first, guy with the yellow rain suit he would have taken first place in our club, but in turn he netted the bigger fish for our other buddy which beat him out.:LOL:
And myself, I guess you would say I'm the picture taker and spectator, but he did say I could touch his fish if I want feel what one feels like, and I call him my buddy:mooning::LOL:
Trolling with the Ipilot is something else, first year with one. no motor running seems weird, can get down to any speed 1.4, 1.5, 1.6. set the direction and sit back.

hey fishfarmer that I pilot sounds great...I didn't really pay much attention to the guys that have one and use one....I been fishin LSC spring walleye for decades...and I been trollin draggin pails over the side for years to get down to 1.2 ...and yep it works and yep I catch my pics

What does a unit like that take to set it all up ...What kind of cost were you into for batteries and connections and the unit itself..and a bow mount...just wondered..

I do have my 2.5 suzuki 4 stroke that I haven't tried yet either...so maybe life will get a little easier down there at LSC this spring for trollin the post spawn pics.. last season was great for numbers...hoping for a repeat season..except for those nuisance muskies breaking us off...lol

It's funny, the smaller fish was caught first, guy with the yellow rain suit he would have taken first place in our club, but in turn he netted the bigger fish for our other buddy which beat him out.:LOL:
OUCH!
By the time opener rolls around the big girls are done and gone. Lots in the 4-7 lb. range.
Never caught one at that time of year in the double digits.
Anything larger than 4 lives to fight another day.
Quinte is an amazing fishery.
Hope to help keep it that way for many years to come.

Rick.

Wow that 16 pounder is one big honkin walleye. Look at the belly on that thing! - nice goin Fish Farmer.
Food for thought regarding safety of eating Ontario sportfish. I read the guide and often wonder how much toxin is in a can of salmon taken from the ocean. I here about serious toxic stuff there. Like the radiation leak from the Japan reactor a few years ago. Do you think Lake Ontario fish are less toxic than some of the ocean fish we buy at the grocery store - possible huh? I would like to see a Guide To Eating Pacific Ocean Sport Fish. Could be some zero meals per month from that area.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried slow trolling/back trolling jigging raps for walleye on Lake Erie?

Last edited:
hey fishfarmer that I pilot sounds great...I didn't really pay much attention to the guys that have one and use one....I been fishin LSC spring walleye for decades...and I been trollin draggin pails over the side for years to get down to 1.2 ...and yep it works and yep I catch my pics

What does a unit like that take to set it all up ...What kind of cost were you into for batteries and connections and the unit itself..and a bow mount...just wondered..

I do have my 2.5 suzuki 4 stroke that I haven't tried yet either...so maybe life will get a little easier down there at LSC this spring for trollin the post spawn pics.. last season was great for numbers...hoping for a repeat season..except for those nuisance muskies breaking us off...lol

80 Lb. 24 volt MinKota motor was $1800 On board Charger was $275, 2, 27 ser. deep cycle batteries $140 each then add tax on all pieces.

Always just eaters.
View attachment 4034

I caught a lot of the smaller wallys on Erie this year and agree they are better eating than the big girls. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks