Port Bruce pier this evening

Fine Line

Thinking about trying the pier tonight after work.Forecast says winds from the W switching to NNW.Does that make for a dry pier?Also does Betty have live minnows?
Thx in advance for your advice!

I can't answer your question about Betty having minnows. She didn't when I was down on Monday, but that was 4 days ago. She might have now. I know that NEM does, and I know that A&L in Pt Stanley does (but he isn't open today will be tomorrow)

As for a dry pier, that depends on how strong the winds are from the west. Looking at the weather sites I go to, one says it's going to be a perfect day to go sit on the pier. Light SW switching to W switching to NW winds that wouldn't be strong enough to have the lake breaking over the pier at all before that change to NW....but 2 of the other 3 show strong SW and W winds before it switches to the NW just before it gets dark...The weather buoy south of Pt Stanley is currently showing a flat lake.....a wave height of 0.0 ft.......https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45132

I can also tell you this, from my own experiences, I have checked all the weather sites I check, then looked out my window here at home in London. Every site is favorable and screams "go fishin"....I look out the window and the trees aren't moving at all......so I go.....when I get to the pier, there is a much stronger wind blowing than they said would be, usually from the complete opposite direction they said it would be blowing out of and the lake is rough on one side or the other and breaking over the pier..........and by "they" that means every weather site I go to, what local tv weather says, and what my own eyes have told me.....Every so often they nail it and get it right, but more often than not this year.....what I just described has been the situation on arrival.....

Now all that said, IF it were me...anything over 15km/hr from any direction that isn't from the NW or the N.....I probably am not going.........based on everything I have seen on the weather sites I go to and what they're saying for today, tomorrow and Saturday....off the pier....I'd be going through the day today, I'd be going tonight, I'd be going tomorrow but keep in mind tomorrow is showing moderate to strong N winds and if they're right that's not a bad thing off the pier. I'd also be going Saturday as it says it will be better yet with very light winds.......any forecast past a couple days out, generally I don't trust so much because it's bound to change.......and usually does.

Thanks for taking the time to direct me Trevor M.I appreciate your knowledge.I hope to head down tonight.Its a shame I cant get minnows from the marina!He's a good guy and generous scoops!Hope bridge is repaired
soon.?

Thanks for taking the time to direct me Trevor M.I appreciate your knowledge.I hope to head down tonight.Its a shame I cant get minnows from the marina!He's a good guy and generous scoops!Hope bridge is repaired
soon.?

You can still get minnows from NEM. You go down Imperial Road (Hwy 73) like you normally would coming from Aylmer. Get your minnows then you just head back up the hill towards Aylmer again. The detour has you go all the way to John Wise Line. I don't go that far. I turn at Sparta Road and take it into the main intersection in Sparta, then turn left and head back towards the lake and Dexter Line. From the time I get my minnows from NEM to sitting on the pier with a line in the water........20 minutes. I've also gone to A&L baits in Pt Stanley, then gone to the pier in Bruce. The delay in getting a line in the water from the time I got my minnows from either NEM or A&L is the same, about 20 minutes. Don't let the detour stop you from getting your bait from the marina if that's where you prefer to get them.

and just to show how quickly it can change. The weather buoy south of Pt Stanley is showing 11.7 knots out of the south, (that's about 22km/hr) and waves of 1 ft. That's enough to have them breaking or near breaking over the pier. The one site is now showing 13km/hr from the WSW, that is different than what it was showing this morning. In addition, there is a very strong southerly wind blowing here at home. The trees are moving enough that if you were to ask me the same question now that I answered earlier......nope, I wouldn't be going today now. I'd wait til tomorrow morning.

The other thing to consider, there are now thunderstorm watches and warnings popping up. There is currently a thunderstorm just north of my place by the airport in London. VERY dark skies....frequent thunder....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm in London now.Its pouring!Thanks for the update.I think I'll skip tonight's excursion!

Should be ok tomorrow tho if you can get out. I was driving through it, my wife wanted to do a little shopping and bribed me with lunch again lol. The bridge over the river on Clarke Road became home to a massive puddle that spanned both lanes and it was deep.......saw it before I got there when the guy in front of me went through it, and I slowed down big time, not only was that something to contend with, but there was a dump truck comin at me from the opposite direction and that idiot didn't slow up at all......covered my poor little mazda tribute...

Should be ok tomorrow tho if you can get out. I was driving through it, my wife wanted to do a little shopping and bribed me with lunch again lol. The bridge over the river on Clarke Road became home to a massive puddle that spanned both lanes and it was deep.......saw it before I got there when the guy in front of me went through it, and I slowed down big time, not only was that something to contend with, but there was a dump truck comin at me from the opposite direction and that idiot didn't slow up at all......covered my poor little mazda tribute...
Hope you dried out and made it home safely.?

oh yeah, been in much worse. Just glad when that dump truck swamped me it didn't drown my truck.

Glad ya made it out alive!
Looks like high winds outta the N for tomorrow morning.22-28 km/h.Pier still an option ya think?

Yep. Sitting on the pier an offshore wind is a good thing unless it's coming out of the NE. Tomorrow morning by 6am its supposed to be out of the NNW at 15 km/hr and it's supposed to shift slightly and blow from the N at the same intensity around noon. It'll be windy, but it should be fishable because it's an offshore wind and by Saturday morning at 6am it's supposed to be 5km/hr from the N.

Don't forget the perch derby is Saturday and Sunday in Pt. Bruce, so it's bound to be busy this weekend down there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks