Fishing Report Port Glasgow Walleye - Tues. July 4

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Another beauty day to fish on Erie except for that fish killing east wind. The 2 of us started in 57 ft. and worked our way out to 71 ft. going west then pulled lines and went 4 miles east but only catching a single 2 lb. walleye for our efforts. Tried various body baits and spoons mixing colours without much luck. Several boats were out and everybody on the radio was experiencing what we were and also complaining about the east wind. After catching a nice walleye at Bruce the day before perch fishing I said what the heck lets stop and give it a try in shallow on the way in, you never know. Once we got into 48 to 43 fow started marking some in amongst bait only 15-18 ft. down so put down 2 riggers at 18 and 20 ft., and 2 lead core 3 and 4 colour. We picked up 6 more before they stopped hitting so ended the day 7 for 7 all nice eaters between 2-4 1/2 lbs. Can't help but think if only we were in shallow through the best part of the morning. The only boat we talked to that had some success got 3 bows and a few walleye.

Lures that worked:
2 on Storm Original Hot N' Tot (silver-black back)
2 on Silver Streak Mini-copper back (Jerry Lee)
2 on Knock-Out (blueberry muffin)
1 on Silver Streak Mini (can't remember the colour :confused:)

IMG_1258.JPG

Way to go Wave runner! I am wondering if the fish being suspended in shallower than you would expect is due to where the bait is or temperature preference for the bait or walleye? Is there a defined thermocline set up yet this year? I also just read an article that claims there is a major shortage of emerald shiners this year in Lake Erie. I would expect the eyes to be having a big munch on the smelt schools though...

Sounds pretty good to me Bob! Went out with Albert again yesterday for a few hours. Skunked at the Elbow on Monday and we picked up one 9 pound 7 ounce eye off the Nanticoke Shoal yesterday using 5 colour lead core and a Ripplin Redfin. Only bite we had and we didn't see another boat out there fishing. The fact that we were completely alone tells you a lot about the current status of the walleye fishery in Long Point Bay.

Way to go Wave runner! I am wondering if the fish being suspended in shallower than you would expect is due to where the bait is or temperature preference for the bait or walleye? Is there a defined thermocline set up yet this year? I also just read an article that claims there is a major shortage of emerald shiners this year in Lake Erie. I would expect the eyes to be having a big munch on the smelt schools though...
I believe the walleye are in close because the water temps have remained lower than usual at this time of year. I think I heard of more walleye caught this year by people perch fishing including myself than any other year I can remember. Every time perch fishing I also marked lots of big hooks I'm sure are mostly walleye.

Another unusual thing is the lady on the radio from the Port Glasgow Marina told me that the perch are in 70 fow off Glasgow. Which would verify the big schools I was marking on bottom when I trolled in 70 ft. yesterday. Everything else I marked was up high 15-25 ft. down. I run the riggers down near the bottom to see if the schools of small hooks were possibly small walleye but zero hits. As the Marina lady said they are perch but they are not that deep at Bruce so maybe something different going on to the west this year?

Sounds pretty good to me Bob! Went out with Albert again yesterday for a few hours. Skunked at the Elbow on Monday and we picked up one 9 pound 7 ounce eye off the Nanticoke Shoal yesterday using 5 colour lead core and a Ripplin Redfin. Only bite we had and we didn't see another boat out there fishing. The fact that we were completely alone tells you a lot about the current status of the walleye fishery in Long Point Bay.

Let the eyes season begin Bob.
Good idea on trying a bit different game, shallower.[/QUOTE

I'm sure things will heat up soon down your way Arnie now that the water is finally warming some. Everything is late this year and the east end is usually a little behind the west end of Erie anyway isn't it?

Yes Emil time for boxing some eyes! Just to mention that the one boat I talked to said on Monday they were catching nothing but when the wind changed to the south he said they were rocketing walleye all over the place at Glasgow. That hated east wind really dampened the bite yesterday for sure, the 6 of 7 we caught were after it switched to SE. Maybe time for you and Arnie to give Glasgow a try. They are definitely here with the tons of big hooks I marked yesterday.

Another beauty day to fish on Erie except for that fish killing east wind. The 2 of us started in 57 ft. and worked our way out to 71 ft. going west then pulled lines and went 4 miles east but only catching a single 2 lb. walleye for our efforts. Tried various body baits and spoons mixing colours without much luck. Several boats were out and everybody on the radio was experiencing what we were and also complaining about the east wind. After catching a nice walleye at Bruce the day before perch fishing I said what the heck lets stop and give it a try in shallow on the way in, you never know. Once we got into 48 to 43 fow started marking some in amongst bait only 15-18 ft. down so put down 2 riggers at 18 and 20 ft., and 2 lead core 3 and 4 colour. We picked up 6 more before they stopped hitting so ended the day 7 for 7 all nice eaters between 2-4 1/2 lbs. Can't help but think if only we were in shallow through the best part of the morning. The only boat we talked to that had some success got 3 bows and a few walleye.

Lures that worked:
2 on Storm Original Hot N' Tot (silver-black back)
2 on Silver Streak Mini-copper back (Jerry Lee)
2 on Knock-Out (blueberry muffin)
1 on Silver Streak Mini (can't remember the colour :confused:)

View attachment 5375
That's a very detailed report good job searching out those elusive walleye's !! Thanx for the report(y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks