Fishing Report Pike/Perch - Bluff Bar - Friday, May 19th

Duck Soup

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Canvasback had a commitment at 4:00 pm and will be sorry he cancelled. Albert and I arrived at Bluff Bar at 12:45 pm and had a real slow start. By 1:30 I was congratulating him for finally eliminating the skunk by catching our first fish. I need not have worried because by 2:30 we were catching two at a time. Albert counted and said he caught 14 pike and a perch. As guide, net boy, electric motor operator and hook remover I didn't count but got some as well. I took a picture of Albert's last fish below. Most were 3 to 4 pounds but Albert did get one that probably went 6 pounds. We quit at 3:30 pm. Water temperature was 56F and we fished jigs. Talked to anglers using lures and swim baits. Nobody was complaining. The weather was great!

Canvasback had a commitment at 4:00 pm and will be sorry he cancelled. Albert and I arrived at Bluff Bar at 12:45 pm and had a real slow start. By 1:30 I was congratulating him for finally eliminating the skunk by catching our first fish. I need not have worried because by 2:30 we were catching two at a time. Albert counted and said he caught 14 pike and a perch. As guide, net boy, electric motor operator and hook remover I didn't count but got some as well. I took a picture of Albert's last fish below. Most were 3 to 4 pounds but Albert did get one that probably went 6 pounds. We quit at 3:30 pm. Water temperature was 56F and we fished jigs. Talked to anglers using lures and swim baits. Nobody was complaining. The weather was great!
It was nice to talk to you and Albert today. Yes the pike were hungry, I lost just as many as I caught. Reddog

Awesome again Arnie!!! Didn't get out till 3 pm & decided just 2 set up in front of Ole Cut with Jimmy's amazing minnows! 6 FOW which right now means ur pretty close 2 shore!!!!! B4 the winds swung around it was crazy perchin! No complaints considering the winds don't look very good 4 the next few days! BTW They were really hitting the minnows hard & fast!!!!!⚓

That's great pike fishing. Perhaps you would answer one question for me. What depth range do you usually fish at Bluff Bar for the pike? Thank you

Wanted to send thanks to duck soup and three bouys for pike advice. Used the F18 and my son did well with 3 in the boat and one lost at the side due to his fathers slow net response. I got only one but at 7 lbs it was the big one of the day. Fished from 3:30 to 6:30 at the bluffs, wind came up shifted around and they cooled off. All and all a good afternoon on the lake with my son.

Attachments

• 20170519_175210.jpg
    20170519_175210.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 39
That's great pike fishing. Perhaps you would answer one question for me. What depth range do you usually fish at Bluff Bar for the pike? Thank you
It varies, I was casting up shallow and reeling back into deep water and when that slowed I fished deep to shallow. Try casting at different angles if one is not working.
Reddog

It varies, I was casting up shallow and reeling back into deep water and when that slowed I fished deep to shallow. Try casting at different angles if one is not working.
Reddog
Agree with Reddog who we exchanged strategy with yesterday. The changing angles was what worked. As we were drifting east (with the help of the bow mount) Albert was casting north. 90% of his strikes came after worked the jig on the drift and suddenly starting retrieving it from the north-west. That caused a sudden change in direction and it was all too much for the pike to resist. Since I cast from the middle of the boat and not the bow I was unable to duplicate his strategy and had half as many opportunities.

I went out to bluffs yesterday from 12-4. We had some luck casting spoons. Unfortunately my gf wasn't feeling that well (but still wanted to fish) so we put the cover up and started a slow troll going from shallow to the drop off, back and forth but that had no luck. Glad to see some other people got into fish while out there

We will be back out next chance we get!

Wanted to send thanks to duck soup and three bouys for pike advice. Used the F18 and my son did well with 3 in the boat and one lost at the side due to his fathers slow net response. I got only one but at 7 lbs it was the big one of the day. Fished from 3:30 to 6:30 at the bluffs, wind came up shifted around and they cooled off. All and all a good afternoon on the lake with my son.
Glad to help you out @Richardscott999 There isn't much of a variety in the F18's but I have everyone of them and I keep looking for a new style. I'm probably sitting with aleast 30 of them and some are pretty beat up but still works fine. I've had to retire a few due to breakage. I will remove the original treble hooks and install the next size up. It just makes it a little easier getting the hooks out of the net. I was going to try using a double hook rather than trebles but was talked out of it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks