Questions, always questions. Lead core.

Off Duty

It's how we learn right? Lead core is the question. I hope you guys don't mind sharing some of your wisdom and maybe opinions when it comes to this.

I would like to get away from Dipseys and try lead core. A few questions if I may:

What speed do most guys using lead core troll at? Is it still effective if you need to pick the speed up to 3 MPH? How many colours would you recommend? (I am leaning toward 1 core). And if I may, to get 1 core on including backing, what size reel would you use? Anything you specifically recommend?

Any tips or general info would be appreciated. I have researched a lot on the net but its always best to know form the people that actually fish where I spend most of my time trying to catch fish.

Thank you in advance for your time.

I only have one lead core rig and it's 5 colours. Lead is sometimes the most effective way to get fish in the boat and it does produce fish on a consistent basis. I would run core off of planner boards as you can then run more lines staggered from the board to the boat. Most I see run two or three rods per side. At the outset of the season when the walleyes are higher in the water column use a five colour as the season progresses use more colours to get deeper down. By mid August most folks are running 10 colours but usually that's as much as you need. For that reason some guys set up their lead core reels with say 5 colours then some braid and then add 3 more colours then some braid and then put on the last 2 colours and then their florocarbon leader. Depending on how your boat is equipped you may have to add a planer board mast and make the investment in a couple really good boards. I would recommend Okuma convector 45's for your reels as they have a good line capacity and are reliable to a fault. They run about 125 bucks each and that's loaded with your choice of line ( lead or braid ).

The key to lead and it's effectiveness in my opinion is how it travels through the water. It sort of undulates in the water not just dragged behind the boat and that imparts an erratic swimming action to your lure be it a spoon or body bait.

Hope this is of some value and guys feel free to elaborate

Peace

I agree with Chromeseeker with much of what he said especially to make sure you get a 45 series reel in order to have enough line capacity to put a couple hundred yds. of braid on for backing along with the 10 colour lead core line and a 25 ft. fluorocarbon leader. You can decide which way you want to set it up whether breaking up the lead core into 5, 3 & 2 as Chromeseeker recommended or as I do using all 10 colours putting out only what I need on any given day. It's all a matter of preference as both ways work fine. I use 10 colour on some reels and 5 on others to run on planer boards when the fish are up higher in the water column or running deep diving body baits to attain more depth than the lure is capable of on it's own. With walleye especially I have not found a more productive method for success when trolling on Erie. The only drawback is it's a heck of a lot of line to haul in especially when the farm animals and silvers won't leave your bait alone. Chromeseeker is also right about the action, it gives your lures movement as the lead core waves through the water raising and lowering the bait rather than swimming in an unnatural straight line. It also is stealthy quiet rather than the hum of a downrigger cable and ball being dragged through the water which I think scares more walleye than it ever attracts.

As far as trolling speed the faster you go naturally the higher the lead core will come up but that's also true to some extent when using riggers due to blow-back. But at 3 mph it's not a problem as some days I troll at 3.5 mph when it's productive.

As far as reels, again all a matter of preference but Okuma is hard to beat for the money. I use Okuma Clarion CLR-45D line counter reels and they have worked great for me and don't break the bank. Hope this is of some help.

Okuma Clarion CLR-45D Line Counter
$T2eC16NHJHoFGlbIs,ZIBSO1QU0ntg~~60_35.JPG

Thanks Whitetailhunter for elaborating further. I learned something new from your input. As I indicated I only have the one 5 colour core rig but am looking at adding three more rigs over the winter I do believe it is the method of choice for lots of guys as it is a great presentation. Just have to build up the guns for next season for all that cranking. Maybe an electric reel hmmmmmmmm!

I have a 5 colour setup and I add one of those torpedo divers to it later in the season to get more depth with only a little extra reeling...I just got one of the directional ones but did not get a chance to try it. I have been told that it'll move the line 10+ feet off the side of the boat but I have not seen yet to judge for myself...works like a charm for getting the LC way down without adding hundreds of feet.

I have a couple dive bombs I picked up at Angling Outfitters for the same reason. They do work but I have a hard time getting the little buggers off when I got to boat a fish.

I use one of the or-16 red clips and attach an 18" wire leader then hook the other end of the leader to the diver. The red clip is pretty easy to take off...once you get a hold of it that is. I set it onto the backing right by the knot to the leadcore - maybe a metre back. I have this holo antifreeze spoon that worked very well on this rig year before last....

I have a 5 colour setup and I add one of those torpedo divers to it later in the season to get more depth with only a little extra reeling...I just got one of the directional ones but did not get a chance to try it. I have been told that it'll move the line 10+ feet off the side of the boat but I have not seen yet to judge for myself...works like a charm for getting the LC way down without adding hundreds of feet.

I would think that putting on a torpedo diver would interfere with the wave action of the lead core which is why it works as well as it does. Do you find a difference in the catch rate when using them with your lead core set-up? Many anglers on Lake Ontario are now using lead core set-ups for salmon and trout as they are finding what it does for the lure action is increasing their catch rates for the same reason. If they are difficult to get off when landing a fish I can't imagine what a disaster it would be with a 38 lb. King on the line.

Really appreciate all your input guys. I think planner boards and a couple more rods will definitely be on the list for next season. I am curious if anyone is using the new micro lead core lines? I was looking at the 18lb line which indicates a breaking strength of 53 lb!! and I keep thinking why bother with bigger line? The sink rate is same and I can get lighter smaller reels? Curious what your thoughts are?

I was thinking the same thing the next time I need new lead core. The maker states it's 3X thinner but 3X stronger and if that's the case you should be able to achieve the capacity your looking for using a smaller size reel such as a 30 series. They claim the TUF-LINE MicroLead 18 lb. using spectra fiber braid has 53 lb. actual breaking strength, is .023 inch diameter the same thickness as 20 lb. mono. The spectra fiber is much more abrasion resistant and the thinner diameter makes it easier to let out as well as smoother retrieving with reduced drag. Makes perfect sense to me.

I would think that putting on a torpedo diver would interfere with the wave action of the lead core which is why it works as well as it does. Do you find a difference in the catch rate when using them with your lead core set-up? Many anglers on Lake Ontario are now using lead core set-ups for salmon and trout as they are finding what it does for the lure action is increasing their catch rates for the same reason. If they are difficult to get off when landing a fish I can't imagine what a disaster it would be with a 38 lb. King on the line.

I'm sure that putting the extra weight will have some effect on the rise & fall rate of the leadcore I hadn't thought of that but there is still around 200 feet out there after the diver to perform whatever action it wants. That's more than a 3 colour setup of course which seems to work especially early in the season. So maybe there is only a certain number of colours required to get the action? I have also wondered if there is a reason that leadcore works as effectively as it does or if it is just a matter of putting the bait in the right zone away from the disturbance from the boat... that's what I'm counting on (and I am definitely not an expert). I'd love to see footage of it under the water - it would be great to see it as the fish do. Also I wouldn't say that those OR 16 clips are difficult to get off the line but as you say, things are complicated when fishing salmon compared to walleyes

Back