PIKE In Long Pt Bay?

GDOG

I am still pretty new to fishing the bay.
What size of Pike inside the bay is considered big?

I have seen some very small pike in the cuts lately but nothing bugger than 2lb ish. Have the larger ones left by now and are in deeper water...and harder to catch? I met a group fishing around Potahock pt and they had caught one 5lbs and considered it Big.

Do any of you veteran bay guys have a theory on the movement of larger pike after the spawn, water temps, depths etc.
I have found it interesting to talk with a few of the better known guys about Pike in the bay. Everyone has said Bluff bar is the place in the next few weeks but even then there doesn't seem to be many catching anything larger than 5-10lbers. I do not have the boat needed to fish Bluff bar or too far from Old cut. This is not about looking for spots. If any of you know about any MNR studies on LP Pike please direct me to the right spot to review.
I couldn't fish the pike tourney yesterday but if any of those fishermen have any thoughts please jump in.

Thanks!

GDOG - I've fished pike in this area since 1980 and after receiving my Lake Erie Diarist 2016 total catch summery it looks like I reported 196 last year. I can tell you that personally I have never landed a pike that exceeded 14 pounds in this area. 5 to 10 pounders are fairly common but we only get a few 11 to 14 pounders a year. I've seen and lost fish up to maybe 18 pounds but the biggest certified catch I know of was about 23 pounds and caught before I moved here. You can check with the LPBAA or the Strait Line Anglers who run annual tournaments for a more objective sample weights.

Last edited:
GDOG - I've fished pike in this area since 1980 and after receiving my Lake Erie Diarist 2016 total catch summery it looks like I reported 196 last year. I can tell you that personally I have never landed a pike that exceeded 14 pounds in this area. 5 to 10 pounders are fairly common but we only get a few 11 to 14 pounders a year. I've seen and lost fish up to maybe 18 pounds but the biggest certified catch I know of was about 23 pounds and caught before I moved here. You can check with the LPBAA or the Strait Line Anglers who run annual tournaments for a more objective sample weights.
@Duck Soup here my 2 record personal bests.

I hate to bring back memories for @stomp but he wasn't fast enough to grab the pole.
August 17 2013

16.3 lbs
IMG_0012.JPG

Then again with @stomp @Chasneyes and Derek who actually reeled it in.
August 28 2015

15.1lbs
IMG_0767.JPG

Nice eyes. Nice gators too. I don't target pike anymore. Spoiled from my years living in the NWT. If I catch one, I catch one, but they don't thrill me the way they did when I was a kid before we moved out west. Still fun to catch tho if that's all I catch :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks