Question regarding trailer winch post set up

Joe1984

This was how it was setup when I bought the boat but dont think I feel it's right.
What's the best or proper way on having this set up and where the hook isn't into the roller and not having so much tension on the bow?

Attachments

• 20180719_150023.jpg
    20180719_150023.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
  • 20180719_150043.jpg
    20180719_150043.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 139
Yep that looks funky to me as well. I set mine up for a straight pull and the roller lines up just above the eye. I have no technical basis for this but it works for me. try Shorelander or ez loader web site and see if they have set up tips

Imo I would say the yellow roller needs to be raised up a bit so the roller is above the eyelet that's how mine came from factory set up I can take a pic this weekend and show you. Mines a shorelander with the same winch setup.

To me it looks like your strap needs to go over the top of the roller. That way the eyelet stays above the roller and not trying to pull the bow downward. My buddy has the same trailer and that's how his is set up.
Imo I would say the yellow roller needs to be raised up a bit so the roller is above the eyelet that's how mine came from factory set up I can take a pic this weekend and show you. Mines a shorelander with the same winch setup.

However if that's how @Quacker_Smacker trailer came from factory I would try his way first but things may vary depending on the size and type of boat.

Hope you figure it out @Joe1984

Strap is in the correct spot but you either have to lower your bunks or raise your winch setup so that your roller touches the boat just before you get to the eyelet.
If you can lower your bunks and maintain clearance for the boat from touching your frame it allows for easier launches and you wont have to back in as far.

I did that just after posting this and didnt seem to change too much. I moved the post back and extended it up.

Strap is in the correct spot but you either have to lower your bunks or raise your winch setup so that your roller touches the boat just before you get to the eyelet.
If you can lower your bunks and maintain clearance for the boat from touching your frame it allows for easier launches and you wont have to back in as far.
I think this is the best idea but I have 2 1/2 inches up front before I hit the frame and 3 inches in the back. Going to try this next time I get the boat off the trailer or maybe try with it on.

So what I did try was bringing the post back as far as I could and raising it up. It did help with the boat meeting up against the roller nice and not having to force it down to the roller. Better but the hook is still into the roller.
Bringing the bunks down I think it next but I will only have max 2 inches that I can bring them down and that will give me half inch between the boat and frame of the trailer.
Any other ideas other than removing the winch off the boat ?

Attachments

• 20180719_205944.jpg
    20180719_205944.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 73
  • 20180719_210221.jpg
    20180719_210221.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
If u can lower the piece the strap is going over a little and drop the bunks 1 inch I think would do it.

yep looks really close as long as the roller is supporting the boat and you are not pulling down into it

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Here's how mine sits hopefully this helps. I showed how low it sits on the trailer too. It goes on and off super easy I load it and unload it every trip as we don't have a dock or slip and it's real nice. I do it alone with ease.

yep looks really close as long as the roller is supporting the boat and you are not pulling down into it
Yeah got that fixed. Before adjusting it, it was getting pulled down towards the roller.
I hope dropping the bunks down a inch or so that will keep the hook off the roller

The pictures you showed last is how mine is set up from the factory. The eyelet is almost touching the roller, maybe 1/2” away but it will not go any closer.

Back